The Celt preform (Solved)

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
This is what I took to the show for I.D.
I found this in a field where I’ve found artifacts. It had plow damage on it just lines. I showed it to Jerry Dicky and 2 other experienced people at different times. All 3 said the same thing. It was being shaped but never was finished. It’s Greenstone which I usually don’t find it in raw form. To me it doesn’t show much pecking but to the 3 guys who looked at it they all said the same thing. Jerry said it was the 1st Celt preform he had ever seen.

Attachments

• IMG_3170.jpeg
    IMG_3170.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3169.jpeg
    IMG_3169.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3168.jpeg
    IMG_3168.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3167.jpeg
    IMG_3167.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3166.jpeg
    IMG_3166.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 7
Call it what you will.
I disagree.
A work of Mother Nature.
I’ve found dozens of these.
Most have skipped across the river~Ha~
Well if nothing else at least you responded to a post, ha
You need to get out and find something.

The not much work on it is the reason I haven’t posted it yet.

Last edited:
I agree with Up-North. I live in the glaciated portion of IL. The glacier brought tons of igneous rocks here from Canada. Piles of rounded hardstone cobbles that look exactly like yours lining the banks of the local river. The Indians, as well as myself, hunted the glacial rocks looking for a suitable rock to make a Celt. Finding a rock the right shape saves tons of time. Your rock is indeed the perfect shape to make a Celt. If igneous rocks are uncommon in your area it might have been traded in from another location for Celt making. For me, it shows no work by humans other than the plow strikes.

I agree with Up-North. I live in the glaciated portion of IL. The glacier brought tons of igneous rocks here from Canada. Piles of rounded hardstone cobbles that look exactly like yours lining the banks of the local river. The Indians, as well as myself, hunted the glacial rocks looking for a suitable rock to make a Celt. Finding a rock the right shape saves tons of time. Your rock is indeed the perfect shape to make a Celt. If igneous rocks are uncommon in your area it might have been traded in from another location for Celt making. For me, it shows no work by humans other than the plow strikes.
I actually agree it does have the correct shape and was probably carried in. I really don’t see any pecking on it either but the 3 saw it in hand maybe they saw something I don’t

I can see opinions are going to be different on this, personally I have no idea. On one of my sites a found 2 small egg shaped stones (both about a inch and 1/2) made of Quartz or quartzite which had no business being there. This site is loaded with chert. I didn’t see any work on the stones but I brought them home anyways; put them in the "maybe something " Tupperware container.

I can see opinions are going to be different on this, personally I have no idea. On one of my sites a found 2 small egg shaped stones (both about an inch and 1/2) made of Quartz or quartzite which had no business being there. This site is loaded with chert. I didn’t see any work on the stones but I brought them home anyways; put them in the "maybe something " Tupperware container.
That’s interesting Mike

I was actually thinking about giving it to a friend I know who makes fake celts so he can finish it. He mounts them on handles for his reproduction table at the shows.

Last edited:
I think local geology matters if I turned up a hunk of granite or obsidian on a site it’d be artifact or maybe more like a manuport but in other places it’d just be a common river stone

I don't see any peck marks in the photo, but that is not a difinatve statement as lighting and such make a difference in the photo.

if I had to judge from the photo only I would say natural.

but I know Jerry and can respect his opinion.

I don't see any peck marks in the photo, but that is not a difinatve statement as lighting and such make a difference in the photo.

if I had to judge from the photo only I would say natural.

but I know Jerry and can respect his opinion.
He’s a good guy. He didn’t use his loop or microscope just held it in hand. It does have a rough texture to the touch so I believe he just felt it without looking at it really hard. But 2 others said the same thing on it in separate not all together in a group. I really didn’t see any pecking on it either is the reason I posted it here. I thought maybe I was missing something.

So.
Who’ Jerry Dickey?
~~~♨️~~
He goes to most of the shows and tells you what you have. I believe it was a simple mistake. I don’t believe the lighting was very good. Most shows are kinda dark.
Now let’s see some of those killer pipes you make. You have a lot of skills

He goes to most of the shows and tells you what you have. I believe it was a simple mistake. I don’t believe the lighting was very good. Most shows are kinda dark.
Now let’s see some of those killer pipes you make. You have a lot of skills
“He goes to most of the shows, and tells you what you Have”.
~LOL~ Glen…♨️~

“He goes to most of the shows, and tells you what you Have”.
~LOL~ Glen…♨️~
As you once said a rock post can get more recognition than an actual artifact. So let’s move on to something more important like a nice arrowhead instead of this rock. Stick around and post some of your better finds for all of us to see.

I’d go with the in hand assessments. Pictures, especially when viewed through a veil of arrogance, don’t always tell the whole story.

Yeah wrong kinda rock also. But They are the ones you always pick up and hope. Why not leave it and just mark solved so people learn?
If you want that’s fine with me. It’s green under the brown cortex. I might see if I can grind a bit on it myself. Could be something different than greenstone.

No signs of being worked or used, and picture it appears to be a softer stone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back