TEXAS COIN HUNTERS PLEASE READ

d3t3ctr0n

Apr 17, 2013
Texas U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are from Texas, specifically near the Dallas / Fort Worth area and know of a good place to find potential silver coins, please pass on some of that information please. I've been Metal Detecting since April 2013 and have not found one single silver coin yet! I need some ideas or some hope that I will find something, someday. Thanks!

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I may..... your neighborhood, or older part of town, undoubtedly has homes built in the 50's, or before... start there. On a weekend morning, look for a guy your age, or, perhaps someone you can relate to in some way, and ask to hunt their yard. My best hunts, happen just like that.

I wouldn't start with "how 'bout them Cowboys!" though...after the beating my Pats put on you.:laughing7:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you hunt older permissions or just public lands?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research some ploughed land because with that machines lack of depth you need all the help you can get. The plough will bring the older finds to the top for you.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know people that do very well with that detector. Research old picnic spots. Anywhere people gathered. Ask permission at homes.

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from a trip to a friend's house that lives in Weatherford (about a half hour west of Ft. Worth). I saw many old farms/ranches there along the way to Ft. Worth. I would look at NETR Online ? Historic Aerials. You can use it to compare current places with older locations. Just play around and look for structures that are on older maps and not on newer maps. Those are always good places to start as well as the good advice others have given you on this thread...Brad

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with big wave Dave...knock and ask...you have nothing to lose just to gain!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Look for old dirt; Old patchy grass, intermingled with new grass, is often a giveaway, as is old cement, bluestone curbs, and old houses...I learned architecture just to figure what style houses are truly old as I drive around. Take notes on hunches. Ask permissions to old houses you find. Aerials I don't use, but old maps help.

I occasionally find a silver coin or two using the above. I lived in TX for 6 years.

Steve

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
When I started detecting in the 1990s in upstate NY, I used my machine for an hour every day after work and did not find a single silver coin for the first 30 days. The best advice I can give is to focus on areas that are less obvious or less accessible to other detectorists. I finally found my first silver dime (1919 merc.) on private property, and it was a whopping 1/2" deep.

I now live in Texas, and I don't use my machine much. Parks are illegal to detect in my area, and most of the older houses are in crummy neighborhoods. In the Dallas, I would try looking for defunct church groves and picnic areas outside of the city limits. Searching on historic photos of church gatherings would be a good place to start. You will likely have to gain permission to search any promising spots, as there is very little public land in Texas compared to the northeast.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
A buddy of mine seems to keep finding silvers along curb strips. That puts you in the public's eye more, so expect intermittent confrontations. People find silvers in sidewalk tear outs, etc, yet there again, there's public eyeballs and sometimes yellow tape indicating to keep off, even is it doesn't specifically say Keep Out. My natural intimidation-side stops me from those types of high public visibility opportunities.

I live in north Dallas myself. I still find a silver coin once about every 30 hours on average of swing and dig time, in spots where I seem to be the last tector to even try. Detecting is exercise to me but getting lots harder to muster the umph to go like before. Lean pickins here in DFW area, even getting so for fresh dropped clad. jm2c

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread