TH in NY - just starting out :)

E

Elandil

Hey guys,

New blood here. I've been folowwing this site for a while and I'm very interested in this hobby.

I live in NY- Long Island. I'm mainly interested in TH in this area.
I read that there was a lot of Pirate activity in 1600s and 1700s in this area and I'm going to be doing research with that in mind.

If anyone has any tips or info, let me know.

Also I'll be piciking up a good metal detector in a couple of weeks, still looking into it.

Thanks

/wave

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
long Island history

Read and reread, than get old maps of the areas and use terraserver to look at the areas of today. it sometimes takes time to get the hang of doing the research part.

... long ago, and there was plenty of pirate gold about, even though no East Hampton man ever was a real pirate. Captain Kidd buried treasure on Gardiner's Island ...
www.longislandgenealogy.com/pirates.html

This site is good for old maps. But i have found that by going to maps of north america, or civil war maps, they come with the date the map was made and you can zoom in to the location you need. I get a lot of info on an area. Roads, rivers and creeks and towns. on the first page, page down and on the left you will see (search by key word) this is alot easer to use. they have a great zoom feature. Type in say, the state, county or city. Also look on the net for (early county maps long island NY.) are try war maps of NY. Check the library gengealogical department, a lot of times they have old city and county maps. County court-houses should have old land and plot maps. Let me know if you need more info. boomer

Map Collections Home Page
... The Geography and Map Division of the Library of Congress holds more than 4.5 million items, ... is part of more than one core collection, searching Map Collections at this ...
memory.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/gmdhome.html

Attachments

• IMAG0026.jpg
    IMAG0026.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMAG0025.jpg
    IMAG0025.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG0166.jpg
    IMAG0166.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
E

Elandil

Thank you for ideas boomer.

Will definitely look those sites up.

Attachments

• w.o.jpg
    w.o.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 20
  • heart.jpg
    heart.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 18
  • K.G.C.2up.jpg
    K.G.C.2up.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 23

LuckyDragon

Apr 6, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Replying back

Don't forget your detector ok if you need to to buy one check the for the dealers ok Best dectors are

White's
Tesoro
Minlab
Fisher
Garrets
Find the 1 that fits your buget, but don't get a RadioShack spiecal
those things are just toys
Have fun in huntings and go ask for a book in where to find treasure
at your local dealer it's by White's electronics OK :wink:

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many stories about Captain Kidd treasures in Connecticut. Most are untrue. I live in Bridgeport Connecticut.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread