✅ SOLVED Test your skills on this one! Spent years trying to ID this.

musclecar

Oct 15, 2006
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
White MXT
I found this in Alaska about 10 years ago, and have never been able to ID it. It is an aluminum piece, about 3 inches square. It has 15 teeth and is numbered 1-15. There is a stop preventing it from spinning freely. The back has two tabs that may have been used to mount it. ANY GUESSES?

Thanks,

MC

PS The quarter used for size was found yesterday! 1935S Yeah!

Attachments

• dial1.jpg
    dial1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 40,798
  • dial2.jpg
    dial2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 38,903
  • dial3.jpg
    dial3.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 38,914

Seaweednh

Feb 3, 2007
Newbury, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excallibur II, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For all it is worth. I would guess this is the drop index for a fertilizer spreader. The higher the number the more lime/grass seed is dropped per square foot.

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Montana Jim said:
ivan salis claimed to know... I asked for some kid of independent verification but he has not returned?  Maybe he was kidding and I feel for it hook, line, sinker.  :-\

I am quoting myself, which I guess I probebly do often!  Anyway...

ivan salis PM'd me with his guess, and his explaination... which is basically stated above in his post... I find it interesting and intriquing but do not give too much credit as a fact based quess.  :(

Happy days all! 

Seaweednh... Welcome to treasurenet! Yes, I think we had that suggestion a while back... it might be a spreader adjustment.

Upvote 0

kybowhunter

Feb 22, 2006
Detector(s) used
F75 / M6 / Cortes
Ok - here's my guess since no one has positively identified it..

it's from an alien spacecraft - as they abducted humans this gadget was attached to the turnstile as a counter ...

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A crossbow mechanism? (for holding back the string before you fire/shoot)

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It stops when it gets to 15 (tab interferes with the pointer) so what do we count in 15's?

15 ounces before the next one makes 1 lb?

But there appears to be no stop that would "click" it, so my guess is something passes between the tips of the gear to move it, like a single tooth on a round wheel that advances it every revolution. But it's not very rugged so the stop would only be capable of halting something very light.

Another question is did it count up or down? Set it for dispensing a powder?

Upvote 0

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
I saw this in Barry'd Treasures web page. It is a Middle TN relic case. In the upper left hand corner is a piece similar to your only older. They said it was a internal clock part.

Attachments

• tncase11.jpg
    tncase11.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 2,872
Upvote 0

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thing is not a hand made one of a kind item, somewhere there is or was a plant tooled up to stamp these out by the thousands. It looks like a lot of things but I will bet the farm it is a simple counter, no way it is a sprocket or any other mechanical part it is stamped sheet aluminum! and if a machine engaged the notch repeatidly the stop would show conciderable wear, plus how is it gonna reset? It cant be part of a bike look how it was mounted,tabs. There are no mechanical connection points. Logically it has to be a manual counter. It is the only theory that can't be shot down. Without a photo that is as good as it will ever get until someone who has used one reads this post and puts it out of its misery.

Upvote 0

Hillbilly bread

Feb 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT , Coin Master & my nose<><
I have seen somthing like this on a crop duster. Each # was more or less of dust.Hillbilly Bread<><

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
think ? --co co clock counter balance piece it has a stop good for 15 days

just thinking

Upvote 0

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho
Underbear said:
I can't believe this thread has been going on this long, you guy's need to get out more often anyone for a game of pool or snooker ! ;D

Hey You Got It! And you were not even trying.

15 Balls in Billiards. Rotation game counter. 1-15

Tony

Upvote 0

Light Foot

Greenie
Nov 14, 2006
Utah
My first thought was a sprocket for a grandfather clock. For the chains that operate the balance weights.
However I think that they go or turn more than 360 degrees.
So my next thought is that it is a calibration tool that is chain driven and I think that it would place the chain in a vertical position. So what ever the other end or sprocket was attached to would move in less than 360 deg. It would not be a direct mechanism to the actual work being done but rather a type of counter for informing the operator of a type of measurement.
Someone mentioned seeing something like this on a boiler. Sounds exactly like what it is to me.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread