Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard the same thing... And many other negative stories from sub-c's. I personally have had a negative experience with regards to this but will not discuss it in any detail in an open forum for obvious reasons.

I don't think the 1715 Fleet operations under current circumstances will last... It would not surprise me if the state takes over in the near future but that's just my feeling... Could be wrong.

Greed and deception always ends in a bad way.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brisbens burning bridges is not good for them.They wont find the Queen's Jewel's on any of their leases.

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Hey you two,
Talk to me in private when we get together...I'd be interested in what you have to say that you don't want to discuss on an open forum.
John

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked into subbing...the Brisben's made me feel like I was applying for a job. Too bad Taffi is gone...

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 'state' won't get control unless there is some sort of internal moper dopery that could trigger a default on the conditions set out by the Feds when the leases were surrendered to Mel way back when. The leases have become a 'property' of sorts that may, or may not, have a given value, depending upon how they are managed. At the moment, it would seem that they are worth somewhat less than what was paid for them. But, eventually they could be sold to other management groups.

These circumstances have arisen before. Read Syd Jones' book "Atocha Treasure Adventures: Sweat of the Sun, Tears of the Moon" regarding the Jamestown debacle.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
One of the things that made Mel special was that he wasn't greedy and he wanted others to share his dream of finding sunken treasure. He knew he had more wreck sites than he could ever work in his lifetime and he was smart enough to realize the more subcontractors he had out digging, the more treasure he would get as well. Tom

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
Ok, Wait a minute... The Brisbens have done a fantastic job with the 1715 fleet and they welcome Sub Contractors. I dont know where you get that they are "Greedy" or that they want to "alienating almost all their contractors to find the jewels for themselves"... Where did that come from?

They have told a few Sub Contractors that they are not welcome to hunt the sites but that is because the Sub-C's were known to not log correct GPS readings on finds, Theft, Lying and not following the contract guidlines. If you are one that does this then yes, you cannot work the 1715 Fleet but if you are Honest, dont steel, and conduct good Archaeology then the Brisben will welcome you to Hunt the sites.

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Three point "good" shot... Goho... I have personally meet Bill and he is a genuine street guy who has made good. When one takes the "front of the line" you have to expect to get some eggs thrown at you... you just can not make everyone happy.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I never called anyone greedy. I was just pointing out what Mel/Taffi et al did to make their years overseeing the salvage of the 1715 fleet so successful.

Last edited:

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, Wait a minute... The Brisbens have done a fantastic job with the 1715 fleet and they welcome Sub Contractors. I dont know where you get that they are "Greedy" or that they want to "alienating almost all their contractors to find the jewels for themselves"... Where did that come from?

They have told a few Sub Contractors that they are not welcome to hunt the sites but that is because the Sub-C's were known to not log correct GPS readings on finds, Theft, Lying and not following the contract guidlines. If you are one that does this then yes, you cannot work the 1715 Fleet but if you are Honest, dont steel, and conduct good Archaeology then the Brisben will welcome you to Hunt the sites.

I'm sure that everyone here is glad that you are being treated well. Meanwhile we must assume that the few of us who have been ejected, including myself, are lying thieves, or possibly simply inept in the use of GPS. Can you elaborate on who exactly the lying thieves are? Police reports, newspaper articles... anything like that you can point to?

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently it doesn't really matter who calls any of us "rejected or ejected ones" pirates, liars, or GPS challenged for that matter... If the person that calls you a pirate is in the right circles, you are done and not even given a chance to show otherwise... No proof required.

I was unjustly labeled a pirate several years back by some jealous individuals who were upset because I wouldn't freely share some information I had about their site and as a result, their lies spread around and caused me much trouble and disappointment... As it turned out, I came to realize that these individuals are some of the biggest liars and pirates around AND the sad part was that I never stole or pirated anything from anyone EVER... In fact I was a decorated Police Officer in the past and have always done things the right way... and when it came to my treasure hunting endeavors, it was the same. I have found that those that point the finger are usually the guilty ones!

When I first met Brent, he invited me to come in and sign up for a sub-c... But someone clearly told him something that changed his mind because the next time I spoke to him, he wouldn't give me the time of day and I never found out why!

I tried talking to Brent and even wrote him a lengthy letter to tell him about myself and who I was and where I stood, and he never even had the decency to return any of my calls, emails, or letters let alone give me a chance to show him that I am an honest, hard working, and knowledgeable individual who could be trusted! So sad that some people just aren't mature enough or wise enough to form their own opinions and they just accept what other people say no matter how misguided or deceptive those people may be! What would it have cost Brisben to give me a chance and find out that I could be trusted after all... Nothing! But he never gave me a shot... Sour grapes? You bet because this treatment was undeserved.

But life goes on and I now have my own projects to work on and am beginning to meet with success so I must be doing something right... All the best to those of you who do things the right way and for those that don't, it comes back around eventually to bite you in the rear! Peace...

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody please produce a comedy film about this business of treasure hunting...
There are so many stories out there to work with ... all of the deception, backstabbing, and pranksterism... There has got to be someone who can pull some good material together... I think we all need a good laugh these days... Just saying...

Last edited:

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I sure hope we get some good Nor'easters this winter... There's nothing like some good beach finds to lift the spirits...

Last edited:

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and GOHO... I think you're a great th'er and I am happy for your success. I don't know you personally but you seem to be a decent guy but obviously I can't say that I agree with your comments in defense of the way Brent is handling things... He's clearly stepping on a lot of toes from what it sounds like and doesn't even care enough to communicate with people as to why!

I spoke with a diver the other day who worked with one of the sub-c's last year... They found some great stuff, logged it properly, turned it all in and provided the correct GPS coordinates. The next day out, who should they find working in their spot? Brent's boat... Is that what happens when you turn in the real coordinates? I don't think that will promote honesty among the subcontractors... I'm just saying...

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Phips:

"In fact I was a decorated Police Officer in the past"
Me too.

"The next day out, who should they find working in their spot? Brent's boat..."
Imagine that.

Even the village idiot could put this MO together. So you and I pass the QP with flying colors. Nothing else left but convenient hearsay.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you go seek , you find a hot spot and turn in the "cords" --then bingo they take over "your" reported spot , so much for your season "contract" for that area --bet it is 100% "legal" under the contract "fine print" too.--if that is what they are doing that just not right -- if however they are innocent of doing that --you are opening up yourself for a "liable" suit for saying so , since no sub contractor in their right minds would sign up with them under those terms.

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Three point "good" shot... Goho... I have personally meet Bill and he is a genuine street guy who has made good. When one takes the "front of the line" you have to expect to get some eggs thrown at you... you just can not make everyone happy.

I never have met Brent. So I can not speak for how he is treating sub contractors.

Another observation you all can take or leave is treasure hunting / undersea exploration along with not being classical archaeology is not a business... It is a "passion"! Very seldom do individuals involved with the process continue to act in a "business-like manner. New people on the block, wish to make their own mark, friends sometimes end up turning against each other.... Gold and silver does strange things to some people... me included. I had to learn to stop being paranoid or taking the actions of others so personally a long time ago - otherwise I would have long since gone totally crazy, instead of just off the "deep end"...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
watching "the treasure of the serria madre" should be required for anyone looking for treasure of any type.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread