The golden secret of the Valley of death

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry guys the following story is not a Yamashitia related story.

However it is a Philippine treasure legend dating back to around 1905. A little known one at that? A great treasure maybe to be had for those willing to take very great risks. My boss has concerns over this treasure legend as another legend nearer to the region in question had became the subject of cross border incursion and clashes between two countries resulting in the deaths of about 150 people.

The following story may even spark a minor gold rush indeed. I was reminded to warn any prospective adventures of the dangers of the area and of location. You enter this region at your own risk you will face almost impenetrable jungle, high mountains, Rebels and bandits and if that does not kill you the Methane spewing out on the valley from thermal vents on the valley floor from 2 or more active volcano's might do the trick. The region is little explored today. The Valley in question was referred to as the Valley of death. And it is named so for good reason.

The story goes back to era when the United States first occupied the Philippines after the Spanish American war.

The Astor gun battery was paid for by John Jacob Astor the 4th one of richest men in the world at the time.

439px-John_Jacob_Astor_IVb.jpg

His biggest claim to fame was in fact he was one of victims of the Titanic disaster in 1912.

RMS_Titanic_3.jpg

He was so incensed by the Atrocities committed by the Spanish in Cuba he personal paid for and equipped his own gun battery named the Astor battery man by men of utmost quality. The Astor battery was the silver tails of the US army as they were better fed and had better luxuries than the regular troops. However they perform honorably during the Spanish American war. Closely associated with the Astor Battery was the Minnesota 13th infantry battalion.

13th Minnesota Volunteer Inf with gatling gun.jpg

The United States was not seen exactly as liberators in their newly conquered islands of the Philippines by the local population. Spanish the former colonist power had for several hundred year unable to full control the countryside. A resistance to colonial rule was bitterly opposed regardless if they were Spanish or American. And atrocities were committed on both sides of the conflict. The Astor Battery and 13 Minnesota infarction battalion was one such army units based in Manila. The time had come for them to demobilize and many of the Spanish America war veterans returned to the United States. But not all however. There was a few who saw the Philippines as chance to make their fortunes.

tr.jpg

Three of the following story such Americans stayed behind eager for fortune and glory. It was in there time among the islands some of the soldier some were ex-gold miners from Cripple creek in Colorado, notice the natives panning for gold with coconut husks. It was from this primitive gold recovery method many of the men realized that the Philippines was full of gold. What amazed then the Spanish who had control over the island for several hundred years never really exploited the gold. Spain's blunder could become Americas latest gold rush.

How the three found about the fabled Valley of death is a matter conjecture? Some critics claim it may of been exploited through torture during the bitter war to put down the Filipino revolt. Perhaps through torture?

water-torture.jpg

Even now large areas of the island was still no go areas outside areas of American control. However the lure of gold drove many of these ex soldier for fortune and glory In the mountain fastness of the remotest corners of the Philippines.

One such remote region was the second largest island of the archipelago of the Philippines was Mindanao. Our 3 adventurers must of heard about the famous size gold nuggets to be found around the edges of a mysterious smog filled valley in the Mountains of Mindanao.

To be continued....

Amy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The island of Mindanao is divided today as it was in 1900.

Local skirmishes between local tribes and ethnic tensions between groups and a bitter hostility to interference from outsiders had for the most part protected the island from Spanish influence. And Now it was America prospectors keen to seek their fortune and glory in this mysterious of islands. In 1900 much of the interior was still unexplored and even maps still had many errors on them. The Morro tribes held on to their independence with ferocious.

The following map shows the make up of the ethnic mix on the island around 1900.

Mindanao1900 Distributionoftheraces.jpg

The three ex-American soldiers, we know the full name of only two of them and the other just known as Rudy? G A Carpenter and Frank W Reading. They were not you run of the mill prospectors from the wild west mining towns from the United States. They were from east coast of USA and amazing as it sounds they were lawyers that perhaps bored with their jobs sought adventure in Astor s battery not anticipating there next adventure into the wilds of Mindanao.

FRANK REDDING 1898 SPANISH AMERICAN WAR RECORDS s.jpg

One of the first reports of mysterious valley of death came out in a 1903 newspaper article The Freeman's Journal Saturday 4 July 1903, page 42

Freeman's Journal  Saturday 4 July 1903, page 42.jpg

The famous Death Valley.is far inland on the Island of Mindanao. The interior of the island is covered with mountains, and there are many indications of volcanic eruptions. After one range of mountains is crossed. there is a deep descent. This is the edge of the valley. It looks like the rim of a great crater, but it it too large for that. It is surrounded by high mountains, and covers many square miles. When crossing 'the mountains the traveler sees a heavy mist, similar to a fog, hanging over the land beneath him. The mist is heavier and darker than the most dense fog, and it has never 'been known to clear away. The air that we breathed (says a traveler who visited this mysterious spot) was heavy and very foul.

We knew that there were poisonous gases in the atmosphere from the very effect in which the air above had upon us. As I was not out upon an expedition to find out gas and how much suffering we could endure I called a halt long before we were in the thick of the mist. We decided at once to return to the mountain tops and survey the valley at a distance. I was anxious to make some report of the valley, for natives had brought nuggets of gold from the neighbouring islands, which were larger than any I had ever before heard of. They said that they had found these at the: edge of the Valley of Death. No one has ever been known to cross this strange valley, and several parties which have made the attempt have failed and (have been forced to return to the mountains exhausted and sick.) Many, people have been overcome by the poisonous gases ; and have only been rescued by their companions whose lungs were not so full of fumes. H quickly affected. So far as I can understand. I believe that, there must be some volcanic : fissure somewhere in the valley and from this is constantly pouring forth the poisonous vapour which ever hangs over the valley. From descriptions of other volcanic gases I believe that this is the explanation of the mist which hangs over the 'Valley of Death.

Was the story sourced from one of the three Americans?

it appears we get a little more information from the following year?

To be continued....

Amy

OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1904 the following newspaper gives a little more detail on the story.

Bairnsdale Advertiser and Tambo and Omeo Chronicle  Thursday 4 August 1904, page 4 s.jpg

Here it gives the name Rudy and mentions a Chicago Newspaper. The Chicago newspaper mentions George Albert Carpenter and Frank W reading. Both of them in census was recorded as Lawyers. George A Carpenter was a successful lawyer who years later became a judge in 1920. He travel extensively around the world. He was a man with powerful connections in the state department. He claimed Chicago article he was asked to look at the site in regards to any opportunities in the Philippines.

Judge George Albert Carpenter below.

JUDGE GEORGE A CARPENTER.jpg

The Key player was of course Frank W Reading below.

FRANK W REDDING 1918.jpg

Frank W reading is first mentioned in the Los Angeles Herald, on 8 March 1901

Los Angeles Herald, Volume XXVIII, Number 158, 8 March 1901 — Philippine Mine.jpg

The following document shows frank W reading returned to united states in 1918, After many years in the Philippines. But his stay was not long before he was back in his beloved Philippines.

California, Passenger and Crew Lists, 1882-1957 forFrank W Redding s.jpg

More information can be gained from his activities in Philippines. Did they manage to overcome the obstacles in exploring the gold in the Valley of Death?

To be continued.....

Amy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some questions should be asked about this story?

Is there a valley of death full of fumes and gasses? Was there any gold? We do not know and thus the Verdict is open. That is the bane of all treasure legends.

13584887232.jpg

And rightly so. The story graced the newspapers of 3 -4 years, then silence. When know from Shipping records Frank w reading did not return to United States until after WW1.However he did apply for an American Passport and listed his permanent address in Zamboanga in Mindanao.

UNITED STATE PASSPORT APPLICATIONS fRENCK W REDDING 1911 s.jpg

From this and later records we could assume their attempts at recovering gold from this mysterious valley failed perhaps because of not having the technology with breathing apparatus at the time? George Albert Carpenter never came back to the Philippines. George A Carpenter became a very successful Judge and later traveled to Europe and took a post with united States consul in Rome.

Frank W Reading spent many years in Philippine traveling to Japan China and back to united States. He lived to about 85 and was by all accounts a prosperous timber merchant. And what of this mysterious valley and hidden fortune in gold well WW2 came along and it was lost from memory. Perhaps there is still much gold to be found in a valley of endless fog somewhere out in the mountains of the interior of Mindanao?

But where is this mysterious valley of Death?

Ragang.jpg

Amy

Attachments

• U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925 FRANK W REDDING P1 BV s.jpg
    U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925 FRANK W REDDING P1 BV s.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was fun.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey Amy Luv, I was in the Philippines, one of the reasons for their staying on was they had / have some damn cute broads !!!
A top story., unholy trio type.when are we leaving ???

Don Jose the one eyed Jack de la Mancha

wilkes

May 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for finding this one Amy! I have a few thoughts about the location in Mindanao. The more I go over the facts, the more I think you do too ;)

I would be happy to trade ideas on where the location might be by PM.

OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Wilkes sure post away. I have a few ideas of roughly where also.

Mindanao is an island of many secrets.

