Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A sub-freezing hunt today...

Today was a record cold hunt for me....the coldest I've been out in for detecting...20-23 degrees between 12:15 and 4:15 today in Baltimore. Very happy with the results. The 1864 IHP is an "L" variety. Don't think I will ever find a hammer and pewter pig again on the same day. Shield (no rays) and V-nickel (1906). 2 nicks, 2 wheats, and 2 Indians to go along with two clad quarters and two clad dimes...oh yes...there were two charms.

Finds.jpg L_mark.jpg

Upvote 22

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice haul

Pittsburgh was cold to. I charged up the deus. Ground was diggable. I just didn't feel like battling the elements

Your post makes me wish I had lol

HH Jer

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice what did you use for digging here in Michigan the ground is literally cement Ive broken many digging tools Great finds seems well worth the going out Good Job!!!!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Jer, I started out working the base of a hill on the southeast side; ground was easy to punch through. Any open grassy areas with southern exposure were the same...had the whole place to myself. Hands were fine.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the arboretum here in Michigan and found my first silver dollar and standing liberty two weeks ago the tall grass seems to insulate the ground from freezing a little this weekend wind chill below zero to cold Good finds. Winter cant be much Longer one groundhog saw his shadow the other didn't.!!!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Tommy. The steel digging tool I use I purchased from a local supplier. I noticed that I started to torque the shovel a little at the one really frozen plug I tried to dig. Will go back for that one next weekend. Otherwise, no problem since we have not had an extended cold snap this winter. Think we're headed for an early spring.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are the MAN-----------------------I admire your intestinal fortitude--------------or is it addiction?:laughing7:
Marvin

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny I also have three or four spots I have to go back to I was worried if I chissled it out I would hit the target I was digging and destroy it I love this site Im not the only one going out in the winter Good stuff!!!!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet! I can't imagine finding a silver dollar....Congrats.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Marvin. I'm getting out about once-a-week and today was a lot better than the last time out. I think addicted is the operative word.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BRRRR, 2 degrees when I woke up, congrats on getting out and pulling those keepers. That Indian cleaned up nicely.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Kelvin. Here's a somewhat enlarged image of the item in the center of the finds pic. It looks like the front half of a two-piece button. unknown.jpg

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks L-D. A few of my recent indians have been pretty corroded, but that 1864 is a "gem".

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your hunt takes me back to the days when I could brave such weather,but now I just have to wait for better conditions since I got older and wiser.Your Indian head penny looks to be really nice ,and with an L to boot.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some excellent saves!

I know what you mean about picking and choosing your ground. I've been out in it too. Trouble is, even though I know if I dress right, the cold doesn't bother me. I just ain't up to the battle anymore. I've resigned myself to waiting for a bit warmer. I don't like "fighting" on my "walks". ;)

Very nice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread