The Lost Playground

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
My son and I Geocache from time to time and we discovered one in our neighborhood not long ago. The development we live in was built in the early 1980’s, and up until about fifteen years ago there was a hidden playground in the woods, across this great little footbridge. All that remains is a small clearing and some old wooden barriers that used to outline the various play areas.

I spent about 2 1/2 hours hitting the clearing and access trail, and found a bunch of clad ranging from 1966 to 1998, including: 1Q, 2D, 2N, and 13P, as well as a few 12 gauge ends and a piece of one of the old swings (along with a bunch of nails, pull tabs, and foil). One of the pennies was actually a birth year for me, so that was cool.

A0A12ACD-6720-4B3E-A259-104F57729446.jpeg

Mostly, it was just getting to know the Nox a bit better, and I really learned a lot about what she has to say. I have to say that quarter signal was a heart stopper; high, crisp, and no question that’s what I was going to find. I was also impressed with how she read the nickels; while they did look pretty much the same as a pull tab on the VDI, the tone was noticeable (I’m running in Park 2/50 tone) and certainly caught my attention.

I’m finding the trash, while still pretty solid, gives more of a “warbling” sound than a coin, and I’m very comfortable with my pinpointing now. On the Nox it will be right under the logo on the coil (circles in green) and as you pull back it will be not actually at the edge, but just back a bit (at the red X).

E6007281-A4A4-4CF7-815B-F86AC7590B39.jpeg

All in all I couldn’t ask for a much better day: clear, low 70’s, I learned a bunch and pocketed some change in the process. The area was mixed sandy and clay, so digging was a breeze, and it was nice to look back and barely be able to tell that I had been there.

Happy hunting, everyone!

Upvote 9

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm interesting...My Equinox pinpoints right under the coil nut. Dead center of the coil. Have you tried using the pinpoint button to confirm this?

OP
OP
KevGA

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
Yup. That’s how I’ve been pinpointing. I was digging about a six inch plug centered around that spot and all my coins were smack dab in the middle today. I will say that the trash was generally on the back edge of the hole, which would coincide with the nut as you described.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2