83179693 s.jpg

Amy

OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello One eyed Jack Mancha

So it was you wrote Kilroy was ere all over the Philippines?:laughing7:

I gather you did not spend much time there chasing gold or perhaps you back then preferred to chase a treasure of another kind? :laughing7:

As for the trio they are AOWL at present. :dontknow:

Amy

wilkes

May 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The map supports my current theory. I will keep digging before I present it to you.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guten Tag Amy luv y ;wilkie; wo ist das kaffee" :coffee2::coffee2::coffee2: ????

before you run off to Mindanoa, read about the moratorium on
mining.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Close down mining firms violating laws in Philippines - The Mindanao Examiner

Boon or Bane: Philippine Mining as the Booster of Economic Growth | TIME.com

Geological features of some epithermal gold systems, Philippines

Gem - Philippines

Mindanao has $840 billion untapped mineral resources says US | Manna ! Quail !

More calls for mining moratorium aired amid ?the most dangerous mines in the world? | MindaNews

President Benigno Aquino III ordered a stop to all mining activities in all (78 areas) protected and eco-tourism sites. A positive step in the right direction to protect the natural resources of the Philippines.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
as usual a jesuit priest, Fr Joel Tabora, is behind it. Repetition of Mexico in 1700's ??

You probably can find a geological map on the internet, which would include geotheral activities alsoEl oneeyed Jack from

A fascinating project

El one eyed Jack de la Mancha

Last edited:
OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Wilkes I suspect you also already know the site in question?

El one eyed Jack de la Mancha.... Your both thinking along the same lines. For me there is only one area in Mindanao that has has consistent Geo thermal activity.

As for mining on Mindanao in many parts of the island. The Government there is trying to control the illegal mining there and forcing more reputable mines to clean up their act in Occupational health and safety and environment.

The small mining operations there are contravening many international laws that the Philippine government signed an agreement on. For the rural poor it is big enticement to mine illegally as they have no or little option to earn money for everyday survival. Most of these operation rely on child labor with little regard for environmental impacts or health and safety. Most returns from these operations are modest. But it comes at a terrible price.

Some of the mines along the river are completely flooded and worked have to dive into underwater flooded tunnels to gather ore.

larry-c-price.jpg

How this would you work 10 hours a day underwater in a flooded mine tunnel with no support and at risk caving in with a hole in a air hose shared by other to breath with through clenched teeth?
Price Gold Web Slide Show059.JPG

most on the mines along the river are flooded from ground water so workers work long hours neck deep in water.
Price-Philippine-Gold-Child-Labor003.jpg

There is a chance if an agreement can be made that this valley of death could become a big bonanza for the local population and provide Jobs and better Health and safety and environment out comes for the region.

Price Gold Web Slide Show010.JPG

Makes you wonder if many of these will survive to adulthood?

Price Photo Week Slide Show003.jpg

Most of these mines in regards to modern mining are economic. But to rural poor it is only way to make money for them. what little there is. In most of rivers in the east of Mindanao. An Australian company dredged the river beads of the most accessible gold before ww1.

PhilippineGold2.jpg

Unfortunately it takes will power and capital investment.

Amy

Last edited:

wilkes

May 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geo-thermal output is probably the last piece to my puzzle in definitively identifying the location. As far as geography goes, I think the few locations I am looking into are probable.

I will keep at it and see if I can nail it down.

EDIT - If I ever chose to visit Mindanao and seek out the location, it would only be for the adventure. I wouldn't plan on doing any mining and would likely turn the location over to the locals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Doc-D

Pleased you enjoyed the story.

Wilkes I hope you can nail down the location. I am curious to see if it is similar to where I suspect?

It would be an adventure indeed but a very dangerous one.

One you have to deal with separatist movement caught between government forces and enter a valley with air so think with fumes you cannot breathe. But if the legend is true it might be one of the biggest gold discoveries this century?

Amy

wilkes

May 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The newspaper notes suggest that various adventurers had attempted to locate the same valley. My guess is that the easy gold hanging around the rim has generally been removed at this point, but evidence of the location and their adventures should remain...

Following the clues and finding the exact location would be the adventure for me.

I will let you know soon Amy :)

Apart from Lasseters reef, you wouldn't happen to know too many Aussie treasure legends, would you? Perhaps for another thread...

OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Wilkes.

My boss Hardluck collected treasure legends and documentation like people collect stamps. hes got thousands of them. From all around the world. Any State of Preference?

Pirate treasure, hidden caches,lost gold reefs? Name your poison? :laughing7:

One eyed Jack Don Mancha, maybe maybe not? Most of the gold exploration has been on the eastern part of Mindanao. However there is one region of Mindanao that still has not been explored much because of bandits and rebels. That said you in the general area.

And that is another huge problem as some territories you would have negotiate your way in. If not you might end up like a friend of Hardluck's in the 80's A German treasure hunter who was married to a women in Cebu. He went to search in secret this region and ended up getting kidnapped for ransom. The end result was not good. His wife got sent a cardboard box with his head in it, when she could not afford to pay. As a warning to others when you cross onto their turf uninvited.

Is it the same today 25 odd years later or has it all changed and more friendly to outsiders? I do not know?

Amy

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions