What's new

The Banana Belt

rginn

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
9,220
Reaction score
13,580
Golden Thread
0
Location
Summit County, CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What we call the area around BV and Salida. Generally, their winters are like our summers, which they're on track for this year, although I have seen the area with a foot of snow on the ground, but not often. Arkansas River runs through there. Not much snow, but a lot of wind today.
1-14a.webp
1-14b.webp
1-14c.webp
1-14d.webp
1-14e.webp
 
What we call the area around BV and Salida. Generally, their winters are like our summers, which they're on track for this year, although I have seen the area with a foot of snow on the ground, but not often. Arkansas River runs through there. Not much snow, but a lot of wind today.
View attachment 2240919View attachment 2240920View attachment 2240921View attachment 2240922View attachment 2240923
Beautiful area. There just has to be good fish in those waters. 😄
 
Hopefully it's still a pretty quiet place to be this time of the year. It sure was when I lived there. I'd been out with my dog all around there searching for artifacts and not another soul was seen or heard. Just the ones you couldn't see was all that were still around as lingering spirits from many moons ago.
 
Beautiful area. There just has to be good fish in those waters. 😄
I heard a story about where the former president Grant toured the area back in the later 19th century. The town of Buena Vista put on a welcome event for this president and they served fresh trout caught from that river and not one of those trout was under 5 pounds that was served for the event that day. I've seen a fair amount of rainbow trout caught out of the Arkansas River in that very area, but none ever came close to being 5 pounds.
 
Last edited:
I heard a story about where the former president Grant toured the area back in the later 19th century. The town of Buena Vista put on a welcome event for this president and they served fresh trout caught from that river and not one of those trouts was under 5 pounds that was served for the event that day. I've seen a fair amount of rainbow trout caught out of the Arkansas River in that very area, but none ever came close to being 5 pounds.
I love trout, my favorite freshwater fish to eat hands down. Best introduced species here ever 👍
I'll be glad when the weather cools down after summer to hopefully catch some.
 
I've spent several years on my friends claim there on the Arkansas River just above Buena Vista . I really loved dredging there and the entire town was great ! I have a good friend the now has moved to Colorado east of Buena Vista (but not to far away) My wife and I were planning on moving there when I retired 15 years ago but old age got the best of both of us ! LOT'S of GREAT MEMORIES ! Most of my friends out there have passed now, R.I.P. to them and their families !
 
I've spent several years on my friends claim there on the Arkansas River just above Buena Vista . I really loved dredging there and the entire town was great ! I have a good friend the now has moved to Colorado east of Buena Vista (but not to far away) My wife and I were planning on moving there when I retired 15 years ago but old age got the best of both of us ! LOT'S of GREAT MEMORIES ! Most of my friends out there have passed now, R.I.P. to them and their families !
I know a few from around there who've also crossed over.
 
Pretty quiet this time of year TR. Just locals, and I qualify as half local camping so much in the area people in the stores and campground hosts remember me. So we all wave at each other in passing. Occasionally the random tourist who's adventurous or just got lost. Never ever go down that road to the Midland Tunnels from the north in the summer due to the rafting traffic. I made that mistake once, and now I go down to BV and come up from the south on Colorado Ave. May not do that much no more, because Turtle Rock Campground which I liked, is now reservation only. Still lots of dispersed spots in the area.
 
Pretty quiet this time of year TR. Just locals, and I qualify as half local camping so much in the area people in the stores and campground hosts remember me. So we all wave at each other in passing. Occasionally the random tourist who's adventurous or just got lost. Never ever go down that road to the Midland Tunnels from the north in the summer due to the rafting traffic. I made that mistake once, and now I go down to BV and come up from the south on Colorado Ave. May not do that much no more, because Turtle Rock Campground which I liked, is now reservation only. Still lots of dispersed spots in the area.
There was no campground at turtle rock when I was living in BV.
 
Beautiful area. Great pictures !!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom