The Lost Breyfogle Gold Mine

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many legends ... so little treasure :D

There is also so many sides to a dice my friend. Sadly those comments tell me much.

As it is so with all treasure hunters and their mind set.

1. There are the over optimistic obsessive dreamers who will jump at anything that might be a sign. Creating huge conspiracy theories.
2. You have the egocentrics that their own ego dominates and close off anything that contradicts their own pet theory.
3. You have the Hangers on comfortable on just waiting to feed off the scraps of others hard work.
4. Then there is the ones that never take it serious just a little fun. No need for any real research involved because it is all a joke.
5. There are the ones who fail at the task, but to compensate their bruised ego afterwords write off every story off without ever putting any effort into researching them.
6, Finally there others who really try to research the truth regardless. Weigh up pros and cons and some times pull off the almost impossible.

That is the numbers of the dice of treasure hunters that congregate around such treasure legends. While I have always stated many times many such stories are legends to I am blue in the face. However there are other stories have some thing more to them. Some have indeed lead to treasure.,

This treasure legend is interesting enough to explore more further. While it may or may turn out nothing more than a legend regardless. Some times its the the journey and not the destination that is the real treasure. Each success or failure you become richer for it.

And there is an old saying besides if you want to remain poor think poor.

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is part of a Topo map

And of interest south of Ash Meadows is Resting springs Mountains the border between California and Nevada cuts through them on Northwest to South East. In the hills on the Topo map there is places marked as a Prospects. Which might be of interest as some one has later made some effort to explore for mineral wealth there. I have no data of what but interest enough its not far from springs.

prospect.JPG

Further south there is another prospect.

prospects resting springs range.JPG

However these may or may not be of any importance? But an indicator of potential mineral resources. It is not impossible Beyfogolge might of just found a small isolated pocket of quartz gold. Since an outcropping does not have a name on it? It cam never be proven one way or another even if you found it tomorrow. But that's not the point at the end of the day we are looking for a gold deposits not bragging rights to finding Breyfogle mine.

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging deeper...no pun intended :laughing7:

I found some geological reports and mining data for the Resting springs Mountains on the eastern side there was are of gold prospect and quartz. and spring known as 12 mile spring this is southwest of Stump spring. Here a basic out line of the location. It is in this triangulation of known occurrences there might be this Famous gold reef alleged by Breyfogale?

View attachment 1797183

Is it the Brefogale mine? There will always conjecture about the location? But it is in the pentameters of Brefogales alleged discovery. However with all the technology we have today with geological maps articles newspaper family diraies, Google earth and mine data. Nothing beats boots on the ground and taking ore samples.

However we will never know for sure that that is the site and perhaps one of the charms of lost mines you just never know?

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My apologies the two topographical maps of prospects are irreverent as they was not AU,

But on the eastern side there is some thing more of interest.

3 AU DEPOSITIS.JPG

The closest one is apparently a AU placer deposit in the wash. Gold must of been shredding from exposed quartz reef over millennia creating a placer deposit. Incident it is near a place known as 12 mile spring. In the hills behind is quartz reefs and gold deposits.

p3 gold shedding down hill into placer deposit..JPG

If I lived i in the region I would certain be swing a detector along the washes but make sure the site was not an active lease beforehand.

Kanacki

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is more to poor than not having the mark of the beast in one's hand, cash, or on one's forehead, credit, but what do I know???I had mentioned somewhere in the past...That IF I wanted to be rich, or a billionaire...I don't think that I'd have a problem with the knowledge I possess in my warped mind...lol...Though I am not much of a money craving individual...As long as my basic needs are met, I am content...Oh well...Time will tell...Y Si Dios Quiere...Maybe one day I might return to prospecting or treasure hunting...

Ed T

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
There is more to poor than not having the mark of the beast in one's hand, cash, or on one's forehead, credit, but what do I know???I had mentioned somewhere in the past...That IF I wanted to be rich, or a billionaire...I don't think that I'd have a problem with the knowledge I possess in my warped mind...lol...Though I am not much of a money craving individual...As long as my basic needs are met, I am content...Oh well...Time will tell...Y Si Dios Quiere...Maybe one day I might return to prospecting or treasure hunting...

Ed T

Ed it is in your blood, there is no cure, the only thing you can do is to treat the symptoms. The only known successful treatment is loading up your pack with your gear and grub, maps and tools, and heading out there until your grubstake runs out. Besides, you already have a site to return to - you only need to raise enough to get back there.

I am not attempting to debate our amigo Kanacki's theorem here, just adding more fuel to the fire.
default.jpg

To really confuse our treasure hunters, we have those other Breyfogles involved in the search, have seen Jacob, David Charles, Henry and Frank listed as "the" Breyfogle. Apparently the story really does originate further back in time than some of our modern authors have claimed as well, since this 1866 newspaper article mentions encountering Breyfogle in a quest for the lost mine:
default.jpg

More coffee? Of course the choice of beverage is yours, if I could still have alcohol it would be Tequila!
:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
The library of Congress has a rather amazing collection of newspaper archives, searchable and free online at:
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/

Be warned that the search engine is far from perfect, it does miss numerous times and all too often gives you false hits (returns) because of the way the texts were optically digitized. So don't get upset, after all it is free!

The state of Nevada also has a good archive of newspapers which are searchable free, however you must have a current library card for a library in Nevada. Unfortunately I have lost mine some years ago, but will get a new one on my next visit.
https://nsla.nv.gov/research-resources/home

California also maintains a good archive of newspaper articles, it is searchable and free - however the search engine has more glitches than the Library of Congress one so you will have more hits and misses.
https://libraries.usc.edu/databases/california-digital-newspaper-collection

You can find out if any active mining claims are in your search area by checking with the Bureau of Land Management. There was an online version but it stopped working several years ago, anyway your best bet is to check in the state BLM office as they keep the records up to date. The CA state office of BLM (US Dept of Interior) is in Sacramento, their web site is:
https://www.blm.gov/office/california-state-office

For Nevada it is in Reno, their web site is at:
https://www.blm.gov/office/nevada-state-office

Anyway it is wise to check first before going digging anywhere, claim jumpers still sometimes end up getting shot!

More to come;
:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :occasion14:

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Here is a reference to the story of Breyfogle having absconded with some public funds:

Is this the right Breyfogle? I am not at all sure.

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed it is in your blood, there is no cure, the only thing you can do is to treat the symptoms. The only known successful treatment is loading up your pack with your gear and grub, maps and tools, and heading out there until your grubstake runs out. Besides, you already have a site to return to - you only need to raise enough to get back there.

I am not attempting to debate our amigo Kanacki's theorem here, just adding more fuel to the fire.
default.jpg

To really confuse our treasure hunters, we have those other Breyfogles involved in the search, have seen Jacob, David Charles, Henry and Frank listed as "the" Breyfogle. Apparently the story really does originate further back in time than some of our modern authors have claimed as well, since this 1866 newspaper article mentions encountering Breyfogle in a quest for the lost mine:
default.jpg

More coffee? Of course the choice of beverage is yours, if I could still have alcohol it would be Tequila!

I have spoken with my kids Oro...I am not in any rush to get back on a stinking mule...lol...I could leave 3 pounds of ore to each of my children...Maybe one day they just might catch the bug and try to find the area where the ore came from...Even though none of them are interested in my stories of lost rich Spanish mining reals...To them I am a nut...I think that the area may be lost forever...I don't think I'll be going on another trip to the area...And I doubt anyone on this site will get lucky enough to make it there...But we may never know...One may always hope...

I have given up on the tequila Oro...I have given up on hard liquor in general...I will be sticking to beer and beer alone...IF some of my Mexican buddies decide to drink tequila...I just might break down and take a couple shots for friendship sake...I see it like smoking a peace pipe...hahaha...Beer is my favorite alcoholic drink nowadays...I learned this after giving away my little Tia Juana...IF I had only been drinking beer on that fateful day...I would probably be a rich man today...Oh well...I don't believe it is too bad being poor...

Ed T

Last edited:

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a reference to the story of Breyfogle having absconded with some public funds:

Is this the right Breyfogle? I am not at all sure.

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

I am pretty sure that Kanacki had mentioned this in one of his posts earlier...

Ed T

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

default.jpg

default.jpg

Hello Oro

No offence taken as I am totally enjoying your posts. Every bit you or anyone else contribute may prove or disprove certain parts in which it is all part of the process. Theory I hypothesized whiled based on geological family information old newspapers and records it is fluid as more information comes in.

As with the claims of Breyfogle involved in stealing public fund it was proven baseless. and yes you found the right Breyfogle.

Most interesting is the 1866 newspaper story. Because it really helps narrow down events. well done.!!!!!

I found a reference joined the 9th Union Army in 1863. The event of him crossing death valley region was some time in 1862. So trying to find a gold reef nearly 3 years after being lost in as hot desert captured by Indians, almost dying of thirst it would be easy to forget exact details would it not?

So for account of him and others trying to search in 1866 makes it clear at least Charles Clark Breyfogle believed at least their was a lost gold reef out there. The 3 years previous he was unable because he had joined the union army. So I think you have found a good find.

Kanacki

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Trying to pin down exactly WHEN Breyfogle first discovered the mine is a bit tricky. This article seems to suggest that it was already lost and being actively searched for in 1863: search for breyfogle 1866 fifth one in last three years.jpg

I could not find any record of Breyfogle arriving in CA by ship, so it appears (underline that term) that part of the Breyfogle saga which says he crossed with a wagon train in the 1850s is likely correct. Also that he was there at at early date is supported by a place being named Bryfogles Flat, mentioned in at least two newspaper articles dating to 1854 in CA. So it appears (there is that iffy term again) that he was one of the early '49ers and was certainly a prospector at an early date.

Please do continue;

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
This source claims Breyfogle was named Louis Jacob Breyfogle:

content

Source
Death Valley National Monument: Historical Background Study
By Benjamin Levy pp 51

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Yet another version (of many)

content

from Mining and Scientific Press volume 93, December 29, 1906 pp 783

I definitely need more coffee! :coffee:
:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello if we looked further to the north west of ash Meadows 40 odd miles in a straight line as the Crow flies.

We have significant gold deposit that was worked at Rhyolite . The map below show significant gold mines in 1905 Bull frog Gold mine. The Denver Gold mine. The Gibraltar Gold mine. The National Bank gold mine. Montgomery Shoenose Gold mine.

Bullfrog_Special_Map_1906.jpg

Could it have been possible Charles C Breydogle stumbled into an exposed gold reef in this area? Around late 1862. This was in the next valley east of Death valley. Could he in his confusion from his hardships thought the valley he found the gold reef was death valley?

Another point there is very little gold deposits in Death valley but thousands of mine shafts most are connected to Calcite mining and Borax Boom of the 1880's nick named the white gold rush. So the plausibility of finding gold in Death valley itself was rather slim. However the next valley east Amagosa Valley.

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This source claims Breyfogle was named Louis Jacob Breyfogle:

content

Source
Death Valley National Monument: Historical Background Study
By Benjamin Levy pp 51

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

While it true all these sources we have found have some sort of small errors in them. One thing I found interesting is the assumption the Breyfogle mine was the Gunsight mine. or other nearby.

In the following picture below is of the bullfrog mine.

If you look at the horizon you see two twin peaks like gun site? Is the gunsight mine now called the Bullfrog mine?

bullfrog mine.jpg

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Oro

The ghost town Rhyolite was surround by gold mines perhaps Breyfogle stumbled on to an exposed outcrop? And later was rediscovered and mined in early part of the 20th century?

Montgomery-Shoshone_mine_panorama_full_size.png

Perhaps the exact site has been totally mined out. Years later 3 companies in the later half of 20th century operated 3 open cuts,

Coffee?

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is also to note Some suspect the Keane Wonder Mine dis covered in 1904 was actually the site of Charles C Breyfogale discovered in 1862?

In the deserts of California, deep within the notorious Death Valley, two men got their big break. One was a miner named Jack Keane and the other was a one-eyed butcher named Domingo Etcharren.

After an unrewarding search for silver on one particular ledge, the men decided to move forward. Little did they know that luck was waiting for them just a tad further. The story has it that, in 1904, Keane managed to discover gold just outside his working camp completely by accident even though he was searching for silver. Despite his initial intentions, he not only discovered gold but large quantities of it. He was bewildered and couldn’t believe his luck as he had been searching in vain for silver for the past eight years. Without much hesitation, he named the camp “Keane Wonder Mine.”

The camp that Keane and Etcharren established was high up on the Funeral Mountains. Getting there required both time and stamina. People had been coming to these parts from as early as 1860, though in small numbers. However, once gold had been discovered, a rush soon followed. Keane wasn’t the only prospector in the area; many others came too in search of their big break and established their own mines.

One year later in 1905, after gathering the necessary funds from an investor, Jack started mining. However, the remoteness of the mine proved to be difficult. The closest town was the town of Ballarat and that was 70 miles further away across the Death Valley – not your average walk and not a pleasant area to simply stroll through. That same year, the investor decided to withdraw; but the surface ore was of a high grade, and this saved Keane and Etcharren from oblivion.

For one full year, the Wonder mine kept pushing. In the summer of 1906, a new investor came and the duo sold the mine to him. His name was Homer Wilson, and he was a miner from the Mother Lode Mines.

Wilson took things seriously even though the Wall Street stock market crashed in 1907 causing panic for three weeks. It fell 50% and the occurrence was dubbed the “Knickerbocker Crisis.” He and his whole family moved closer to the mine. The riches from the mine attracted other people to the area, and soon two towns were born: Chloride City and Keane Springs.

The first investments were the construction of an aerial tram and a stamp mill. By the end of 1907, both the tram and the mill were finished. From that point on, profits from the Wonder Mine skyrocketed, although things started to go downhill for Keane.

Not long after, he was taken to a jailhouse in Ireland after he was found guilty of a murder. Etcharren, on the other hand, led a happy life and opened up a store. Two camps were erected around the mine – the mill camp and the mine camp. The mill camp was where the miners lived and provided a little protection against the extreme heat of the day. It also had a store and a post office. The mine camp had a boarding house and stood a mile away from the mine.

The Keane Wonder Mine was closed forever in 1916. Up until that point, it had generated $1,100,000-worth of gold.

keane wonder mine 9.jpg

keane wondermine 6.JPG

Kanacki

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread