✅ SOLVED Test your skills on this one! Spent years trying to ID this.

musclecar

Oct 15, 2006
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
White MXT
I found this in Alaska about 10 years ago, and have never been able to ID it. It is an aluminum piece, about 3 inches square. It has 15 teeth and is numbered 1-15. There is a stop preventing it from spinning freely. The back has two tabs that may have been used to mount it. ANY GUESSES?

Thanks,

MC

PS The quarter used for size was found yesterday! 1935S Yeah!

Attachments

• dial1.jpg
    dial1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 40,798
  • dial2.jpg
    dial2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 38,903
  • dial3.jpg
    dial3.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 38,914

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the counter wheel off an old box camera.
Used to let you know when you got to 15 exposures.

Upvote 0

IronJenny

Mar 28, 2007
I'm new to this site but can't seem to give up on this item. To me it looks like it's a counting mechanism from a factory - like it may count out 15 cigarettes; then drop them into a box. Or crayons. Something little and pencil-shaped. Pencils?
Then it starts recounting again.

Upvote 0

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Well I will throw my guess into the mix too...I have never seen anything exactly like this but it reminds me of the little dial on a rain guage to keep track of rainfall amounts between rains. If you dump out 1 inch of rain you move the dial 1 notch, 2 inches of rain=2 notches. it would keep a running total of rainfall. Just a guess tho...

Upvote 0

Candyman

Mar 9, 2007
Great Britain
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Hello Musclecar.

Interesting section and have just seen your picture. Im pretty sure there would be 2 of these(one either side). My Mech Eng experience leads me to that at the very least.

Im pretty sure this is mechanical counter that is used to detect, totalize and indicate a sequence of events. It does not use any electrical power source. There are four basic types of counter revolution counters, rotary counters, stroke counters, and pushbutton or manual counters. Revolution, (count each revolution of a shaft) Rotary, (record a specified number of counts per rotation) Stroke, (record one count for each stroke). Pushbutton, ( used for manual counting by the operator and records one count for each actuation. Most pushbutton counters or manual counters are handheld devices.

Mechanical counters can be reset with a manual knob or lock and key (should be a small opening to fit the key or "stop device". The number of digits will be in the display. This determines the counting range. These type of mechanical counters may be able to perform both counting and timing functions. Some of these are equipped with double shafts can have left and right extensions for separate left and right. Specialized mechanical counters may use a dial indicator in place of rotating digits on a wheel.

Mech Counters are used in copy machines, printing presses, cut-off machines, and part-counting applications and can be used with material handling equipment, rapid transit vehicles, street sweepers, farm machinery, carts for recreational use, and construction equipment.They are also used in gaming machines, vending machines, and depth-flow meters.

Well, what does this mean? The answer is I cant tell you exactly what application this couter was housed in and for but I am certain that given its size its definately not used in a vending machine as it is a visual counter. I hope this may jog maybe a farmers memory. A clue would be in where it was found and the history determing the site from whence this was found.

Good Luck! Great Post

Upvote 0

deedeelou

Mar 10, 2007
It looks to me like it could be a volume knob.

Probably not from an amp, though, since it goes to 15. Nigel Tufnel's tuning knobs go as high as 11, but he had them custom made.

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I am tired of reading all these guesses. Here is the answer. It's quite simple. Its part of a SUB-ORBIT TRANSFORMATION ALIGNMENT OPTIMISER INDICATER. And thats my final anwser. Thats the reason my saucer is wobbling.
DG

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D >:(

Attachments

• ufo130130CLR[1].gif
    ufo130130CLR[1].gif
    26.3 KB · Views: 2,492
  • ufo130130CLR[1].gif
    ufo130130CLR[1].gif
    26.3 KB · Views: 2,499
Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dg39 said:
OK, I am tired of reading all these guesses. Here is the answer. It's quite simple. Its part of a SUB-ORBIT TRANSFORMATION ALIGNMENT OPTIMISER INDICATER. And thats my final anwser. Thats the reason my saucer is wobbling.
DG

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D >:(
GLAD TO SEE U STILL GOT IT!

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
This one is going to keep me up tonight... it is SO darned familiar! I feel I've seen this before... somewhere... it has to be something simple.

Does this stupid picture I made jog anyone's memory???
BIRTH CONTROL PILL CONTAINER...DAY 4

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Michelle said:
Montana Jim said:
This one is going to keep me up tonight... it is SO darned familiar! I feel I've seen this before... somewhere... it has to be something simple.

Michelle... Good one! :D :D But whats deal with only 15 days? :-\ Too funny.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
by god I think I have it---seriously ---I seem to remember the object before but could not "place it" I do honestly believe its a tracker trailer refrigeration unit timer every 15 hours it kicks over to dethaw mode tp prevent icing up--I seen to remember seeing them aboard ship on the units we carried overseas--let me check online and see if I win the prize -there has to be a prize right? don't tell me it the dang thing ain't it? Ivan

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
dang no one can seem to find one or what it is --know I seen that beast before but where and when--- this many folks thinking this long and hard on a subject and not ccoming up with a "provible" to others answer is rare.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
Michelle said:
Montana Jim said:

Michelle... Good one! :D :D But whats deal with only 15 days? :-\ Too funny.
LOL....No idea...but it sounded good!

Upvote 0

Steve in Michigan

Apr 9, 2005
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Freedon Ace
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but to me it looks like one of those code decipher toys. I don't think all of its there, but what you would do is point to the alpha or numeric character that was listed that was written down and then look in the little open square box and find out what the real alpha or numeric character was. Just a guess.

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

Upvote 0

Steve in Michigan

Apr 9, 2005
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Freedon Ace
Oh, by the way, I forgot to say that I believe there is another spoked wheel that goes along with this or maybe two that move when the numbers are moved.

Steve in Michigan

Upvote 0

ryanc11

Jun 1, 2006
I have followed this thread for a long time, and I hate to admit it it is haunting me... I have seen this thing before !! But, alas, I cant place it !! But I have also been to Alaska several times (where the poster origianlly found the item), and for some reason I feel like thats where my inner psyche is trying to place it. I can almost see it sliding or hanging on a wire or small steel rod, attach to the rod with the clips on the back. The clips look like they havent been opened so the rod slipped out. This thing hung from or slid back and forth on the steel rod. AHHHHH !! I can see it , but I cant place it... It has something to do specifically with typical industry or items found in Alaska... Fishing, Stove furnace, logging, canning, maybe I have seen it on a fishing boat... I know I have nothing concrete to add but maybe just jogging someone elses memory maybe be my only contribution.... Oh aluminium dial thing with numbers, WHY do you torment me !!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread