What's new

Tesoros in Canada

kando

Full Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2008
Messages
143
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
....Tesoro conquistador , minelab sovereign
I know that the Minelabs does not work good in Canada on the Canada coins But does the Tesoros do good on the canada coins?
 
I live 16 miles from the Canadian border and I have found several Canadian coins here with mine. Should not be a problem.
 
The TEJON will sound off on a canadian coin nicely and once you get the habg of it you can actually tell what type of coin is in the ground - Quarter/nickel/penny etc
 
I never met a Tesoro I didn't like and any of them would work great in Canada on those coins.
 
I've heard of that before but I just cant see the logic :icon_scratch: A coin is a coin is a coin. In fact the detectors I have been around sound off to smashed soda cans, washers, rivets, etc. What do they claim is the difference with Canadian coins? I imagine some different metals are used but cant see where that would matter. Maybe something to do with the soil?? I have just about every Canadian coin there is in my collection. I will make a garden and see what happens with my Cortes. Maybe it all stemmed from some kind of a joke? I'm personally curious as to whats behind this myth.
 
shanegalang said:
I've heard of that before but I just cant see the logic :icon_scratch: A coin is a coin is a coin. In fact the detectors I have been around sound off to smashed soda cans, washers, rivets, etc. What do they claim is the difference with Canadian coins? I imagine some different metals are used but cant see where that would matter. Maybe something to do with the soil?? I have just about every Canadian coin there is in my collection. I will make a garden and see what happens with my Cortes. Maybe it all stemmed from some kind of a joke? I'm personally curious as to whats behind this myth.
It is not a myth in disc. mode with my Minelab it will not pick up newer canada coins . My garrett and White will sound off loud and clear but my Minelabs will not make a sound.. It is in the Junk metal they use in the canada coins............... No myth there i know for a fact................ Why do you think Willie from Canada had his minelab up for sale it would not pick up the newer Canada coins..............
 
What in the world do they use? The american cents after 82 are zinc.....cant get much worst. Interesting. Some weird alloy? Aint exactly 440C stainless huh? lol
I guess that could be a good thing, wouldnt have to worry about digging some crap metal. Cheers, Shane
 
Minelabs automaticlly ignore the less conductive metals which many times are just junk. Canadian coins have this less conductive metal so this is why Minelabs don't see them as well. Zinc is fairly conductive so it sounds off. It has nothing to do with the value of the coin. In Canada they mint Loonies and Toonies which are $1 and $2 dollar coins and are used more than we use our $1 dollar coins.
 
So this is what they are doing. Learn something new everyday.

Volatile base metal prices and rising production costs have created global demand for an alternative to the conventional coin. The Mint's revolutionary patented multi-ply plated steel technology offers significant advantages:

Substantial savings in time and materials: multi-ply plating uses less nickel, copper or bronze than usual methods, and is dramatically quicker than single-ply
Superior performance: nickel plate resists tarnishing better than cupronickel and ferritic stainless steel
Heightened security: multi-ply coins possess optimum electromagnetic readability, to ensure security and prevent vending machine fraud
Since 2000, the Canadian government has saved millions of dollars thanks to multi-ply plated steel. Our customers throughout the world also benefit from the Mint's advanced technology.
 
All our new coins are IRON based. Hell, even our penny will stick to a magnet. Basically, when hunting these coins, you've gotta accept into the iron range. Loonies & Toonies will generally give a decent signal (the loons will often read from pulltab to zinc) but can read anywhere on the VDI. This becomes much worse when the ground is heavily mineralized and/or the coins are buried. I don't know how many times I've hunted behind others and scooped up a pile of new coins, especially new dimes and, yup, that's why I gave up on the Sov. If they'd extended the disc. down into the iron range it would have been a great detctor but, as it is, it just plain sux for Canadian coins. On the Canadian MD forum there were a few discussions regarding BBS/FBS detectors and our coins and the conclusion was that, unless you hunt in all metal mode with these detectors, you're just plain outta luck. This includes the SE. Right now I have an M6 which bangs on our coins, as does the MXT. The F75 gives any below a Loony a nice solid iron reading. ..Willy.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom