OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
REMINDER, ditto to the last post amigo; it has been another 11 days. Still waiting... :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :help:

I also want to ask you Jose and our mutual amigo Ed what can you tell me about the 'Valley of Silence' in Chihuahua? Thank you in advance,

Ed - haven't seen any posts by you lately, I hope all is well with you and that you have been simply too busy digging up GOLD and silver to spend time with us. Drop us a note now and then, okay? Just so we won't worry. :read2: :thumbsup:
Roy

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good evening my friends back to the Tayopa campaign and the associated side trips. Where shall we start? Tepoca, La Tarasca, Las Pimas, La Gloria pan, Tayopa, looking for Mayan ruins, Yaquis, mining, prospecting, free travel on a mule with no worries or time schedules, or whatever.

Any one heard from lil Orphan Annie? He has interesting parallel data. I think that I know him if he is from Mazatlan.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
No word from Lil' Orphan Annie recently, hope everything is OK?

As to where to start, any part you mentioned is fine with me. :read2: :thumbsup:
Oroblanco

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good morning my friends: as the old western goes, I'm back in the saddle again". We have a long ride ahead of us.

First: Orphan annie, if you are still there, the tayopa that you marked is not 'the' mine, in fact that lies
quite a distance away. That is the old tayopa ranch. I agree, that has never been lost, nor have the other many tayopas
scattered across Sonora and Chihuahua either.

Incidentally, just how did you drive there from Yecora? That is a 6 hr drive in 'good weather' ? that is not the Tayopa you
mentioned driving to, which lies North West from Yecora.

This tayopa is where they had their general headquarters, complete with a Mission. In the background, looking south,
a beautiful little, clear stream runs all year long. It runs W -> East, then turns North for quite a distance, perhaps
1/2 way to the actual Taloyotes to the North East, here it again turns East then shortly, South to where it
finally joins the Rio Mayo many miles down stream.

I should add, this was not in existance when the actual Tayopa mine was in operation, the 1600's, but later, when they
returned to work the area for some 50 / 100 miles in diameter. It was in operation until the expulsion. So In actuality
it has nothing to do with the original Tayopa, which was never reopened.

Some day I am going to go there and convince the rancher to let me excavate.

Ok ORO, the water for the coffee is just about ready, the tortillas are nicely browned, and the dried meat, the 'carne machaca',
chopped up with chilis and other spices is ready, so get to cracking. The mules are scrounging nicely and are contented.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Attachments

• Headquarters cuartel @©.jpg
    Headquarters cuartel @©.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 534
OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Sounds good, coffee is ready and bisquits are browning in the old reflector oven, should be ready soon... :thumbsup: :coffee2:
camp-coffee-&-bisquits.jpg

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ORO, gasp, gasp, what is that in your mouth? and chairs yet? sheesh any self respecting sheep herder
such as yourself, should be using his saddle to lean against. Hot sourdough biscuits drooling with local
bee hive honey, & Coffee? hmm weeel, forgiven this time.

I see that I am going to have to teach you to cook over coals, not a fire. How come you ran our bestest
friend away from the fire, he has to sleep out in the cold shadows.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Don Jose you surprise me!
No self-respecting cowboy would be seen without his tobacco, and you should know that reflector ovens require a rather blazing fire - not to mention the temperatures being @18 F a nice fire is necessary. I never force the dogs to be close to the fire either, as you know Huskies prefer the cold - they are not tied in place but curled up at what they decide is a comfortable distance, as well as being in position to defend camp from any intruders. We have a Dutch oven and do bake with coals as well, it is nice to have both choices - just as you may note in the photo, there is both instant coffee and 8 O'clock beans for brewed, one for mornings when you need a coffee fast and the nice slow-brewed stuff around the evening campfire.

I need to talk you into doing a little digging in the north country, with working dogs; may even talk you into getting a couple of Huskies to take along on your expeditions? :tongue3:
Oroblanco

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ORO: I'll grant you that old time cowboys (sheep lovers??) needed their baccy for morale and skeeter repellent.

Instant coffee in the morning? Whot in ell is Beth for? Females 'must' get up and have that, plus a nice warming
fire ready for when the master arises at his leasure -- ok, ok, I don't get away with it either, but it does sound nice.

Fire ?? well a Dutch oven makes nice stews as well as sourdough biscuits, or as you cold butted northerners make, Bannock.
But in the interests of Beth making your morning coffee cheerfully, coals leave a cleaner pot and a more constant heat source.

As for the Husky poochies, am weakening, it depends if your's and I get to a good foot warming arrangement / agreement.

But such a large fire? an armful of small limbs are enough for a cold night. When I was living with the Yaqui's,
they burned up an entire tree in just one night, and weren't as comfortable as my assoc and I were with just an armful of twigs.

They don't even know how to build simple, small cold air deflecting fences.

Don Jose De La Mancha

o

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Hola compadre, (and everyone reading our heated argument ;D)

You may have noticed the Dutch oven was in use, still had the pot roast leftovers in it so it was nice to have the reflector oven. I have to respectfully disagree on the size of the fire though, some Northerners do not consider it a proper fire even fit to make tea with, unless the flames are shooting at least six feet high. My camp fires are quite puny, by comparison.

