The Gold, Silver and Bling of Playgrounds

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

The series of photos depict hunting playgrounds from June 26th – Today: August 28th. During this time I tried a fun experiment. The goal was to hunt only 6 very well used playground areas in affluent communities (some of these playgrounds have 15 rides and over 50 people at peak times) where the kid’s rides are located and had only fine mulch or coarse wood chips as their base. I wanted to see how many things I could find without digging in the grassy areas, but rather hunts based solely on recent or very fresh drops (a few were found a bit deeper). I visited each playground on Monday morning (start time 4:45 am) after the full weekend of children playing and teenagers hanging out. I took about five hours to complete the detecting and travelling per week. The rest of the metal detecting week was dedicated to old coin shooting, relic hunting and researching new places.

In the photos, only jewelry is shown, but rest assured the clad count was extremely high; about $83.00 dollars. During this time I found eight dollar coins around this one ride; a 6 seated spinning horizontal wheel. The trash decreased exponentially as the weeks moved on, since each visit I would remove more and more. By the last few weeks only good targets were found.

The jewelry was mixed with about 95% Bling and 5% Gold and Silver; I’m pleased with the experiment outcome.

Alas, as school opens my experiment has come to an end…cannot wait for next year.

Thank you for viewing.

GL & HH

Doc

play 3.jpg play 1.jpg play 2.jpg play 4.jpg

play 5.jpg play 6.jpg

Upvote 43

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! Those are some really nice finds!!! WTG ! Congrats and HH

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a couple of nice months. That looks like a nice haul.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done Doc- great finds!

-- Jeff --

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My hat goes off to you for taking up the challenge of doing tot-lots with some very impressive finds to boot. Now I can rest knowing there's folks out there taking out the riches out of the mulch that lays beneath the slides.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, what a Great haul - Congratulations! :occasion14:

My experience here in New York, is a bit different. Here, the more affluent the neighborhood the less you find in the tot lots (probably because it is the nannies that take the children out). We find gold and silver in the middle-class neighborhoods. :skullflag:

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Pepperj,

The Slides, Jungle Jim and swing sets always yield the most goodies! I have determined that the "night visitors - teenagers" tend to leave a lot of interesting jewelry items.

Doc

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You really nailed it! Congrats!

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, what a Great haul - Congratulations! :occasion14:

My experience here in New York, is a bit different. Here, the more affluent the neighborhood the less you find in the tot lots (probably because it is the nannies that take the children out). We find gold and silver in the middle-class neighborhoods. :skullflag:

Agreed. You also don't have the cops called on you as quickly or not at all when hunting the middle class tot lots. My experience is upon stepping foot on a tot lot in affluent neighborhoods the timer starts. The quickest I have been approached was in Plandome. No joke, 15 minutes and this is at 6 am on a Saturday morning. Cop pulls up and says something to the effect of "Sorry bud, I could care less if you are here detecting but we have already received 3 calls from different neighbors saying you are "destroying" the playground". I could only laugh. Nice guy, had a good chat and went on my way to "destroy" some other lots.

Nice haul on the experiment :)

-TwoYewts

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Terry,

True about middle-class areas...very productive indeed. :icon_thumleft: I have a few suburban elementary schools that are very productive with silver and gold jewelry. I have found the best hunting at these places is the grassy play areas where kids and parents play (soccer, football and general open spaces). Many people I know do not hunt theses areas, they say it's to much work to dig. :dontknow:

Doc

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello TwoYewts,

You are right about the upper-class areas, that is why I started so early in the morning. I did have the cops called in one town, but they were nice about it and let me continue. Perhaps, because I was dressed fairly decent, worked in the wood chip area and had only my detector (Tesoro Outlaw - killer for tot-lots), pouch, pin pointer and small hand digger, not the usual gear used in my colonial relic hunting.

Also, it didn't hurt that I am a former LEO. :icon_thumright:

Doc

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The corporate banker in me likes any sort of an 'analysis approach' to metal detecting. I especially like this one!

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the experiment! :occasion14:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet tot lot hauls professor!
Congrsts!

I would like to analyze the tot lots i hunt but they put down 10" of fresh wood chips, and i'm pretty sure someone else hunts it....they like leaving just the pennies.

And those deep coin readings get me because they usually are beneith the underlying barrier material. I'm not digging into that.

But it sure is sweet when you find one that hasn't been detected! You practicality don't need your detector, pin pointer will do till the top most is cleared out.

I also go very early to avoid people. I have been "observed" by the local pd but never bothered.

....maybe the wealthly kids are using plastic now.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread