The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll guess they locked the gate. I would suggest these, better than American Express, don't leave home without them
Yep, the gate was locked. We discussed ways around it, but the BLM "Ranger" lives right there at the gate. Familyhunter decided to walk down to McCabe Flats for some exploring. So, I decided to head back home.

In any case, I read that the 'shut-down' might be over Thursday. We'll see.

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Still searching for the right one
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for the well wishes! Yep, I'm doing well. Just wondering when you'll have some time to go out with me and see how this dry-washer works. (lol) Just a quick update; I just returned from Briceburg. If anyone had planned on going down-river, give them up, (unless you entend to walk). The river is closed at Briceburg until the Gov. "Shut Down" is over.

The gates locked! Heaven forbid people go to the river without government supervision. We have lost all are rights. The only thing we have left is what the government says we have. Sad.

Now about that dry washer I got 2 awesome maybe 3 spots in mind. Let's plan a trip to try it out before anymore rain comes.

Btw sniping is the most addicting form of prospecting I have ever done. It's one thing to see gold in the pan. It's another thing to see it sitting on the bedrock. All the gold I found sniping which wasn't much was In very very rusty Claude up dirt right on the bedrock. Oh what pretty sight.

Last edited:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Charles
Go to Ace Hardware and get a bottle of Wink, rust remover, will fix that right up

familyhunter

Oct 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle the walk sucked 4.5 miles total and I couldnt make the road I was looking for so we walked back the only excitement of the whole trip was a girl skinny dipping I guess she thought no one else would be walking that far in boy was she wrong so next time I come up in the near future I will be bringing my bolt cutters and will be driving through the gate whats the difference if we can walk in why cant we drive that makes no sence so I will be seein you soon my friend had fun talking with you anyways.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past Tuesday, I was visiting Dials Rock Shop on highway 140, about 5 miles before Mariposa, when I spotted this critter in the grass on the other side of 140. First time I've seen a cougar in the middle of the day, (2pm) so close to human habitats. You'll probably have to enlarge it all the way, since my camera was acting up with the telephoto lense. He's right at the base of the large oak tree;

Attachments

• P1010005b.JPG
    P1010005b.JPG
    798 KB · Views: 304

angelus2k5

Mar 12, 2013
San Bernardino
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past Tuesday, I was visiting Dials Rock Shop on highway 140, about 5 miles before Mariposa, when I spotted this critter in the grass on the other side of 140. First time I've seen a cougar in the middle of the day, (2pm) so close to human habitats. You'll probably have to enlarge it all the way, since my camera was acting up with the telephoto lense. He's right at the base of the large oak tree;

I though my cat was missing for a while.

ForumRunner_20131018_130501.png

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice pic of the cats. I'd bet the cougar was sick. Seems odd to be out at 2pm. Then of course with the full moon. Who knows what that guys thinking?

leenie

Dec 30, 2006
Northwest Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro xp dues
the only cougars I see in northwest Indiana have on blue jean skirts low cut tops and cowboy boots. I think yours are safer to be around. very nice to see bits of California and hear about the gold. thanks for the pictures dave

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pic of the cats. I'd bet the cougar was sick. Seems odd to be out at 2pm. Then of course with the full moon. Who knows what that guys thinking?
the only cougars I see in northwest Indiana have on blue jean skirts low cut tops and cowboy boots. I think yours are safer to be around. very nice to see bits of California and hear about the gold. thanks for the pictures dave​
I did a little reading in Wikipedia and this isn't the most reassuring thing they have to say about them:

Preceding attacks on humans, cougars display aberrant behavior, such as activity during daylight hours, a lack of fear of humans, and stalking humans.

The only behavior this cougar did not display was stalking humans. (Or was it??) (lol)

You're welcome Dave!! Glad you enjoyed them.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well at least cougars are not as common as mountain lions in AZ. Lol. Southern yes. Even heard a report of a panther down there.
Story I heard was that circuses would let loose older animals (loins, tigers and such) into the mountain ranges there. Actually had a buddy of mine shoot a leopard trying for mountain lions to help out a rancher. G&F showed up as he was loading the animal. Warden asked for his gun and arrested him. He was told that he shot a leopard. He couldn't tell, until you looked "real" close. Spots were that faded.
I'm sure if he would've taken some time to verify parts of it he might not have shot it, but when you're hunting a known area for mountain lion attacks, that would be the last thing you'd think you'd see. Lol. I think finding that leopard would be like stumbling across a dodo bird.

Mayor

Apr 3, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well at least cougars are not as common as mountain lions in AZ. Lol. Southern yes. Even heard a report of a panther down there.
Story I heard was that circuses would let loose older animals (loins, tigers and such) into the mountain ranges there. Actually had a buddy of mine shoot a leopard trying for mountain lions to help out a rancher. G&F showed up as he was loading the animal. Warden asked for his gun and arrested him. He was told that he shot a leopard. He couldn't tell, until you looked "real" close. Spots were that faded.
I'm sure if he would've taken some time to verify parts of it he might not have shot it, but when you're hunting a known area for mountain lion attacks, that would be the last thing you'd think you'd see. Lol. I think finding that leopard would be like stumbling across a dodo bird.

No it isn't, Washington DC is full of dodo birds! Hundreds and hundreds of them.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eagle
Just took a pic of some ore my grandfather got out of a mine many, many years ago. Can you tell me by the pic which mineral this is?
It's quite impressive. 8" long and about 4" at widest point.
My moms got this specimen and is wondering what to do with it. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image-254215177.jpg
    image-254215177.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 147
  • image-2729137408.jpg
    image-2729137408.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 132
  • image-2380804510.jpg
    image-2380804510.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 153
  • image-3672886963.jpg
    image-3672886963.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 130

rlucasm

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle
Just took a pic of some ore my grandfather got out of a mine many, many years ago. Can you tell me by the pic which mineral this is?
It's quite impressive. 8" long and about 4" at widest point.
My moms got this specimen and is wondering what to do with it. Any suggestions?

I'm not Mr. Eagle but I am majoring in geology and I'll take a stab at it. It's hard to tell from pictures, but if it's got a metallic sheen to it, my guess is that it could be chalcopyrite. You'd have to rub it against some unglazed porcelean and see it it leaves a greenish grey color.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not Mr. Eagle but I am majoring in geology and I'll take a stab at it. It's hard to tell from pictures, but if it's got a metallic sheen to it, my guess is that it could be chalcopyrite. You'd have to rub it against some unglazed porcelean and see it it leaves a greenish grey color.
You're probably right. Unfortunately, with the way it blends in with the mottled background, I haven't a clue. From the colorization, my first thought was that it came from a copper mine. But then, I think chalcopyrite can be associated with a lot of minerals. And, that's about the extent of my guessing without a hands-on visual inspection. (lol)

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm, No comments/questions??

Kinda makes me wonder if anyone wants to read about more of my experiences.

I still have more, i.e.; My research on:
The "Mariposa $50 gold slugs".
An old mine with very visible gold in-situ.
My trip into the King Solomon.
A Civil War cache in (near) Mariposa.
A creek with "pickers" showing, after every rain.

And more.........

Eagle

Hello Sir EagleDown!

While its now 2013 I know it's late to be replying in this thread I can't help but stop reading this long enough to tell you how much I have been enjoying reading every one of your posts in this thread! Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with us!

I am fairly new to Tnet and was lucky enough to find this thread! Your writing is so well done that it makes me want to go visit this area just to get a feel of its history! I have a friend that is familiar with the area and one day plan to take a little road trip with him there. It's sad that things change so much with time or "progress" in that things can never be the way they once were. Just reading about your experiences and old Pete makes me think back to the good days I would sit and listen to my granddad and my dad sharing their experiences with me while I sat listening bound by fastination and awe!!! I miss those days now. Thank you so much for sharing yours! I've been reading this for days now! I hope your are well and keep posting!

Thanks!

Don

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep. It's copper. Even without putting your hands on it. At the base it's got the petina to it. In the middle part it shines like a copper penny.
Any idea what she should/could do with this specimen?

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Sir EagleDown!

While its now 2013 I know it's late to be replying in this thread I can't help but stop reading this long enough to tell you how much I have been enjoying reading every one of your posts in this thread! Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with us!

I am fairly new to Tnet and was lucky enough to find this thread! Your writing is so well done that it makes me want to go visit this area just to get a feel of its history! I have a friend that is familiar with the area and one day plan to take a little road trip with him there. It's sad that things change so much with time or "progress" in that things can never be the way they once were. Just reading about your experiences and old Pete makes me think back to the good days I would sit and listen to my granddad and my dad sharing their experiences with me while I sat listening bound by fastination and awe!!! I miss those days now. Thank you so much for sharing yours! I've been reading this for days now! I hope your are well and keep posting!

Thanks!

Don
(lol) It seems it's never too late to reply to this thread. (lol) Thanks for your post my Friend! I've been out prospecting all this week, so I'm rather late on replying to questions. I was out in an area yesterday, that was like no place I've ever seen, (geologically speaking) Actually, it's like a geologists nightmare. So many different types of materials; Serpitine, sedimentary, metamorphic, granitic, etc. It is such a mix, I can't help but wonder what went on there hundreds of thousands of years ago. Come to think of it, the only things I didn't find was obsidian or basalt. (lol)

Anyway, thanks again for your post! And welcome to Tnet and our thread!

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. It's copper. Even without putting your hands on it. At the base it's got the petina to it. In the middle part it shines like a copper penny.
Any idea what she should/could do with this specimen?
Hmm, good question. Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer. About the only thing I could think of would be to take it to a place that sells rocks and minerals and see if they would make an offer for it. If you took it to a museum, and if they were interested in it, not only would they want to know what mine, and the area it came from, but they would probably want you to donate (or loan) it to them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread