The land of firsts produces once again..UPDATE...PICS ADDED.CRUST FREE

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Today I hunted with another Tnet member(djabend) and i brought him too old faithful..yep that land of firsts is what I'm calling it now.I picked him up at his home and we were on our way back to my neck of the woods getting acquainted during the drive i pointed out many promising sites along the way,we talked about our finds,ourselves and so on passing the driving time.
finally at the spot we jump out of the car and fire up the detectors,not 5 minutes after getting out of the vehicle Donny aka djabend noticed a few previous plugs(dug by myself days before)sweeping his White's detector over one of them he says to me hey I'm getting a signal did you leave something in here(i gave up days earlier due to a copious amount of impenetrable roots :'()I then replied go ahead if you find something it's yours as i meandered about 20 yards yonder.Two minutes later the prizmII I'm swinging gets a nice nickle hit,as i started digging my plug Donny says WOW a Mercury dime 1944(i was kicking myself inside for giving up on that hole days ago)happy for him i leave my hole walk to were he is took a look...man what a nice Merc. full bands n all,then i went back to my hole and i pulled out my 1st Buffalo Nickle(appears to be a 1923).
Four minutes later i get another nickel signal not 5 feet or so from where i scored the buffalo and in this hole i pulled out my second first of today a 1911 V Nickle i walked it over to Donny and showed him that one we doused it w/ a bit of water to see some detail at this point we could only relish the moment.we also walked away with about (4) 1940 nickles some clad,Donny found an old oil can,i also dug my second pocket knife,and a brass Remington shell casing that reads REM-UMC No 12 ARROW which dates between 1911-1934 the part that held the shot appears to have been made of paper and last but not least the usual trash that comes with the territory.

I have my 2 coins soaking in oil at this moment and i will post the pics asap as will i post the rest of the days finds in a day or two.....I was thinking that maybe because I'm 3 months into this hobby everything seems to be a first for me,but gosh it's been an amazing few months and the stuff i am digging out of this area has me in awe everytime i let them see the light of day once again.To quote many of you on Tnet ...."I LOVE THIS HOBBY".....so far it's been good to me 5 awesome firsts in less than 2 weeks (with 2 different Tnet members being able to be there with me too see them)and only getting better.

Thanks for reading my post i apologise for not posting pics at this time but i will soon,stay safe & HH
~Shawn~

Attachments

• 1911 V rev..JPG
    1911 V rev..JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 426
  • 1911 V nickle.JPG
    1911 V nickle.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 425
  • Buff. reverse.JPG
    Buff. reverse.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 430
  • Buff.1923.JPG
    Buff.1923.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 433
  • shot shell int..JPG
    shot shell int..JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 429
  • shot shell.JPG
    shot shell.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 432
  • pocket knife.JPG
    pocket knife.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 428
Upvote 0
OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Re: The land of firsts produces once again(pics will be added later)

No pics No lookie huh...lol

I know everyone loves pics as do I,but i just had to write it down while it was still fresh in my mind...please dont hate me :'(...just bare with me.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

UnEarthed72 said:
No pics No lookie huh...lol

I know everyone loves pics as do I,but i just had to write it down while it was still fresh in my mind...please dont hate me :'(...just bare with me.

I looked... but only wanted to comment twice! LOL... GET THE PICS!!!!...

I'll be back...

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe

Well I guess I will add my pics on here. Yep that is pretty much how it happened, can't wait to hunt it again.
He was right about the merc, nicest one I have found so far. It was 7 inches under a lot of roots
1944 merc obv.JPG
1944 merc rev.JPG
We also found lots of these tin lids from chocolate milk. They read 10 VDI higher then a nickel but I dug them just to be sure.
tin lids.JPG
The oil can was neat because it had dimes in the hole with it just setting on top. They must have been dropped at the same time.

Here are pictures of the 2 old nickels he found that I took in the field. I hope they clean up nice.
DSC01687.JPG
DSC01689.JPG
In all it was a fun hunt and was great to meet a fellow Treasure-net member.
Sept 25 finds.JPG

Happy Hunting!

DSC01686.JPG

Donny

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Wow... up close and personal on the dime! Awesome! :)

Thanks for posting... you guys have plans to hit that spot again?

Man I miss Upstate... especially the colors this time of year...

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used

Montana Jim said:
Wow... up close and personal on the dime! Awesome! :)
you guys have plans to hit that spot again?

Yes I hope to take at least a few more swings at this spot.
HH,
Donny

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

The pics look awesome Donny,I'm glad it turned out to be an eventfull hunt,getting skunked was out of the question.
I'm gonna try and post pics of my coins sometime tonight after doing a few things i have to get done today(they won't look as spectacular as yours lol).I love how well the choc. milk lids cleaned up..nice job.We definitely will hunt it again,I'd hate to leave any goodies there over the winter

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

excellent finds , and those pics are great congrats ;)

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Re: The land of firsts produces once again..UPDATE PICS ADDED....

Thank you for waiting everyone,i let the coins soak in oil for a few days and all the crusty came off...any suggestions on the next step i should take to get more detail or should i just leave them as is?

i did build an electrolysis cleaner today and tried it on a clad nickle..it works pretty well but i don't think i wanna go that route with these coins....what would you do?

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used

UnEarthed72 said:
Thank you for waiting everyone,i let the coins soak in oil for a few days and all the crusty came off...any suggestions on the next step i should take to get more detail or should i just leave them as is?
Leave them as is. I can't wait to see them in person, they look much better then they did.
HH,
Donny

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

Will do,although i had high hopes the V nickle would of turned out a bit better it still has detail after 96 years so i cant complain.

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
I did notice when i used electrolysis on a few clad coins they ended up coming much cleaner but they now seem to have been pitted a bit by this process.

am i doing anything wrong or does it just have that effect on all coins subjected to electrolysis?

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always fun to have a hunting buddy and even better when you find some keepers!

Ya'll did good! Congrats! Nana ;)

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
The two of you did real good! Those are some nice finds.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Congratulations to you and your friend. Very cool of you to take him to a cool spot. Super job on those firsts. Very nice getting that first V and Buffalo. I have yet to pull out either one of those nickels in good shape though. They always seem to be stained very much red clay like here. Kinda odd since we don't really have much red clay here, guess it is acidic ground.

Rev

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Postalrevnant said:
Congratulations to you and your friend. Very cool of you to take him to a cool spot. Super job on those firsts. Very nice getting that first V and Buffalo. I have yet to pull out either one of those nickels in good shape though. They always seem to be stained very much red clay like here. Kinda odd since we don't really have much red clay here, guess it is acidic ground.

Rev

Donny is a great guy,it was actually the first day i ever met him in person.another Tnet member(disciple..a great person as well) and i have done pretty well there so for our first outing i figured it was the best place to go without getting skunked so i didn't mind at all.I kept getting nickle hits after i found the two and kept telling him..heres a nickle dig it and it's yours lol...I'm sure we will continue to detect together and hopefully keep finding some nice keepers.

your V nickle is out there Rev

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread