The Book Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
springfried seems to have forgotten Al Sieber, chief of scouts under general crook...while not a trained mining engineer, nor was he literate, he did locate claims in pinto valley area...among the first to make claims in what did become one of the richest areas of mineral extraction in Arizona.
also, al sieber was amont the first to set claim to what became the billion dollar copper camp called Jerome.

there have been many people to walk the line of mineralization in Arizona, who avoided the superstitions, under the guise of NO MINERALIZATION...yet...these mountains straddle the mineralized zone that cuts Arizona in half. northwest to southeast.
{ deleted the rest of the post...what a grumpy person I am this morning.}

springfried seems to have forgotten Al Sieber, chief of scouts under general crook...while not a trained mining engineer, nor was he literate, he did locate claims in pinto valley area...among the first to make claims in what did become one of the richest areas of mineral extraction in Arizona.
also, al sieber was amont the first to set claim to what became the billion dollar copper camp called Jerome.

there have been many people to walk the line of mineralization in Arizona, who avoided the superstitions, under the guise of NO MINERALIZATION...yet...these mountains straddle the mineralized zone that cuts Arizona in half. northwest to southeast.
{ deleted the rest of the post...what a grumpy person I am this morning.}

I certainly haven't forgotten Seiber - I consider him to be one of Arizona's greatest men.

I'm also aware the Superstition Range wasn't heavily mined, and for good reason. That said, it seems to me that, despite the relative lack of surface mineralization there, 'the richest gold mine in the world' would entice quite a number of experienced prospectors and miners. After all, many of these guys would pull up stakes and head for any new diggings - Mexico, Alaska, you name it - just on a rumor. Why not the 'LDM'? Maybe the story was too thin for the pros.

http://www.ajpl.org/aj/superstition/stories/Geology of the Supers 2.pdf

Outcrops of ancient metamorphics can be found in one isolated area near the
southern boundary of the wilderness. These rocks include schist, marble and
slate. The Hewitt Canyon metamorphics are commonly intermingled with
volcanics. Most of this intermingling is the results of intrusion by igneous rocks.
Severe tectonic activity and movement of the earth’s crust was caused by the
intrusion. This area appears to be the extreme eastern limits of the Superstition
Mountain eruptive field.
Next Week, Part II

Now that's an intriguing association, eh? Likely unintended based on the tenor of your list of LDM arguments, but fresh nonetheless. Freudian slip?

I know you're an ardent believer in this LDM legend, Oro, and your beliefs may someday be vindicated. If so, I'll admit I should have had more faith. Of course, I could always jump into the wagon if a true smoking gun ever surfaces.

You are correct in that it was not intended to link king Solomon's mines with the LDM; just as an example of a long-lived lost mine legend. There are plenty of experts today that insist there never was any king Solomon nor any mines too.

I don't expect to convince you that the LDM exists, it would probably take someone finding it to settle the matter for most people.

Good luck and good hunting to you all, I hope you find the treasures that you seek - and thank you to Pippin for posting the link, interesting reading for anyone interested in the LDM.
Oroblanco

Roy. The Lost Dutchmsn Mine will always exist. It's a symbol of adventure. A dream that lives in men's minds. Lost gold has that value. Gold or what it can buy means nothing. It's just stuff. A dream of lost gold inspires the imagination. Places like the Pitt mine will be found and cleaned out. The LDM will live on in men's dreams. The stones maps will guide us down that trail of adventure in our imagination For without our dreams what are we!

Roy. The Lost Dutchmsn Mine will always exist. It's a symbol of adventure. A dream that lives in men's minds. Lost gold has that value. Gold or what it can buy means nothing. It's just stuff. A dream of lost gold inspires the imagination. Places like the Pitt mine will be found and cleaned out. The LDM will live on in men's dreams. The stones maps will guide us down that trail of adventure in our imagination For without our dreams what are we!

I know that you have little regard for my opinion but these are perhaps the most insightful thoughts that you have shared. Well done.

PWP:

I believe Al Sieber was on The Miner Expedition. Too bad more writers don't tell stories about such events that haven't been well covered, instead of re-plowing worn out ground.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

sgtfda:

It's interesting that some people have left very promising prospects and even producing mines to hunt myths. Major Horace Bell recounts that regarding California's "Lake of Gold."

On the other hand, how many producing mines were found in the Death Valley area by those seeking The Lost Breyfogle?

Works both ways.

I'm reading for the first time Phillip Bailey's classic Golden Mirages. In various manners he makes your point over and over again.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Hal I enjoy reading your posts. I have high regard for your opinion. Perhaps I got up on the wrong side of the bed one morning. Actually I'm a sweetheart in person. I apologize for any misunderstanding

Last edited:
i'd like to add...it appears to me as if many of the hunters of lost mines...
do not have the geological background necessary to identify the gold bearing ore if they camp on top of it...

just saying...

do not have the geological background necessary to identify the gold bearing ore if they camp on top of it...

just saying...

Donald,

Never thought I needed to know $#!t about rocks to find a cave full of gold bars. :3barsgold::3barsgold::3barsgold: That's what I was searching for. I do know that gold is where you find it, and it's not impossible to find a rich gold mine that has no indications that it exists.

Anyone who is searching for the LDM, does not need to recognize your run of the mill gold bearing ore. Dutchies ore will have obvious chunks of solid gold hanging on it.

It was MY pleasure to meet you this weekend.

Take care,

Joe

omg joe...I was not referring to you....lol...I was referring to some of the posts in here...how sure some people are they found this or that...yet...haven't a clue what ore bearing rock looks like....

and I believe I would like to find that cave for you...I just get first shot at an article on the topic.

omg joe...I was not referring to you....lol...I was referring to some of the posts in here...how sure some people are they found this or that...yet...haven't a clue what ore bearing rock looks like....

and I believe I would like to find that cave for you...I just get first shot at an article on the topic.

Donald,

Even so, I do pick up a rock or two in my travels:

From the Bully Bueno Mine in the Bradshaws.

Just your basic ugly rock.

Take care,

Joe

just saying...

They're looking for concealed shafts or tunnels, dispersed dumps, trails, surface disturbances, etc. They have no need or interest in geology.

Old Bookaroo wrote
[quote[Oro - you wrote that Bicknell wrote two LDM articles published in San Francisco newspapers. Would you please be so kind as to share the dates of those? I'm only aware of one.[/quote]

Sure amigo - here are the dates;

1: Nov. 17th, 1894, the Saturday Review, pp 1 column 5

2: Jan. 13th, 1895, San Francisco Chronicle, pp 12, columns 6 and 7

The articles ran in other papers as well, here is one:
Arizona weekly citizen. (Tucson, Ariz) 1880-1901, November 24, 1894, Image 3 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

I believe someone has a full transcription of both articles online, may have the link here somewhere if that would help.

Oroblanco

pippinwhitepaws:

That was certainly true of many of the old time "one-blanket, jackass prospectors." I've mentioned it several times already, but anyone who has not yet read Golden Mirages is in for a treat! It's keeping me from finishing the very interesting New Mexico Confidential (as is a well-written book on the flight of the Confederate Cabinet at the end of the Civil War and what really happened to the Treasury gold and silver and Richmond banks' specie - there are too many books on my nightstand at the moment!).

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Please use this thread to ask or answer questions related to the many books that have been written on the Lost Dutchman's Mine.

I have had sometime to think about what was written in this thread. Thank you to everyone who posted. I am going to continue with a review of TS Glovers work titled:

The Holmes Manuscript...

I have been holding back on writing this and making it public because so many of you are fond of the books author and understanding that, I must write that I do not mean to hurt him personally however, professionally, my review will hurt him and if your using his work, you will feel the hurt as well.

I am going to apologize here and now, publicly to TE. Glover, and to those of you who have put so much faith in this book. The few who will respond are welcome to vent without fear of a counter attack. Proof must stand for itself and I will expand, but I will not need to defend.

I will only review the books forward which I believe is quite simply a flawed and irresponsible work.

Last edited:
First I want to establish my legal right to use and to quote TE Glover's work and to reproduce it here on TN. Permission is granted to everyone, here on the inside cover, by the author.

"...except for the inclusion of brief quotations for review."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back