The Lost Breyfogle Gold Mine

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should clarify Charles C Beyfogle was the alleged finder of the lost Beyfogle mine. There is another Charles Beyfogle in the family born 1833?

BEYFOGLE FAMILY TREE..JPG

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has be criticism n that Charles was con man. There was accusation that while supervisor for a road project he embezzled money. However there was no proof he was directly or indirectly involved. But of course mud sticks.

So while it questions Charles C Beyfogle's credibility it does not succeed in discrediting it.

Kanacki

Kauziamos

May 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mmmm, canteen boots. :laughing3: What a story! Having to act the part of a bucking bronco for the children while enslaved?! This is movie gold!

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mmmm, canteen boots. :laughing3: What a story! Having to act the part of a bucking bronco for the children while enslaved?! This is movie gold!

Yes a larger than life life for most people. But his time on this planet was well lived. Perhaps indeed a good story for a movie! Better than perhaps the usual crap Hollywood seems to be shoveling out these days.

Kanacki

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a rather stern believer in John D Mitchell, and the Breyfogle mine is mentioned in both his books - but (and contrary to Mitchell) it is extremely short - only about a page-and-half. The most interesting part is that they differ. In one of them he is with two friends - the other one only one. Also - contrary to most other stories, he was tomahawked after some indians offered to show them where there was some gold to find - and he was left for dead. He eventually came to himself and managed to crawl back to the camp where he found his friend(s) killed.
Usually Mitchell gives us a lot more 'meat on the bone' ...

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
I am a rather stern believer in John D Mitchell, and the Breyfogle mine is mentioned in both his books - but (and contrary to Mitchell) it is extremely short - only about a page-and-half. The most interesting part is that they differ. In one of them he is with two friends - the other one only one. Also - contrary to most other stories, he was tomahawked after some indians offered to show them where there was some gold to find - and he was left for dead. He eventually came to himself and managed to crawl back to the camp where he found his friend(s) killed.
Usually Mitchell gives us a lot more 'meat on the bone' ...

I suspect (strongly) that Mitchell was hunting the Breyfogle personally, hence the mention about finding ore at the spring. What was Mitchell doing at that location, when there is no other lost mine or treasure in the area? At least not near by, there are many lost mines and treasures in Death Valley such as the lost Gunsight, Death Valley Scotty's mine (which probably never existed) the Golden Eagle, the lost Wagon, lost Canyon, lost Spook, etc. But not that particular area where Mitchell stated he found it.

Breyfogle is said to have had no children. Yet here we have evidence of a daughter:
USM1372_339-0571.jpg

There are several other related documents, as Breyfogle apparently neglected to insert the money for his application in the envelope and had to send a following letter to include the money, but this certainly appears that there was a wife and daughter. But really quien sabe? Hard to say at this point. And worse, supposedly Breyfogle was a blacksmith in Austin NV for years, yet he does not show up in any of the censuses taken for Austin. ???

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect (strongly) that Mitchell was hunting the Breyfogle personally, hence the mention about finding ore at the spring. What was Mitchell doing at that location, when there is no other lost mine or treasure in the area? At least not near by, there are many lost mines and treasures in Death Valley such as the lost Gunsight, Death Valley Scotty's mine (which probably never existed) the Golden Eagle, the lost Wagon, lost Canyon, lost Spook, etc. But not that particular area where Mitchell stated he found it.

Breyfogle is said to have had no children. Yet here we have evidence of a daughter:
View attachment 1796646

There are several other related documents, as Breyfogle apparently neglected to insert the money for his application in the envelope and had to send a following letter to include the money, but this certainly appears that there was a wife and daughter. But really quien sabe? Hard to say at this point. And worse, supposedly Breyfogle was a blacksmith in Austin NV for years, yet he does not show up in any of the censuses taken for Austin. ???

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Hello Oro

Nice document but unfortunately wrong Charles Beyfogle. His Full name was Charles C Beyfogle who found the mine. His middle name was Charles Clark Beyfogole. You can see the the following document of below of his de-registration from California Voter roles in 1868.

charles clark beyfogle reoved from california voters list 1868.JPG

However to confuse things the Charles Beyfogale you found from Ohio is actually Charles Clark Befogale's cousin they was related. To complicate things even further there is two more Charles Beyfogale in the family. :laughing7: Makes ones head spin.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Oro

My apologies Charles C Beyfogle had one daughter it appear but never married. His daughter Mariha? never had children.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a mention of Charles C Beyfrogle and connection to Ohio and Pennsylvania families.

what i know of beyfogle family.JPG

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an alleged sample of Gold Charles Beyfogle found in or near death valley?

gold-31.jpg

Kanacki

SnowDigger

Jan 10, 2019
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Nokta FORS CoRe
Nokta Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing to contribute except a thank you for introducing me to this legend! Very interesting!

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Ditto thank you Kanacki! I have never found a photo of Breyfogle ore.

Amen on the Breyfogle tribe - there are plenty of them! To make matters worse, it seems that Charles was not the only Breyfogle to go hunting for the lost gold.

Here is another one, the Breyfogle is found (again) and this time it is the Jumbo mine:

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85058379/1904-07-29/ed-1/seq-2/

from The Goldfield News (Goldfield, Nevada) July 29, 1904

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
The Breyfogle never existed:

default.jpg

Gold Hill daily news, March 14, 1873

Coffee anyone? (Not sock coffee for those with delicate palettes)
:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If we look at the two key points claimed Charles C Beyfogle camped in sand south of Ash Springs and after the attack and murder of his companions he eventually got to stump springs.

Here is a search perimeter between two Key known points Ash Meadows and stump springs. In theory Charles C Beyfogle alleged discovery should be in the vicinity of these two key known locations.

search area for Beyfrogole mine..JPG

Now still a very large search area. However we can narrow it down to find all the springs with in that circle search area. And but by profiling any known mines in the vicinity of these springs may help to narrow down possible sites of the alleged Beyfogle mine.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Breyfogle never existed:

default.jpg

Gold Hill daily news, March 14, 1873

Coffee anyone? (Not sock coffee for those with delicate palettes)
:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Hello Oro the coffee is going down nice.

1873 was the year Charles C Breyfogle Died. Parties followed on the Presumption that he found the gold in death Valley however his to two key landmarks are north east of Death Valley. Many people searched death valley itself no doubt came to the conclusion that his outcrop in death Valley itself did not exist. And thus mine with there was never a working mine of course never existed there either.

Death Valley at best was only a generalization of where the gold ledge was allegedly found.

You make a good point that some of his relatives may of made a search based also on that assumption of it being some where in death valley itself.

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is is interesting that there is interesting out crops in hill west of Stump springs.

panoramio-113757277.jpg

Could it be in this region in the hills called Resting Springs range.

resting springs range.jpg

We could assume with the name sake that somewhere in thing range was spring hence the name?

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an interesting story! How do you find the old newspaper clippings?

Hello Gold Chick

Just google fee historic newspapers online you get a Wikipedia site listing all the free newspapers you can search state but state country by country. If only I had what have available to us today 30 odd years ago.

Newspaper records family tree information on line. For those dogged enough might uncover a little more truth to treasure legends. While many are just legends other have a little more legs to run with.

Kanacki

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions