pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is a growing trend to let them live and.let prosper/feed for many.
Yet the old school of learning is the kill at first sight.
The lonely lonely life of a dandelion.
20210510_103946.jpg

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Dandelion is probably one of the most common and recognisable varieties of edible weeds and it's also very versatile. The yellow petals from the dandelion flower and the leaves can be eaten in salad, and the leaves can also be cooked and eaten like spinach. Many years ago , I made an awesome dandelion wine from the flowers. Whenever I see them, I always grab a mouth full of the greens. Very good for you. Just make sure someones dog hasn't been there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The new push is "No Mow May" Basically not to mow the spring flowers down till June here. Need to help the pollinators at least the ones that are left.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dandelion is probably one of the most common and recognisable varieties of edible weeds and it's also very versatile. The yellow petals from the dandelion flower and the leaves can be eaten in salad, and the leaves can also be cooked and eaten like spinach. Many years ago , I made an awesome dandelion wine from the flowers. Whenever I see them, I always grab a mouth full of the greens. Very good for you. Just make sure someones dog hasn't been there.

Under-rated by many-over rated by the "Perfect Lawn Curb Appeal" toted by the chemical/weed companies.
I really love the sea of yellow in a field/lawn, buzzing with bees.
Like you said, grab a handful and munch away.
Out detecting I have often done the foraging to take the hunger off.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like dandelions,I,m not a lawn guy and detest mowing,doing so only at the behest of the powers that be who threaten to fine me if I don,t.I got nothing against folks who adore their lawns but that,s not for me,so long live the dandelion!!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grandpa who was born in 1891 and a first class health advocate made tea and also put the leaves in his salad and told me of the wine he'd make of these abundant yellow flowers. He was a man who had not but what ever work he could find at the time of the great depression, so he would tell me much about how to get along with not much more than a cane pole and a 22 rifle. My sister mentioned to me at my mother's funeral of how upset she would be as a little girl when grandpa and I would be gutting poor little cotton tails out back after I'd go fetch a few.

Dandelion tea is an excellent source of potassium, a mineral and electrolyte that stimulates the heartbeat. Potassium may help the kidney filter toxins more effectively and improve blood flow. The polysaccharides in dandelion are known to reduce stress on the liver and support its ability to produce bile.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful picture,I will have to try them someday in a salad,,some years we may only have a few and this year there are many

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm delighted to see them picking up in the back yard.
Have made wine of them. As a kid a man used to pay a whopping 25 cents for a full paper grocery bag of prime blossoms. Big money!!!
Have cooked up batches of young leaves as a spring ritual. (Have not this year....)
Have indulged in cookies with blossoms in them.
Have not dried roots to cut coffee with ,yet.

They beat the sand out back for edibility. Sand drains so that's good, but dogs wore the thin sod out.

Plantain I enjoy too. Even to the point of spreading it's seed.
My taco greens are often young plantain leaves.
Another nutrition based weed introduced.. But they hold thier ground well in the sand too.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tea and wine. 2 of the forgotten elixirs from dandelions.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm delighted to see them picking up in the back yard.
Have made wine of them. As a kid a man used to pay a whopping 25 cents for a full paper grocery bag of prime blossoms. Big money!!!
Have cooked up batches of young leaves as a spring ritual. (Have not this year....)
Have indulged in cookies with blossoms in them.
Have not dried roots to cut coffee with ,yet.

They beat the sand out back for edibility. Sand drains so that's good, but dogs wore the thin sod out.

Plantain I enjoy too. Even to the point of spreading it's seed.
My taco greens are often young plantain leaves.
Another nutrition based weed introduced.. But they hold thier ground well in the sand too.
Yes my side lawn is always green, I always say my yard is a plantation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions