What's new

The Anonymous Female Archaeologist 'Bites her Tongue

I thank you all for your comments.
 
TN mountains , I found this text from those archies, to be quite condescending & patronizing. As if .... we are SO fortunate to "be allowed" to work with them. And so privileged to be allowed to learn their "correct" ways, etc....

If the statements were said in converse order (that we'd "allow" them to tag along with us, and see how md'rs work), they would BRISTLE at the concept !

And those type digs that link refers to would NOT be what most md'rs are thinking it is. It is not being able to go out and detect on historic sacred sites (woohoo!). It would be quite boring to most of us. If it's anything like the archie digs I've been on, you: flag each signal with a little wire flag, and they come back later with tweezers and paintbrush to dig it up :sleepy2:

Tom that is why I highlighted in red and made my comment afterwards. I did not like the terminology either. I did not go out and google this info as I was aware of it some time ago and thought it would pertain to Johns post.
I follow what Archies are doing in the South East and gather information from them just as they do when they come here and study our finds. This site is a great reference for them as us. I could write many stories and encounters with them. In the end for me it has been for the most part favorable though.Yet I have seen things gone terribly awry on digs due to money and politics which I cant not discuss here. Jeff and Treasurehunter would ban me:laughing7: if I did!
 
I have seen things gone terribly awry on digs due to money and politics which I cant not discuss here. Jeff and Treasurehunter would ban me:laughing7: if I did!

LOL...




_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016
 
Could you just imagine her response after viewing all that's gone on over on Oak Island. She'd have gone ballistic, and had a meltdown, had she seen them over there with bulldozers and other heavy equipment, ravaging a historical site. If it is.
 
Where Archeologist loose out in the USA is that most land is owned by the people. We get permission when they do not. My house is on a Civil War battlefield so is my neighbor and everyone around me. I am friends with all of them so this battle was mine to explore. Never an Archeologist inquired about any of it.

the way I see it.
it comes down to Archeologists want to be paid to Hire Volunteers (slaves) to dig sites.
So they can hover over, Take the Finds, and write in their little papers in the hopes
of a pay raise in the end.

We Worry them, we threaten their way of filling their bank accounts.
Because the people who do Finance them may wake up one day
and come to us :laughing7:

Detectorists Dig for Love of History, Exercise & adventure.

some small time Treasure Hunters (like me) Dig for Love of History, adventure, & Hopefully the Big score one day. but don't beg for financiers like Fisher & other big Time Treasure Hunters did/do, or have to.

I know to me, finding history is not a Business I expect the Gov to foot the bill for.
 
Last edited:
I was able to work with Japanese Archaeologist back in the 80's and the leader was more and happy to have me at the site. After they had done their dig work down so deep, I would come along and go over it and mark any hits I got with a chopstick. I was able to add to their digs with more finds and information.

I showed one Archaeologist one time part of a sword that I had found and he wasn't upset at all and took a outline drawing and a picture and went on his way. He could of took it if had wanted too.
 
Theres always someone moaning and trying to stop someone having fun with a harmless hobby, well moan away no one will every stop me detecting long live the beep
 
Well said Jeff. Thats the difference between them and us, we're doing for the love of it and on our own dime. They're doing it for fame and fortune on someone else's money.
 
Every 'archie' I've met was a hypocrite. All 7 were tenured professors and all have their own personal museum of 'samples' removed from dig sites they've been involved in. Some even where swapped or gifted with other archies. A common practice then. I'm talking 60' thru 80's. I know not of the new regime but given that they learned their profession from the same band of thieves I've encountered, I doubt much has changed. As you may gather by my post I have little respect for the profession as a whole. There are always exception, at least I hope there are.

It's all about the finds, for everyone ... :laughing7: We all have our angle and share the same turf - at least a lot of recoveries will survive; no archaeologist would have found most of them.
 
I know of only one archaeologist in Connecticut, and he works for the state. I tell him nothing about my leads and research. Let him find his own treasures.
 
Archies working with detectorists?? Let me 'splain to you all what this really means. They pretend to like you and encourage you to locate potential unknown historical sites for them. They then declare your find as such (historically significant, whether it is or isn't) then kick you the hell out. They may or may not actually examine the site for historical relevance in your lifetime, subject to funding. In the meantime no one can set foot in that location without approval. That's the way they have always done their business. Don't expect it to change.
 
Could you just imagine her response after viewing all that's gone on over on Oak Island. She'd have gone ballistic, and had a meltdown, had she seen them over there with bulldozers and other heavy equipment, ravaging a historical site. If it is.

True but Oak Island is a case that could've used better diligence over the years. Bore-hole locations have been lost, artifacts have been lost... Seems like each new treasure-hunting generation thinks they're going to be the one to find the treasure so don't bother recording information or properly taking care of finds. So then the following hunters have no idea what's been done before; where anything is; and no finds to bring more advanced ID methods to bear. Not that archies are necessary for any of that of course.
 
Where I live, the damage that clear-cut foresting for decades creates have destroyed more than a couple artifacts. I would rather retrieve them from the plow's blade and secure their lasting heritage than watch the sites be continually destroyed. Most archeologists won't even make an appearance to a small Archaic or Woodland site. They only want Paleo or Weeden Island sites so their names are attached to it...somewhat elitist.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom