The Gunilda Found in Lake Superior!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
One of the legendary shipwrecks in the Great Lakes has been found!

Gunilda.PNG

Divers report the discovery of the long-lost luxury yacht Gunilda - one of the best known "treasure shipwrecks" of Lake Superior. Or the other four, as well.

For years magazines such as Skin Diver published articles about her loss. It is a very sad story - apparently her wealthy owner wouldn' t pay a pilot to take her through treacherous waters. So he paid a much larger price, instead.

Here are some beautiful photos - the stuff dreams are made of!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/century-old-sunken-ship-preserved-slideshow-wp-103919425.html

No mention, yet, of the treasure in jewelry supposed to have been on board...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome photography. Almost looks like a Hollywood set for Jack Sparrow or something.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, just amazing pictures and still in such good shape. Looks like they could just re-float it ? Erie looking though.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Old Bookaroo, I hope you don't mind, I have a link here for more interesting information and the loss of life in searching and finding this ship.
Thank you in advance. :notworthy:

The story about Gunilda

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Simon1: I'm trying to start the conversation - not end it! The more information the better. I remain very jealous of Don Jose starting a thread with almost 500 pages and 500,000 comments! To me that's the best TN has to offer.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Imagine that! "Hey - I left my hat on the bed! You guys go ahead and get in the lifeboat - I'll be right back."

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Old Bookaroo the Gunilda was first found in 1967. The location is well known and several others have dived on it.

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Salvor6:

I did not know that. 1967! It might explain the empty safe. I am a student of Manitou Passage Lake Michigan shipwrecks. Treasure ships of the Great Lakes I've followed as a hobby - particularly since the passage of the Abandoned Shipwreck Act and all the legislation that followed.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gunilda is a great story.

She was owned (and possibly piloted that day) by William Harkness, a Standard Oil heir. His family cruised from the Carribean to Lake Superior.

While the loss was felt, he owned 2 other yachts her size, and was certainly not a serious financial loss for him. It was insured for $100,000.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic post. The pictures with the room all lit up are beautiful. Possible one of the most beautiful wrecks I've ever seen!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread