Thanks everyone!

Darrenjay

Oct 10, 2012
South Africa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just want to say thanks to everyone on this forum. By reading all your posts and taking note of your advice, i finally went panning at a river an hour away from me. I had done my research and knew it was one of the first places gold was found in South Africa. First pan in and i found color : D. Found a few more flakes and plenty flour gold. Was truly an awesome experience and cant wait to have more to share with you all. Thanks

Upvote 0

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome, show us a few pics some time please. :)

Do you think you might try your hand at underwater sniping?
Do you have exposed bedrock in and out of the water there?

OP
OP
Darrenjay

Darrenjay

Oct 10, 2012
South Africa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Will post soon! I have thought about it, there is exposed bedrock and a few good potential spots, just not sure what equipment to use?

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a lot of equipment for underwater sniping but my favorite tools that I use when going light are.

1.) Quality Mask and Snorkel
2.) Snuffer bottle with some lead or heavy creek stones in the bottle so it doesnt float away. (I make my own now)
3.) Tweezers
4.) Rock pick or Brick Hammer, I use an Estwing Brick Hammer because I can rake a little with it.
5.) Hand held Prybar
6.) Crevicing Pick
7.) Underwater spotlight (I use the Stanley FatMax LED light)
8.) Cheap flexy gloves, rubber coated on the palm side.

I combine #5 and #6 with a 12" Long 1/4" squared prybar with an angled flathead on it.

If the water is cold then a wetsuit with extra padding on the knee's would be good to use, otherwise swim trunks with pockets.

:)

OP
OP
Darrenjay

Darrenjay

Oct 10, 2012
South Africa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks so much :) love the snuffer bottle idea! I have most of that stuff so will actually try it this week, will let you know, thanks again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread