The Everything Else - UFC / MMA Thread

AU24K said:
Hmmmm....
I really don't understand this "sport."
Is it to inflict pain, injury and humiliation on another human being, who, is a second "willing participant?"
{scratches head}Must be some kind of he-man, macho, testosterone thing.... :dontknow: ???

Scott

Do you understand catching an animal by the leg in a rusty trap?

Oh wait...that was the the Other serious topic from that other thread... :D

Iron Patch said:
GPURS said:
I find it rather perverse, or maybe just sad that people like to watch this kind of stuff. But, I guess if a couple of dopes are going to beat the hell out of each other there will always be someone who wants to watch it. To me, this stuff is barely one level above wrestling, and only because wrestling is fake :dontknow:....

My only opinion after reading that is you don't understand it. They are among the best trained athletes in the world and when two guys can fight for 25 minutes and both are still standing, I think that has to say something about their skill level. It is definitely not a street fight, but I'd guess since you don't watch your only exposure is to something like this post showing a few fights, of thousands. Furthermore, had I posted a boxing link would you have the same reaction? I bet not, and many people such as yourself probably don't know this, but there's not much difference between the force of an MMA glove and a boxing glove. If you don't believe me try both and hit a heavy bag, the punches feel just as solid regardless of which one you use. There's actually more to complain about in Hockey than MMA as those guys aren't trained fighters; they're the street type fight goons throwing haymakers but yet the consensus keep it in the sport.

To the contrary my friend. I do understand it. I'm not trying to say these are untrained street thugs, as I'm sure that they train very hard. I just find it odd for a guy to train that hard just to beat the hell out of another human. I guess money is the motivation. And yes I feel the same way about boxing. When I was a kid I watched a fight between Ray "boom-boom" Mancini and Duk ku Kim(sp?), and they beat the crap out of each other for about 12 rounds or so. Around the 12th round, Kim collapsed, never regained consciousness and died later that night. Even as a kid I realized that this fighting thing was a sad "sport"..
Had my share of fist fights when I was a kid, and totally understand the self defense perspective of martial arts, but as I have gotten older I suppose I just kinda outgrew the pugilism thing....

GPURS said:
Iron Patch said:
GPURS said:
I find it rather perverse, or maybe just sad that people like to watch this kind of stuff. But, I guess if a couple of dopes are going to beat the hell out of each other there will always be someone who wants to watch it. To me, this stuff is barely one level above wrestling, and only because wrestling is fake :dontknow:....

My only opinion after reading that is you don't understand it. They are among the best trained athletes in the world and when two guys can fight for 25 minutes and both are still standing, I think that has to say something about their skill level. It is definitely not a street fight, but I'd guess since you don't watch your only exposure is to something like this post showing a few fights, of thousands. Furthermore, had I posted a boxing link would you have the same reaction? I bet not, and many people such as yourself probably don't know this, but there's not much difference between the force of an MMA glove and a boxing glove. If you don't believe me try both and hit a heavy bag, the punches feel just as solid regardless of which one you use. There's actually more to complain about in Hockey than MMA as those guys aren't trained fighters; they're the street type fight goons throwing haymakers but yet the consensus keep it in the sport.

To the contrary my friend. I do understand it. I'm not trying to say these are untrained street thugs, as I'm sure that they train very hard. I just find it odd for a guy to train that hard just to beat the hell out of another human. I guess money is the motivation. And yes I feel the same way about boxing. When I was a kid I watched a fight between Ray "boom-boom" Mancini and Duk ku Kim(sp?), and they beat the crap out of each other for about 12 rounds or so. Around the 12th round, Kim collapsed, never regained consciousness and died later that night. Even as a kid I realized that this fighting thing was a sad "sport"..
Had my share of fist fights when I was a kid, and totally understand the self defense perspective of martial arts, but as I have gotten older I suppose I just kinda outgrew the pugilism thing....

My mistake, I just don't hear many other professional athletes being referred to as dopes.

Far more sports create serious injury or claim lives so shouldn't that be the standard we go by? With that said, I see Nascar as being pretty brutal and considering the deaths it really should be banned. Of course I can say that because I'm not a fan and don't care.

What ever happened to," If you arent stepping on my toes I dont care?"Everbody is about banning everything and protecting us from ourselves.We have much bigger fish to fry in this country dont you think?

St. Pierre tonight! Unfortunately I doubt I'll get my money's worth because the first time he takes Hardy down it could be over. That's as long as he doesn't eat a good right hand first! (Matt Serra style - his only chance)

That was one of my favorites, when Serra beat St. Pierre. But I don't think
you will get your money's worth either. Has Anderson Silva been beat, I don't
to watch every fight.

lastleg said:
That was one of my favorites, when Serra beat St. Pierre. But I don't think
you will get your money's worth either. Has Anderson Silva been beat, I don't
to watch every fight.

Not yet, but I don't think they want him to be beat.

I doubt anyone wants to get in the cage with A. Silva. I'd pay to see him and
Nogueri go at it. Probably mispelled No Gerrry. :laughing9:

Its going to be a good fight to get even if its going to be over quick.Personally I think Hardy is no match.

Figures Ortiz is now hurt and not going to fight Liddell,its going to be Lidell and Franklin

kuger said:
Its going to be a good fight to get even if its going to be over quick.Personally I think Hardy is no match.

Figures Ortiz is now hurt and not going to fight Liddell,its going to be Lidell and Franklin

I'd much rather see the new match up! (Only it should have happened 3 or 4 years ago)

Sniffer said:
if Hardy can stay on his feet, St. Pierre will have a long night

I'll bet say.... $10,000 he won't. Any takers? ;D

Iron Patch said:
Sniffer said:

I agree on both counts I.P,Lidell and Franklin will be a good fight,I like em both though and there is nothing like watching a punk like Ortiz get it handed to him.Lesnar needs it next(ya know hearing Brock one on one he is a likeable guy,but after his last ring antics he is a punk too)
The problem is Pierre is a smart fighter and he is not going to stand up and strike with Hardy,if he wants you down your going down.There is only one or two guys that train like G.S.P,Hardy isnt one of them

kuger said:
Iron Patch said:
Sniffer said:

I agree on both counts I.P,Lidell and Franklin will be a good fight,I like em both though and there is nothing like watching a punk like Ortiz get it handed to him.Lesnar needs it next(ya know hearing Brock one on one he is a likeable guy,but after his last ring antics he is a punk too)
The problem is Pierre is a smart fighter and he is not going to stand up and strike with Hardy,if he wants you down your going down.There is only one or two guys that train like G.S.P,Hardy isnt one of them

What I do think will be interesting about tonight's fight is I think St Pierre will choose to beat him up on the ground rather than taking an easy submission. Send a good message to the rest of the one dimensional fighters that happen to be given a title shot.

I wish i still had access to these fights.....guess ill just go back to Duke Roufus MMA Academy =).....I can afford it again in July =(

I should have taken the bet, although St. Pierre won by decision, it still went the distance.
you can bet money there will be a rematch

Sniffer said:
I should have taken the bet, although St. Pierre won by decision, it still went the distance.
you can bet money there will be a rematch

You would have lost because Hardy was FAR from staying on his feet.

I would go double or nothing on them never fighting again. I am very VERY sure that will not happen. St. Pierre has nothing to gain, and neither does UFC because it was boring. That being said, I give credit to Hardy for being able to hang in there. It's just too bad he had nothing for anything that resembled an offense.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back