Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
About 40 years ago, I had taken my wife and my 4 year old daughter to a local swimming hole. This was a picturesque place with an old high iron bridge with the wooden planks. The small river was crystal clear as it flowed over the rock shelves below. The water fed over the rocks into a larger pool or hole before winding onward. From up high on the bridge, you could see the various fish feeding and moving about in the water. There was a barbed wire fence to cross but there was a crossing spot where it was lowered somewhat with a burlap bag wrapped around it. This was a place that many of the locals came to for a cool refreshing swim as well as to cook something.

This day was no different, there were several families here with water mellons floating in the cool water in the shade. Kids were whooping and hollering as everyone enjoyed the water. I had brought a little light ultra light rod and reel and now had it out. I had several slices of bread with me and now found a nice quiet spot to fish. I tore off a piece of the bread and then shredded it up into tiny pieces that I tossed out onto the water. Immediately the water came to life, in the sunlight, the vibrant colors of flashing feeding panfish was stunning.

I simpy mashed a small piece of bread onto the tiny hook and flipped it out into the feeding fish. I called my daughter over and she took the pole from me and quickly got it in. We did this several times before several more of the smaller kids came to see what was going on. I would hook one and first ask if any one of them wanted to catch the fish but they were too shy so I would give it to my daughter. Finally, I hooked a nice fish and just handed the pole to this little girl and asked her to hold it for me for a moment. Before she realized it, she was holding to a fish that had the tiny pole doubled over.

At first her eyes were just huge but then she began to giggle as she struggled to hold on. I reached over and slowly turned the handle for her until it was in. I let her look at the fish and even touch it before turning it loose. The next fish, she was all ready and primed for it as she giggled even louder with excitement. On the 3rd fish, she tried to turn the handle herself while her proud parents watched. In all, five kids got to catch their first fish and the jabbering was nonstop. Me, I had a blast watching and listening to them, those smiles and all of that giggling was worth it.

Joshbiz

May 2, 2014
Sugar Hill, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is such a cool story, I have always liked fishing and don't have kids of my own but I did teach my wife how to fish in a similar manner.
I always enjoy while I'm MD and kids come around they are always so impressed when I find a penny and then I'll hand it to them, they are so happy we just dug up money from the ground. It's almost as fun as when I pluck money from my money tree in the back yard..
Thank you for sharing Dirtlooter..

Louie D

Nov 16, 2018
The Motor City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My siblings, cousins and I all learned fishing using a bamboo pole and worms dangling from a bobber. Good times indeed.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you're a good man dirtlooter. there is so much evil in the world these days it's sickening.It's nice to hear about good things .

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Special moments of your life...priceless! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread