Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
Re: "The" Coin Book?

The OFFICIAL RED BOOK by R.S. Yeoman

buy that red book used at most coin shops for about a buck. For tokens use the United states Tokens Catalog 1700-1900 book by russell rulau. It's in its fourth edition and you can get the earlier editions cheaper. For foriegn coins get the Standard catalog of world coins by krause. Again go with used or use the one at the library. There are four volumes and each costs about $60. 1601-1700; 1701-1800; 1801-1900, 1901 - now. When using older books keep in mind that if something was common in 1966 it is still common now. Also keep in mind that the values are bogus. You will find folks trying to sell for red book and krause prices but no one who will buy for those prices. I will buy for those prices but I use a 1964 red book, a 1966 blue canada book, a 1970 harris stamp catalog. I don't buy tokens for anywhere near catalog prices. He lists unique tokens at high values and then folks like us find and sell hundreds of them. Its no fun owning a token that cost you $50 when they are available everywhere for $2. exanimo, ss

I received my Red Book in the mail today from Amazon. I was unable to find it locally, of course I gave up probably a little too quick after finding a lot of coin shops don't keep very reliable hours. I was able to pick it up for about ten bucks, so not too bad. I've already been flipping through it and love the info and pics.

Great recommendation, thanks a bunch!

Sweet Dreams.

Better than playboy for bedtime reading.

what is the difference between the official red book on coins and the official blue book on coins?

CORY IN FLA said:
what is the difference between the official red book on coins and the official blue book on coins?

The Redbook lists buying prices, what you would expect to pay at a coin shop.

The Bluebook lists selling prices, what you would expect to get for your coin if you sold it.

Neither one are entirely accurate, as coin prices fluctuate constantly. But what they are is a good general idea of what some coins could be worth. They are printed yearly, but coin dealer newsletter is published weekly and the prices are generally more accurate. Less background info and no pics though.... another good reason to get the Redbook.

I like Coin Values magazine. The red book is definetly the way to go though. Coin Values has monthly articles and updates on investments, new finds, etc, etc. The red book has way more pics and general info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back