About the Husky habit of keeping feet warm, they do as a matter of fact, like to keep their chin and/or one or more feet on top of your foot at all times including while at home watching TV or sitting at the computer and right now, one on each foot. i always thought it was their way of keeping tabs, so that if the 'alpha dog' were to get up to go somewhere, they know instantly and can thus accompany you. When it comes to the sleeping bag it is a different matter entirely, as they like to sleep with their chin on top of your neck, under your chin. If a person were not accustomed to this, it could be a bit intimidating but it is how pup sleeps with mother dog and is a sign of affection/ownership, not a threat.

***Side note, NOT trying to talk everyone into getting a Husky, in fact just the opposite as they are quite a handful and NOT the type of dog for life in apartments or city living. It takes a person whom is a bit on the 'bossy' side to get along with them, for if the dog can boss you around they will. So don't get a Husky dog, unless of course you are a typical hard-case treasure hunter/prospector in which case I can't think of a more appropriate breed to recommend. I am attaching a photo to illustrate Husky sleeping habits ***
angel-snoozing-with-pop.jpg

A quick question here - do I take it that you are not a fan of hot, freshly-baked bannock dripping with melted butter? I would have thought you had eaten your share along the way, not as filling as cornbread of course but it does 'stick by you' to help get through the tough parts of the trails. If you are not a fan of bannock we will have to make adjustments to the menu!

Now quit dodging and start taking us to Tayopa, the way you got there! ;D :read2: :thumbsup: :coffee2:
Oroblanco

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Oroblanco,

Don't despair, to find Tayopa, one has to beat around the bush! Just sharpen your machete, and wait for El Viejo to lead the way.

Homar P. Olivarez

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, Ok, the husky is in, but that, that, (?) beard has to go sheesh !

The area around Tayopa is quiet, it is not on the main route of the narcos feeding the gringos
drug dependency. As a matter of fact it is at the actual 'end' of a 55 kilometer( 35 mile), 5 #
bag of hard candy road, which can be covered in only 5 -6 hours in good weather. See Headquarter's
building attach. and southern view from Tayopa.

The initial program may cover the main deposit, leaving the actual opening of Tayopa for later
for many reasons.

I may start on my Escondida / Magia mines for financing the Tayopa expedition by combining
them with a friend of mine's nearby mine and mill site. La Sabina. He has 300,000 meters of
2-9 gram tailings as well as his gold mine.

Both are on a state maintained all weather paved road down on the flat lands with hi power lines
at site and only 50 meters away at La Escondida.

Labor is 5 miles away. 30 miles to a RR shipping center, 50 miles to a large modern city, Obregon.

Initial work could be on the tailings. the Escondida ore runs $ 1,000 - 4,000 a ton.

Intersted Oro? (make him go to work Beth) But bring the neck scarfs.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. Jales are dump rock.

Attachments

• Escondida state assay.jpg
    Escondida state assay.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 496
  • Escondida state assay.jpg
    Escondida state assay.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 470
  • vein in La Escondida.jpg
    vein in La Escondida.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 602
OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Hola amigos,

Don Jose, el Tropical Tramp
Ok, Ok, the husky is in, but that, that, (?) beard has to go sheesh !

The area around Tayopa is quiet, it is not on the main route of the narcos feeding the gringos
drug dependency. As a matter of fact it is at the actual 'end' of a 55 kilometer( 35 mile), 5 #
bag of hard candy road, which can be covered in only 5 -6 hours in good weather. See Headquarter's
building attach. and southern view from Tayopa.

The initial program may cover the main deposit, leaving the actual opening of Tayopa for later
for many reasons.

I may start on my Escondida / Magia mines for financing the Tayopa expedition by combining
them with a friend of mine's nearby mine and mill site. La Sabina. He has 300,000 meters of
2-9 gram tailings as well as his gold mine.

Both are on a state maintained all weather paved road down on the flat lands with hi power lines
at site and only 50 meters away at La Escondida.

Labor is 5 miles away. 30 miles to a RR shipping center, 50 miles to a large modern city, Obregon.

Initial work could be on the tailings. the Escondida ore runs $ 1,000 - 4,000 a ton.

Intersted Oro? (make him go to work Beth) But bring the neck scarfs.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. Jales are dump rock.

I am very glad to hear that labor is at least 5 miles away, though it would be comforting if work were MUCH farther away from me, five miles is as close as I care to get to any kind of LABOR! ;D <I might get a blister! Ouch! :o :'(>

Interested, well gee I don't know, with the ore running a mere $1000 to $4000 per ton, a guy might not make a million dollars an hour without breaking a sweat! :o :o :o ::) :thumbsup:

Not to get off-topic on this, but I would like to know what the Escondida ore is like; is it siliceous (quartz), it is decomposed at all (which would make for easier work in breaking it out, as well as breaking it down for processing) what are the gangue minerals for starters? What about the type of excavation you believe will work best, as in, do you think sinking a shaft would be better or perhaps driving a drift into it, or "step" excavation to later enlarge into a 'pit' type of mine etc? You don't have to be too specific if you don't care to make this info public, and should you change your mind about how to proceed at any point along the way, you can be sure that I will be quick to say "I told you that would not work" and get in a huff. :tongue3: :laughing9: :laughing7: <Just kidding of course, I know that it is wise to change plans if it turns out that the original plan is not working out well>

How did you discover Escondida in the first place? Were you following up clues or a waybill, map etc or were you scouting for something quite different and the discovery was rather accidental? Did you notice a 'gossan' or bloom of discoloration on the surface rock, or happen to find interesting float that led you to it, or perhaps were tracing back colors you panned somewhere downstream/downhill of the mine?

How is that for pestering you with a bunch of silly questions amigo? :tongue3: I hope you will continue to expand on your history and the full story of Tayopa, Escondida and the other famous lost mines la Gloria Pan, Lluvia de Oro, Cienega etc. I look forward to your replies, and thank you in advance.
Oroblanco

***PS I can't make any promises about shaving closer; since going on fish-oil capsules the old whiskers have become incredibly tough. Beth got me an old-fashioned straight razor which seems to be the only thing that will cut them, and I am a-skeered of sharp edgy things so don't like to step any closer to the razor than is absolutely necessary. Besides, it helps filter out any kamikaze-type insect life that took a swan dive in one's cup of java, so has some advantages. :wink: It also helps to conceal the features of my face, which have proven to be so overly-attractive to members of the opposite sex that they have frequently revealed their becoming instantly love-struck by loud peals of laughter and pointing. We all know that is very much the same thing as Elvis had to suffer with, so it helps keep such ardent passions from inflaming by simply allowing the facial hair to conceal as much face as possible.

Sheesh - next you will be telling me to "get a haircut, and get a REAL job" as the song goes! :o :o :o :thumbsup:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
You've posted that assay before - works out to a little less than an ounce per ton gold values, maybe an ounce or two of silver, neglible copper and significent lead and zinc. Looks like a sulfide vein assay. A couple observations from afar:

Sulfide ores can be tough to recover gold from - tough meaning expensive, even if you plan on leaching it. Complex ores require all sorts of concentrating processing to release the gold - roasting, flotation, fine milling, pressure treatment, etc., depending on the chemistry. This is why oxide ores were exploited in many old mines, then abandoned at depth when they gave out. If you are planning on recovering this ore, I suggest you hire a well-qualified mining engineer to advise you.

That nearby labor - do they know anything about safely getting rock out of the ground?

What's the permitting process in Mexico nowadays? Used to be a tribute payment to the alcalde. I suspect things are different now.

Mining is all about economics. If a pile of rock has a $million of gold values and costs $2 million to recover, well .... do the math yourself.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning springfield: you posted-->You've posted that assay before
Yes, I have, it becomes a bit difficult to continuously post new pictures on the Tayopa
forum without giving away critical information eventually.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
You also posted -->Sulfide ores can be tough to recover gold from - tough meaning
expensive, even if you plan on leaching it
Nope, with the RR shipping center near by, will let the commercial mill handle the concentrates.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
You also posted -->Mining is all about economics. If a pile of rock has a $million of
gold values and costs $2 million to recover, well .... do the math yourself.
Absolutely no argument, this is why the location is soo important. 365 days a year work possible,
state maintained access at no expense to the mine, RR shipping siding only 35 miles away, major
materiel source of only 50 miles away. power lines only 500 meters away. Noront of Canada offered
40,000 shares valued $ 280,000 plus 2 % NET for the bare property, plus already paid option
payments equal to $ 350,000 --we caught the explosion of the share price -- and $25,000 in cash.

Their Eng apparently decided that it was economically feasible.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Attachments

• Escondida option agreement.jpg
    Escondida option agreement.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 485
  • Escondida sales contract.jpg
    Escondida sales contract.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 489

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
You also posted -->Mining is all about economics. If a pile of rock has a $million of
gold values and costs $2 million to recover, well .... do the math yourself.
Absolutely no argument, this is why the location is soo important. 365 days a year work possible,
state maintained access at no expense to the mine, RR shipping siding only 35 miles away, major
materiel source of only 50 miles away. power lines only 500 meters away. Noront of Canada offered
40,000 shares valued $ 280,000 plus 2 % NET for the bare property, plus already paid option
payments equal to $ 350,000 --we caught the explosion of the share price -- and $25,000 in cash.

Their Eng apparently decided that it was economically feasible.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Congratulations for the 350k deal. I hope you sold those Noront shares because as you know, the once-$7 shares are currently trading at about $1. Am I correct that you relinquished ownership of the Escondida claims to Noront in lieu of future 2% smelter royalties? As you know, Noront no longer considers themselves precious minerals explorers/miners - they now are trying to make something of a nickel deposit up in Canada, apparently the only property they claim interest in to their shareholders. Hopefully you somehow got those claims back if Noront let them lapse. If so, you'll need to start over raising interest in them - a tough nut to crack with all the ongoing action in Mexico these days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread