✅ SOLVED Test your skills on this one! Spent years trying to ID this.

musclecar

Oct 15, 2006
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
White MXT
I found this in Alaska about 10 years ago, and have never been able to ID it. It is an aluminum piece, about 3 inches square. It has 15 teeth and is numbered 1-15. There is a stop preventing it from spinning freely. The back has two tabs that may have been used to mount it. ANY GUESSES?

Thanks,

MC

PS The quarter used for size was found yesterday! 1935S Yeah!

Attachments

• dial1.jpg
    dial1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 40,797
  • dial2.jpg
    dial2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 38,902
  • dial3.jpg
    dial3.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 38,913

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have this red herring in the back of my mind. Using the analytical approach like midden monster, I think it was mounted on another part, perhaps by a brad through the backup plate. Someone mentioned the two hangers or clips on the backup plate, but there are also two larger holes and I can see some wear on the one on the left looking at it from behind. So, some kind of fastener might have gone through there. And since it freewheels, something probably fit into the notch to hold it in place until the next number was up. I still can't get the gear indicator out of my mind for a 15 speed racing or cross country bicycle. Hmmmm, let me see if I can find a pic of the gear indicator I am talking about. Monty

Attachments

• gear shift.jpg
    gear shift.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 32,224
Upvote 0

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden
the one I seen was mounted on a rabbit cge or chicken coup,My guess is still a counter but what?
a fertility counter of sometype to predict when animal was in estrus?
a vaacination reminder?
A chicken egg productivity counter?
Keep this post alive
I just gotta know, was it five or six?

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
ivan salis claimed to know... I asked for some kid of independent verification but he has not returned? Maybe he was kidding and I feel for it hook, line, sinker. :-\

Upvote 0

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I don't know guys,but whatever it 'counted' or 'reversed' at intervals,I believe that something rode within the sprocket,not on the fingers.Something would drop into the cavities and ride up on the next 'finger'.Maybe it did count twine or wire,or inches??????

Upvote 0

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mother-in-law would count every stroke when she played golf. . . she had (needed) something like this attached to her golf bag to add her score up on every hole.

I really don't have a clue what this is. . . It can't be THAT old since it's made from aluminum. . . it does seem well machined/stamped but not really designed for any "heavy-duty" industrial applications.

If you were to "roll" the sprockets across a soft surface, what would the distance be between the indentations made by the sprockets? Maybe this will spark an additional clue.

Good luck,
watercolor

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
pather said:
(Laughs) Seriously guys, how many hours have you spent trying to ID this?

I've spent many hours... jeez, it's driving me crazy! ??? Then, after it went away and I was able to sleep again at night it came back!

I'm going with Mrs. O's hay baler thought and calling it good. ;)

I'm never looking at this post again!! >:(

I'll be checking it tomorrow... :-\

Upvote 0

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've sent this link to everybody I know around here and nobody has been brave enough to even take a guess, lol!!!

Upvote 0

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
I have seen this before, its a part of a boiler thermostat if I remember correctly. it slides into a plate that has the wire cable and peep hole that you view your setting at.. ::)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread