What's new

A big toad!

Jatrox

Full Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2024
Messages
103
Reaction score
362
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kansas
Along with my many other hobbies, Herpetology is probably my oldest (well, maybe playing music is my oldest). I've chased snakes, lizards and amphibians as long as I can remember, same goes for playing drumz (my Dad is a drummer).

This is Fatty Boombalaty, a Woodhouse toad my wife coaxed into our yard when we moved into our place 4 1/2 years ago. It was a bare field being built into a community and the toad was confused as to what was happening to the nice field it used to live in. My wife gave it peace, and the toad showed gratitude for the first couple years, coming around to say "hello", eat a worm out of our hand and very much liked to hang on the back patio and listen to our music with us, even when I made futile attempts to play guitar along with the music. It seemed to love it and even hopped towards me playing guitar (I wouldn't... HA!). Nature is what nature is. We hadn't seen it in the last year and worried that it might have perished. Good news tonight, she came back! My wife loves it, feeds it worms, and we take special care that it has everything it needs to survive. And it's about as big as a Woodhouse toad gets in the wild. So it's living it's best life
 

Attachments

  • FB1.webp
    FB1.webp
    71.2 KB · Views: 139
  • FB2.webp
    FB2.webp
    88.6 KB · Views: 102
  • FB3.webp
    FB3.webp
    87.9 KB · Views: 110
Along with my many other hobbies, Herpetology is probably my oldest (well, maybe playing music is my oldest). I've chased snakes, lizards and amphibians as long as I can remember, same goes for playing drumz (my Dad is a drummer).

This is Fatty Boombalaty, a Woodhouse toad my wife coaxed into our yard when we moved into our place 4 1/2 years ago. It was a bare field being built into a community and the toad was confused as to what was happening to the nice field it used to live in. My wife gave it peace, and the toad showed gratitude for the first couple years, coming around to say "hello", eat a worm out of our hand and very much liked to hang on the back patio and listen to our music with us, even when I made futile attempts to play guitar along with the music. It seemed to love it and even hopped towards me playing guitar (I wouldn't... HA!). Nature is what nature is. We hadn't seen it in the last year and worried that it might have perished. Good news tonight, she came back! My wife loves it, feeds it worms, and we take special care that it has everything it needs to survive. And it's about as big as a Woodhouse toad gets in the wild. So it's living it's best life
That's a big old toad for sure.

We have a big guy that sit on the steps at night eating its dinner of bugs.
Our dog stops, gives it a sniff, and carries on.
I have a toad house under the Hostas plant.
 
Very cool Jatrox. One of my sons' big hobbies, since he was old enough to walk pretty much. He's done a lot in that field, and has credit on a research study published in 'Herpetologica' (sp?) along with a former sometime member of the Grateful Dead.
 
Very cool Jatrox. One of my sons' big hobbies, since he was old enough to walk pretty much. He's done a lot in that field, and has credit on a research study published in 'Herpetologica' (sp?) along with a former sometime member of the Grateful Dead.
That's awesome! Good for him. There are a handful of publications out there with pics of herps I've caught, one was even on the ESL but I wasn't aware of that until after the photo shoot. lol
 
We always ❤️ seeing the different ones around the yard. This bigger one has taken up residence around the steps and the outside tap.

20250912_175049.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom