Tested out my new detector (updated)

Stormin Norman

Jun 2, 2007
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
Explanation provided on the 14th post

...I'm an idiot...I really only found...

182 pennies

25 dimes

6 quarters

5 nickels

I believe the 1947 dime was from a previous hunt.

thats in 4 hours, searching 20-30 sites

The only reason I had alot more then i really found was i forgot to subtract out the coins already in the pringles container...I appologize.

so the 325 is really my yearly total, not all from one hunt

Upvote 0

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Re: Tested out my new detector

Stormin Norman!
I absolutely, positively hate you!

Here you go, buying a $50 used detector and on your very first hunt (3 hours my azz) you find 325 coins which, incidently included a silver dime and only digging 10 pulltabs? Go back and read my first sentence again!

Great job! Welcome to the the party! :)
GRB

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

What? Only paper allowed at those campsites? Way to go, a super job for 4 hours!

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
At that rate you

will have your detector paid off and then some by the end of the year, put that money away and buy another detector or accessories and have no money out of your paycheck spent. Your going to dig alot of pennies but they do add up! Congrats on a great 3/4 hour hunt!! Congrats on a great deal for that detector as well, great buy!!

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

Perhaps the first 300 coin day especially in 4 hrs Probaly a record What was the cash count?

R

RUDY2003

Thats real impressive stnorman!
Thats a lot of diggin'.
Keep it up.....

Keep safe...

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

I hate to be the one who throws a question at you like this but i do have a few....I was alerted to this post by a fellow hunter one that is sharp and very good! A few questions...you say you dug 325 coins in less than 4 hours..... ??? You might want to go into detail a little more to make this post believable....

Ok first you said you found a record high of 5 nickels..that is not a lot at all. Even when my detector is off I usually find close to 5.

You said you dug did you actually mean to say you recovered 325 coins....how many were on the surface ??? Honestly for me someone who digs a ton of clad with a high end detector to even think about believing this post I would think a ton must have been surface finds. Could you please go into detail...

I do like your pringles can idea I use one of those tennis ball containers in my pouch makes recovery very fast.

Also where my problem is with this post you just throw it up do not mention type of recovery...to be believable were there a lot of coin spills... ???

The coin total obviously is one of the top I have heard of in that time...I know someone earlier in year claimed $35 in clad in 5 hours, believe it was over 500 coins.... My best this year is 202, it was over $15 in clad and took me 6 1/2 hours. So I think you may want to go into detail a little about your finds...Please don't come back with you dug 325 holes in 240 minutes ;)

Stormin Norman said:
got a whites prizm II from one of my friends. He never used it so he gave it to me for 50 bucks. So i figured I'd try detecting at a campground i'd been to a lot this month. There's about 200 sites. I checked maybe 20 over the course of 3 hours. found 325 coins...i'm not joking around. All was clad except a 1947 dime (only coin i had to dig deep for)

I filled an empty Pringles tube half way up with coins. I got a record high 5 nickels. only dug up about 10 pull tabs while there. 6 quarters, 37 dimes, and the rest of the 325 were pennies. I'm yet to check all dates on them but they all look like clad.

no pics sorry

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome from the uk.

Next time - pictures 8)

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

Norman, we're not out to shoot your post down or anything like that, but...........when something doesn't add up, eventually it's going to grab attention, and this post does. You mention 20 out of 200 sites that you moved around in. Considering your walking time (Say 2 minutes to move from one spot to the other), and based on your writing, you are down to 3 or less hours to recover 325 coins that you have not gone into specifics as to how they were recovered. That has you digging at a rate of a coin at least every 40 seconds, and that is impossible to do consistently, even in the space of an hour.

Could you clarify how exactly you managed 325 coins in the time you specified?

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

Sounds like the detector works great but his watch is broken. To pinpoint a coin, dig a hole, find the coin in the dirt, cover your hole, and move on and repeating the process and finding a pocketing a coin every 40 seconds for 4 solid hours is tough.

Just hard to imagine?

Daryl

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

;D ;D ;D ::)

BioProfessor said:
Sounds like the detector works great but his watch is broken. To pinpoint a coin, dig a hole, find the coin in the dirt, cover your hole, and move on and repeating the process and finding a pocketing a coin every 40 seconds for 4 solid hours is tough.

Just hard to imagine?

Daryl

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I got a record high 5 nickels. only dug up about 10 pull tabs while there. 6 quarters, 37 dimes, and the rest of the 325 were pennies.

That is paying your dues, for sure! I certainly hit more cents than other coins hereabouts, but not to that extent.

I'm happy to hit a dozen coins an hour at "my" park (though I'm grumpy if one or two of those aren't quarters). 81 coins/hr is a darned rich environment! Sounds like a virgin spot as far as MD competitors.

OP
OP
Stormin Norman

Stormin Norman

Jun 2, 2007
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II

Allow me to explain myself...Clearly, and thourouly so there are no questions....

I took the detector out for close to 4 hours...The only reason i only found 5 nickels is because i was ignoring the nickel signals...I found so many coins on the surface i did not need to use pinpoint or even dig in most cases. I found an unbelievable amout of coin spills, i'm talking like 10-20 coins in one hole all close to the surface. I'm not making this up, i will have a pic of them all later tonight. Also if it helps to know this, i was not alone, while i was swinging the detector my buddy was diggin. It was probably closer to 30 sites too...

total cash total was $7.72
277 pennies
37 dimes
6 quarters
5 nickles

If there's more questions i'll answer em

dugpenny

Apr 24, 2007

People lose lots of pennies. I'll bet you took many from one small area too. I've dug over a dozen at a time mixed with a nickel, dime, or two. The thing that's cool is you never know when that next hit will be a ring or some type of jewelry.

~Doug & Penny

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

Stormin Norman said:
got a whites prizm II from one of my friends. He never used it so he gave it to me for 50 bucks. So i figured I'd try detecting at a campground i'd been to a lot this month. There's about 200 sites. I checked maybe 20 over the course of 3 hours. found 325 coins...i'm not joking around. All was clad except a 1947 dime (only coin i had to dig deep for)

I filled an empty Pringles tube half way up with coins. I got a record high 5 nickels. only dug up about 10 pull tabs while there. 6 quarters, 37 dimes, and the rest of the 325 were pennies. I'm yet to check all dates on them but they all look like clad.

no pics sorry
This isn't to question your coin claim, but we want a more detailed description of your finds.

I would like to know how many of these coins were in a "pocket drop"????? (more than 1 coin in target dug area) and how many were on the surface, eyeballed, and you just picked them up????

Just wondering..... In 4 hours that would be over 80 coins dug per hour, even an experianced coin hunter has a hard time doing that for 3 or 4 hours. (posted this as you were posting your explanation)

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

I believe ya storming, wish they was all Quarters for you, sorry I dident add the clad myself. But a very Cool hunt.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

Stormin Norman said:
Also if it helps to know this, i was not alone, while i was swinging the detector my buddy was diggin.

Alright Norman, I don't mean to insult you, but that quoted statement questions the readers intelligence. You mean to tell me that

a) You brought along someone to just dig or that was willing to go along just to help you dig? Where'd you find him? I'd love to have him around on my hunting trips.
&
b) You left him to dig on his own unassisted while you were swinging your detector? How did he have a clue where the coin was if he did not mind sight the target he was digging or had the "picture in his mind from what the detector said? Did you at least let him X or hand him your pin-pointer? Poor guy man. At first I was picturing you directing his every stab at the earth, but that would probably take twice as long as you doing it yourself. I'm thinking at best that you left him to dig a possible spill, but that would still leave him sifting through dirt.

I'm not going to further comment on this.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Looks like you need to read his corrected statement cut total down quite a bit!

MonDak said:
Looks like one reply did'nt read your post very well and another does'nt
like getting skinned.

Good shootin Stormin

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

You should have waited 6 minutes more before you replied...see his corrected total!

TEXAN Connection said:
I believe ya storming, wish they was all Quarters for you, sorry I dident add the clad myself. But a very Cool hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread