Where in Texas (roughly) did you find this?
The specimen was in soft sandstone partly imbedded in the bank of the creek. I found it by noticing the fossil somewhat protruding out of the sandstone. I used a chisel and hammer to carefully break up the rock around the fossil so that I could retrieve it. The location is easily accessible by foot. Who should I contact so the specimen can be examined and possibly documented?
I am curious about this find. If a thread is or has been started on the fossil forums could someone please post a direct link to it? Thanks!As far as I know there are no deposits in or around that area that would support trilobite finds.
They are old in the extreme and that area is Cretaceous.
The LLano uplift is not far from you that area is old enough.
Take it to the fossil link below and post.
Jess B.
The Fossil Forum
Some one said this specimen may be a Devonian phacopid from Morocco. That's impossible because I have pictures of it still in the sand stone bank of brushy creek before I removed it. Should I contact the Paleontology department at UT and who would I speak with? I'm sure they get calls about some bone or rock found is someone's back yard everyday.
Clint
cds@att.net
Your pictures are nice and clear - you can probably do it by email unless they want to follow up in person. Here is a link to other Texas museums of interest - scroll down: Rockhounding Texas | Gator Girl Rocks
-- to whatever degree you could. Dang. Y'know, that reminds me of a crazy thing that happened to me a couple years back. I was down here visiting- I actually live here now), and was out by a local reservoir I like to visit. In the water I spotted a rutilated quartz crystal nearly the size of my fist. Imagine my surprise! I contacted as many folks as I could reach on line, and because it's so hard to take a decent picture of a clear crystal, I just couldn't nail it for them- everyone had big huge exploding question-marks over their heads! Finally once I got settled down here and unpacked that particular box, I was lit up again with curiosity. Brought it to a local rocks/minerals/gems shop and had the most immediate answer ever. Brazilian, no doubt about it (which is what I saw on line originally when investigating my find). The big question remains however. Why the heck did someone chuck a beautiful 100$ + rutilated quartz crystal into a reservoir
I'll never know.
) predicament!