The folks from Massachusetts will enjoy this find.

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this one Today at an old park in NJ its copper and not very ledagable first thought was a large cent or some kind of Colonial coin. After looking at it for some time realised its coin/token From Dedham MA on the reverse its a picture of Old Fairbanks House a wooden house built in 1637 !!
The token has some writeing on it but its difficult see. I am curious how old this is? if anyone has any suggestions thanks. Looking the usual routs I found zip EBay and so. thanks for looking, Deffintely zoom in on the reverse its neat.HH Michael pic_20200925_164209.jpgpic_20200925_164244.jpg

Upvote 14
Thank you I appericate the information.

Nice find Mike !! I found this link about the house. Would be a great place to detect if one could get permission or
have an "in" with the caretakers. People claim it is the oldest timber-frame house in North America. CHEERS !!
Link: https://fairbankshouse.org/

As far as I know the Fairbanks house is the oldest surviving structure in the U.S. The beams were dated by dendrochronologists?.
I may be wrong about this but I think I remember the tour guide saying one or more of the beams dated to a tree that grew in the 1400s.
I visited it a few years ago. It's about 15-20 minutes from where I live. Very cool..

Forget about detecting. It's on the Registry of National Landmarks.

I was involved in an archaeologic dig in Sherborn to look for a garrison house built by him .
It was used to repel an attack on Medfield during King Philip's War.
It was a lot of fun. And a great privilege.

Yes I do enjoy that find- Congrats!!

I was involved in an archaeologic dig in Sherborn to look for a garrison house built by him .
It was used to repel an attack on Medfield during King Philip's War.
It was a lot of fun. And a great privilege.
Where in metro west do you live?? I grew up in Cochituate Massachusetts, know the area very well

Yes, it's kinda funny when we in the U.S. think of 1637 as being old. In England and other places in Europe, they would just yawn at that and chuckle under their breath. :laughing7:

Awesome find, congrats! :occasion14:

Yes, it's kinda funny when we in the U.S. think of 1637 as being old. In England and other places in Europe, they would just yawn at that and chuckle under their breath. :laughing7:
The English Civil War buffs wouldn't be yawning as it was only a few years away.

Cool find, well done.

If one takes the amount of time the Romans occupied Britain vs the amount of history we have over on this side-well that puts into perspective-we still are in diapers over here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back