Texas Highway Rest Areas - Is Metal Detecting Allowed?

TxCacheHunter

Sep 23, 2008
San Antonio, Texas Near Sea World
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT and Garrett 2500
I'm new to the hobby and know Texas State Parks are not allowed, but was wondering about Rest Areas along Texas highways. Obviously some are on roads with little traffic, but at rest areas along interstate highways it would be good to know if its legal. I'm going to guess its not, because state parks aren't allowed, but thought I would ask.

HH
TxCacheHunter

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
I believe all state land unless otherwize posted or on notice is ok. Better get a big sack for all those tabs and can slaw.

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
TxCacheHunter said:
I'm new to the hobby and know Texas State Parks are not allowed, but was wondering about Rest Areas along Texas highways. Obviously some are on roads with little traffic, but at rest areas along interstate highways it would be good to know if its legal. I'm going to guess its not, because state parks aren't allowed, but thought I would ask.

HH
TxCacheHunter

I'm not convinced it is simply because my nephew (Shaw) tried to hunt one at the beach and they ran him off...but then again, it may have been attached to a park also. I'm not sure. He would have the details on that one.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I would research it a bit more before I went out and got busted.
In many States the rest areas are cleaned and maintained by the State parks department.

This may mean a serious NO.
Be smart and check.

OP
OP
TxCacheHunter

TxCacheHunter

Sep 23, 2008
San Antonio, Texas Near Sea World
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT and Garrett 2500
I'm hoping someone will jump in here that has asked and received an answer or knows who to call. I would guess that its not allowed, but would like to know for sure or where to look or call to find out.

Thanks!
Larry
TxCacheHunter

Old Fart in TN

Nov 27, 2005
Athens Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I've hunted somewhere around 30 road side parks in the North/East/West Texas area following the Celina Girls Basketball team and the football team to their games. A few coins but alot of pull tabs really spent more time visiting with people than hunting. Never got jacked up, did have a few Highway patrolmen stop to see how things were going. The only time I had a problem it was the park that is closed south of Austin close to Kyle. Got in from the feeder road. Highway maintenance thought it best I not be there. I think I posted a few yrs ago about hunting the fireworks stands, has anyone hunted them? I know the big one I hunted several times at 289/380 wasn't there this last July 4th.
wanted to add after rereading a post by Don about it belonging to TX you can't hunt it, I have never had a problem hunting anywhere in TX when I lived there. Normal rules apply to state parks etc. I have hunted SWTS/UNT and never had a problem. Usually found some good change and jewelry at most every school I hunted except for a few schools in west Plano.

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
There was just one up the road near a family rented beach home we were at and I could not resist. Some old maintenance guy ran me off and told me they did not want me digging holes. As I looked around at the 40 bags of garbage and flies swarming the area I told him I was the least of his worries. He did not like that answer I guess, I just left.

I am sure that if its owned by the state its probably off limits, I had someone tell me that they had also searched many many rest areas and even had the police watch him and ask him what he found.

Bassfish

Jul 12, 2006
sqwaby said:
I believe all state land unless otherwize posted or on notice is ok. Better get a big sack for all those tabs and can slaw.

and foil wrappers from Coney Island Whitefish. ;D

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
txkickergirl said:
I have hunted a few but the tabs and cans were not worth it.

That is right on the money, More trash and foil than anywhere I have ever seen!

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I have a Friend who is a county Cop, get run off By state cops for hunting in a roadside park. Its agienst the law.
Besides that all Ive ever found in them is can slaw, ;D very trashy.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
If I interpet page 13 correctly, no one can detect anywhere in the state of texas except private property.Also written in another section, if you find a historicly significant item on private land, you must turn the item over to the state, and they have authority to keep it or give it back. I think I'll just keep on keepin on.

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
sqwaby said:
If I interpet page 13 correctly, no one can detect anywhere in the state of texas except private property.Also written in another section, if you find a historicly significant item on private land, you must turn the item over to the state, and they have authority to keep it or give it back. I think I'll just keep on keepin on.

Life is a garden, Dig It!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I can understand your frustration in resorting to rest stops in finding places to detect. When I got my first detector in the late 60's gas was cheap, access was
unlimited and daily finds of silver coins and gold rings was normal. I am Texas
born and raised and Dallas was the hub of Garrett and D-Tex production. Young
people now would laugh at the machines we used but they would go Wow! at the
booty we recovered. There were no restrictive laws or ordinances to slow you down
back then. Vacant lots were fair game, easements too. People seeing us thought we were loco digging litlle holes in the ground and then hollering at finding a penny.
The pennies could be indian portraits. All else were wheaties. No clads. Dimes
were silver. Pulltabs, yeah we dug a lot but didn't mind since if we got those out of
the way the silver started popping up. Indian head nickles and wartime nickles were
plentiful. I just wonder if we are nearing the end of a wonderful adventure. lastleg

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
............AGAIN I say i think it depends on who owns the rest area!! In some of the smaller counties the rest areas are owned and maintained by that county! And if that is the case, Metal detecting is OK!! To be sure, just ask the Sherriff's office for that county!......now I think the problem is those rest areas that are maintained by a division of the state!!............Joe

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howz bout calling the Highway Dept? There should be a phone number somewhere on one of the buildings or signs. I'm sure if it's not their turf, they can point you to whose jurisdiction it is.

flatskunk64

Jan 1, 2009
Being centrally involved in highway parks now for 10 years plus , i have NEVER heard a disparaging word about metal detecting .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread