Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
000bbb.jpg
This Should be of Interest to You Guys & Gals.

Two months from now, in late April 2019, the Great American Coin Hunt is planned to launch as part of National Coin Week. Initially, the Great American Coin Hunt started as an idea formed between several coin dealers, but has since evolved into a viral, grassroots campaign that has taken off in the online numismatic community with tens of thousands of enthusiasts planning to participate in the phenomenon. The plan urges hundreds of coin dealers and collectors to drop over one million vintage and collectible coins back into circulation in the United States in an effort to generate renewed interest into the hobby to demographics that have previously been untapped. Coins and notes planned to be released include Buffalo nickels, Ike dollars, Wheat cents, Silver Certificates, five and 10-dollar blue and red seals — and more. These desirable numismatic treasures will be gracing venues ranging from grocery stores to restaurants from April 21, 2019, to April 27, 2019.

Organizers also plan to release an undisclosed amount of specially marked coins which can be redeemed for genuine numismatic rarities at participating coin shops across the United States.
Though I see Issues with Some Places Distributing them to Family Members,
or high volume customers.

000aaa.jpg

Numismatics goes viral in the United States: The coming Great American Coin Hunt | Coin Update

Last edited:
Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell ya what. I have a couple buffs and a couple oddball silvers laying around, I'll throw them in a coin counting machine that week!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i got a few common date buffs,jeffs,wheats and some silver laying around i'll throw in

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Anyone ever find anything from this release?

"The plan urges hundreds of coin dealers and collectors to drop over one million vintage and collectible coins back into circulation in the United States in an effort to generate renewed interest into the hobby to demographics that have previously been untapped. Coins and notes planned to be released include Buffalo nickels, Ike dollars, Wheat cents, Silver Certificates, five and 10-dollar blue and red seals — and more. These desirable numismatic treasures will be gracing venues ranging from grocery stores to restaurants from April 21, 2019, to April 27, 2019."

There were special coins that could be returned to dealers to get more valuable coins. I haven't heard of a single person finding a single one of these marked coins. Anyone else??
"Organizers also plan to release an undisclosed amount of specially marked coins which can be redeemed for genuine numismatic rarities at participating coin shops across the United States"

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gotten one silver half, three silver quarters, a clipped Kennedy half, a TON of state quarters in AU condition, not much else. I threw the state quarters back. They'll never be worth much. I also caught some of the 2019-W quarters in the wild. Also got a steel wheatie and a colored national park quarter. You don't want to know how much change I went through. Really.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those w quarters Ive found close to 100 of the p mint marks I see people on ebay who found whole rolls thats crazy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions