Texas Fossil Sites?

Jeremy K.

Aug 6, 2008
Much of the area I live in and near was once ancient seabed during the Cambrian era (extending to somewhere in the Jurassic, if I'm recalling correctly). I used to walk around a friend's property when I was younger and find all sorts of fossilized sea creatures laying on top of the ground.

However, I'm no longer in contact with these people. Moreso than that, Texas is not a friendly state to trespassers, whether they did so intentionally or not. To that effect, I was wondering if anyone knew of any sites near Austin-San Antonio where one could fossil hunt without risk of being shot in the face?

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
White's. Old, yellow but still waterproof!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I have lived in southern Texas almost all my life, my thinking is;

Just ask the land owner. If they seem doubtful offer to show them what you find, if they are still offish offer to let them have the pick of what you find.
Or
Do your searching in deep cuts in the road side, where the road goes through a hill, or where they have done severe grading to the road edge. This works really good where I'm at.
Or
Under creek crossing bridges. This is better for topaz...
Or
Just walk down some county maintained caliche roads. I find lots of stuff this way. Careful you don't end up on a private road though. If some stranger was walking down my road I'd have to sick the chicken eating horse on 'em...

H.H. Searcher

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread