What's new

The AT PRO Did not Find This Handful of Silver.

BuckleBoy

Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
18,159
Reaction score
9,723
Golden Thread
4
Location
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Went out scouting today and stumbled on a newer site. Here's the video:



Started digging nickels fairly frequently in a concentrated area like a pocket spill scattered by the plow. Pretty soon I had recovered 4 wheats and 6 nickels. One of the nickels was a V, and two were silver "war nickels." Also picked up two tokens that were the same size and thickness. One turned out to be an illegible plantation token which once said "Good For." Such a shame when they are eaten up by the decades underground. Anyhow, the other mystery coin turned out to be a 1937 Costa Rican 25 Centimos coin. That's a new one for the books! Below is the dug coin, with non-dug photos below it. This is a copper nickel coin and read very low on the F75.

HPIM5263.webpHPIM5264.webp

600px-Costa_Rica_1937_25_centimos_obv_DSLR.webp600px-Costa_Rica_1937_25_centimos_rev_DSLR.webp

I stuck around for a while, having dug so many coins in close succession, angling for a Franklin Half, worn Standing Quarter, or similar. I did get a quarter, but it was a Washington:

quarter in plug.webp

HPIM5255.webpHPIM5256.webp

Here are the photos of the silver nickels, V nickel, plantation token, and a silver Catholic "Miraculous medal" that was nearby:

HPIM5260.webpHPIM5261.webpHPIM5262.webp

HPIM5257.webpHPIM5265.webp

For a while I stuck around, but then got a little frustrated at the lack of old finds. So I went to a site where we had been earlier in the year with some success. Immediately I started getting some good signals. Sun was setting, but after several failed "live digs" on the video, which of course were jinxed by being filmed, I popped out a silver dime (which I of course missed digging live!). It was an 1857 Seated, minted exactly 100 years before the Quarter was.

HPIM5258.webpHPIM5259.webp

She's beaten up, but I'll take her. Now that's what I'm after! I'll be back to that site soon to see what I can scare out of the ground with the F75. :laughing7:


Cheers,

Buck
 
Upvote 48
great finds buck!, I love how the whole atp thing keeps going!!
 
Great digs Buck. BANNER ..Oh wait waste of time...
 
Man, I love all the seated coins you've dug. I would take an older dime like that over a handful of "newer" silver quarters. I dig one seated coin to every 40 newer silver coins.

The 57' looks like an RPM. I dug a 1950 quarter this year that had an off centered mint mark.
 
Last edited:
So you found all this with the silver umax? Really doesn't matter which detector, it's pretty much the operator. Great hunt day. You're one he(( of an operator.

Congrats, GL, & HH
 
great finds buck!, I love how the whole atp thing keeps going!!

Thanks, friend! Just thought I'd be clear in the title which machine I WASN'T using. :laughing7:
 
Man, I love all the seated coins you've dug. I would take an older dime like that over a handful of "newer" silver quarters. I dig one seated coin to every 40 newer silver coins.

The 57' looks like an RPM. I dug a 1950 quarter this year that had an off centered mint mark.

I would too. I like the variety of newer stuff, and seeing what comes up, but the antebellum coins and relics are what I'm after down here. Thanks for the reply, Pointman!
 
So you found all this with the silver umax? Really doesn't matter which detector, it's pretty much the operator. Great hunt day. You're one he(( of an operator.

Congrats, GL, & HH

Thanks, Bud. From one Fisher user to another, Rock On. :headbang:
 
Wow. Nice hunt!! The plantation token is cool even in rough shape!!
 
Cool 100 year silver spread. As usual you found some great stuff!
 
Interesting variety of silver! :thumbsup:
 
The oldies can't be there all the time, but it might be just a case of the next turn of the plough that might throw the older ones up. Still at the end of the day you got a mitt full of finds and that alone is a good day out. Seeing the edge of a silver in the dirt always brings the warm feelings up, and a "Oh Ya"
 
Nice finds buck ! Been waiting for someone to open the "atp can of worms" :thumbsup:
 
Wow. Nice hunt!! The plantation token is cool even in rough shape!!

I agree. Would so prefer if it were legible so I could identify the type...
 
Cool 100 year silver spread. As usual you found some great stuff!

Thanks, friend! Note that the nickels I found--actually look dug! :D :wink:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom