P

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Eyes, ears and common sense
mrs.oroblanco said:
Just had to put my two cents in.

On the Terrazas family, and the "great escape". An interesting read, I think, and maybe a little more information on the outcome and how gold might have gotten to where it ended up.

Note this excerpt (LuisTerrazas II speaking) "No hearing before any court was given me. I was not told the reason for my arrest. In truth, I do not know to this day why I was tortured as I was, except that my father was wealthy and I was the tool or extorting money from him"

From this article:

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9C04E4DD103FE233A25753C1A9679C946796D6CF

B

Mrs Oro, did you know he died shortly afterward, in a grocery store in LA. It would seem the whole family felt safer in the States. I doubt they left Mexico without a good portion of their wealth. What do you think?

VICTIM OF VILLA FALLS DEAD IN LOCAL GROCERY.

Los Angeles Times .
Date: Mar 17, 1917 Page: II3

COLLAPSING suddenly as he waited for the delivery of a few
groceries ordered at the small store at Sixteenth street and Harvard boulevard, Luis Terrazas, Jr., one of the most picturesque figures in the recent history of Mexcio, died of heart failure yesterday afternoon before medical assistance could be obtained.

NEWYORK TIMES June 16, 1923

Page 11

ONCE CATTLE KING; Mexican Patriot Lost $40,000,000 in the Villa Revolution.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI peeps, did you notice that my bestest buddy Peerles only had "ONE" cup of coffee? just for himself? sniff cheap skate . Here are some for everyone. The best Oro, used sock with holes, coffee. Beth was busy sooo-- snifff.
-\_ :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:?

for all, even that cheapskate Peerless. :-* :-* ( I put it on the searching for Villas hidden gold, expense account)

Don Jose de La Mancha

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering that he (the son) was tortured, etc. because they knew his father was wealthy, and some $500,000 was wanted, I have to lean heavily towards the belief that his wealth (gold & silver) was brought with him - if not all, then at least a goodly part of it. (obviously he had enough money (known wealth) to cause a "kidnapping" of his son.

B

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Seasons greetings amigos,

Peerless wrote:
Hmm theres even a mining claim called OROBLANCO, Mr and Mrs Oro???

Pure coincidence amigo – the nickname came from a series of prospecting trips to the Oroblanco mining district in AZ, which was our favorite for some time. (As nicknames go, it was the least offensive-sounding for public use where children are present!)

Peerless also wrote:
Oro, I would be interested to hear your take on VP, do you think Noss found a cache in VP or do you suspect he used it as a cover story for the items he did have in his possesion?

I am among the “believers” who think Doc Noss was telling the truth about the cave and treasures. His story of finding the cave quite by accident while hunting has the ‘ring of truth’ to me, and the subsequent actions and activities of the Noss’es, filing claim, hiring a blaster, etc would be inexplicable if there really was nothing in Victorio Peak. The items in possession of Noss then would be solid evidence of what was still in the caves. The fact that several people have come forward in the decades since, claiming to have not only witnessed the stacks of gold bars etc but also to have participated in removing same, convince me that there was in fact a great treasure in VP, and that the US government (or possibly some ‘rogue’ elements within it) have already extracted it and it is GONE. One look at the huge amount of disturbance done by the govt on and around VP will tell even the skeptic that even if there were nothing ever in the mountain, some one certainly expended a LOT of time and resources tearing up the ground there looking for it.

Don Jose de La Mancha wrote:
HI peeps, did you notice that my bestest buddy Peerles only had "ONE" cup of coffee? just for himself? sniff cheap skate . Here are some for everyone. The best Oro, best used, sock, with holes, coffee. Beth was busy sooo-- snifff.

Don't you like your coffee with a little "bite" to it? ??? :icon_scratch: :coffee: :laughing7: It is always better if you don't know the particulars about the making of the coffee, puts a little "mystery" in your mug! :icon_pale: Just remember to chew the crunchy bits, and think "it must be the eggshells"...... :tongue3: :tard: :thumbsup:
:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

I bet you would love my recipe for campfire-baked mac-n-cheese! Real "wild" flavor and texture, best eaten while it is very dark at night! :tongue3: :thumbsup: (And without ever looking at it...)

Oroblanco

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On that mac 'n cheese thing - if you have leftovers that you plan to eat for breakfast - don't open the lid and look at it.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

B

OP
OP
P

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
With regard to the mac n cheese, I think I would rather eat the sock the coffee was made in ;D

Mrs Oro, I have always believed that they (the Terrazas) bought with them the majority of their wealth as far as cash and gold goes. It would be nice to know how they stored or banked it.

Oro I dont know enough about the VP story to really make a qualified statement, I have used only the material availiable on the net to learn about the events surrounding it. But I will say I personally dont think he told the whole truth, I do however believe that he had certain items in his possesion which he claimed he found at VP.
Problem with most treasure legends, they seldom involve upstanding pillars of the community, which only makes the hunters job all the harder.

Now if you'll excuse me I have a sock to go eat, and heres hoping its not one of RDTs after a long hike :o

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering the amount of wealth he had - and the banks he owned (among other things), I do believe that the many businesses were, at least partly, a front. (a little money laundering, here and there). You know, its not hard to "have friends" when you can pay them well. And, there is no reason why someone couldn't put their own assets in their own banks, and make more money loaning it out as "bank loans", and collecting MORE land and wealth if someone defaulted. He did ended up owning upteen thousand acres).

I'm sure that is probably more involved than that, but, I do believe that he could, and did, some of the very same things we see today with smuggled items.

Its easy to hide money in land, in cattle, in banks (all which he did AFTER he came to the US - and why I do believe he came to the US with most of his money intact).

B

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peerless: you said-->

Now if you'll excuse me I have a sock to go eat, and heres hoping its not one of RDTs after a long hike
~~~~~~~~~

I will have you know that I use huarachis, no socks are involved, just long, dirty toe naiis before the spring clipping.

Don Jose de aL Mancha .

P.S hi mi luv BETH, ok, hi oro.

OP
OP
P

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
:icon_study:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 553
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 566
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 547

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary,

What is the status of the descendants of Luis Terrazas. Are they yet living
in America? Is their holdings large, in land, stock etc. now.
I agree, that it would be a giving. That he did bring a large portion
of his wealth with him. When he came here.

Clayton

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all know the story of the Stone Ranch treasure in Oklahoma. But, do we know
what the markers mean?

Well here is what I think the rock markers mean: The marker to the North East is the
head of a ram or Aries, the first sign of the zodiac, Aries was a navigational star.
It reaches it's hightest point above the horizon in December.

The two V shaped markers represent the point of a triangle.

The Roman numeral XI has a couple of meanings. The most important is the time of day, or
should I say the time of night. This is the distant to the Ram ( the marker to the North East ) approx.

Also it marks the corner of the right triangle formed by the V shaped markers.

The markers are elaborate way to mark an " X " on the ground. In other words X marks the spot.

To make it work, Stand on the Roman numeral eleven at eleven O' Clock at night in December.
And look to the North East for the Navigational Star Aries.

Happy hunting, rem. me when you find it.....Clayton ;D

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beth, you posted -->

if you have leftovers that you plan to eat for breakfast - don't open the lid and look at it.
~~~~~~~~~~~
That reminds me of my -passed away - friend that was on a treasure hunting trip in "July" south of here. . He made a pot of stew the first day, then for the next two weeks, merely added to it. He made it in a large double handled pressure cooker, the type with a band..

When he stopped by the house, he told me just how good it was, but that the Indians were certainly picky an spoiled today, they don't want any of it after the third day?? since the Indians in that part of the country will eat alongside of a buzzard, I was curious and asked him to tell me more about it. "heck" he said, "I can show you, I still have some in the pot in the car".

We went outside and he opened the trunk. There was an old fashioned two gallon commercial pressure pot still sealed ?? he started to open it, when he loosened the band the pot commenced to whistle and poof venting the pressure with damnedest odor that I have ever smelled or imagined, with the possible exception of "ORO'S" socks, pore BETH.

Remember, this was in July when the average temp ran 100 105. F. He had been using the same meat and misc basics for two weeks with no refrigeration?? As we were dumping it out, he sheepishly mentioned "well it DID taste good"??? Tell me how did this elderly gentleman survive that ? he was 75 at the time?

Normally he was very formal and strict, always wore a tie etc even while out in the field. especially at dinner time. and sported a Kaiser Wilhelm mustache which he kept meticulously trimmed.

Sheeesh Even ORO"s crunchy goodies would be preferable - I think?.

Don Jose de La Mancha

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry your friend has passed - but THAT is funny!!!

It reminds me of a "friend" of Roy's and mine. His name is Steve. (I use the word friend, rather loosely, but he did always seem to be where we were).

That man has a cast iron stomach. (some people can eat anything without getting sick - without feeling sick, I should say, as his exhaust made quite a few of us sick many times, as did just the thought of some of the things he ate).

He got a deer one year (a particularly WARM year), and drove around with it on his car for about 2 weeks - he was proud of that deer. He finally had it butchered, and made it all into hamburger, which he promptly stuck in the bottom of his refrigerator - loose and unwrapped, mind you, and when he would go in the 'fridge", he would grab a handful of uncooked meat and pop it in his mouth. yuuuucckkk! It was already smelling like road kill when he ground it up, so you can imagine.

My ex-sister-in law was a horrendous cook, and quite frequently, her "cuisine" was not eaten by those it was intended for - also, it usually took a week or two to get it from off the stove into the garbage. Such was the case with some left over chicken which she had boiled in milk, I think, sat on the stove for a week until the maggots found it, and then deposited in the trash. Steve came in and said - OH, chicken - can I have it? Before we could say - but Steve - it's in the garbage can and it has maggots, he snatched it up and scarfed it down, with a "yum".

WE got sick watching - but nothing happened to him - he was ALWAYS doing stuff like that. (except that he always had exhaust coming from both ends).

Both Roy & I could tell you dozens of stories like that about him. It doesn't even sound possible, but, like I said, some people just have cast iron stomachs. (at least all our mac and cheese had was some leaves and a few moths - crunchies!)

B

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Seasons greetings amigos,

Don Jose' de la Mancha wrote:
hi Beth hehehehehehe good one , enjoyed it very much, especially since I had some friends like that, but is Oro like that? No wonder they ran him out of Oro valley.

Hmm well I have eaten roadkill, cardboard, plastic, and an ant-infested Twinkie, but I can assure you that such fare is not my personal appetite. The cardboard (attached to pizza) and plastic (melted into cheese) were quite by accident, the Twinkie was a case of not noticing until too late (it came from one of those infernal vending machines) and you probably know only too well how a fellow's alimentary preferences can be lowered, especially about the third or fourth week living in the tall tules. How does that old saying go? "Hunger is the best sauce" Still, even if starving I could never bring myself to eat some of the things our friend Steve would wolf down, like the mouldy chicken straight out of the garbage! :icon_pale: I would imagine that he would have gotten along great with your friend and the two-week-old extra-pungent "stew"! :wink:

This talk of food reminds me of the problem of selecting foods for extended camping - your choices are pretty wide for staying out a couple of weeks but beyond that - without refrigeration, having to keep weight to a minimum etc the choices get pretty limited. I've even studied some of the packing lists used by Klondykers and outposts of the old Hudson's Bay company for ideas. Dried stuff in bulk is an economical choice, here is one place that seems to have a good selection: http://www.bulkfoods.com/products.asp
finally found a place to get powdered eggs, and can make clarified butter, jerky, etc at home. (Getting ideas again...) >:D

Even though this thread has pretty wide constraints, sorry for drifting so far off-topic amigos.
Oroblanco

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheesh ORO: Food and Broads are always popular and accepted subjects, politics no ! Try meat substitutes like soy , works nicely, so does prepared Tortilla flour. However, nothing substitutes for Tea, coffee, or Broads, of course you being a baaa baaa keeper -------.???

Don Jose, the Saint from La Mancha n :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
Oroblanco said:
finally found a place to get powdered eggs, and can make clarified butter, jerky, etc at home. (Getting ideas again...) >:D

Even though this thread has pretty wide constraints, sorry for drifting so far off-topic amigos.
Oroblanco

Hello all and Seasons Greetings
I think this thread was launched with the idea that drifting
off topic was incouraged :D

Oro, you are knowledgable in so many legends, can you guide me to any websites
or other sources where I might learn more about the Ezra Kind story/legend?
I have read all I can find by googling "Ezra Kind"
Him and his party of seven supposedly had all the gold they could carry when
indians attacked and killed them in 1834 somewhere around Spearfish.
Ezra, being the last surviving member at the time,
supposedly carved the "Thoen Stone", later found on Lookout Mountain in 1887.

The stone read...
"Come to these hills in 1833 -- 7 of us -- Delacompt -- Ezra Kind -- G.W. Wood -- T. Brown -- R. Kent -- Wm. King -- Indian Crow -- all dead but me, Ezra Kind -- killed by Indians beyond the high hill -- Got our gold. June 1834 -- Got all the gold we could carry -- our ponies all got by the Indians -- I have lost my gun and nothing to eat and -- Indians hunting me."

None of these men where ever heard from again so the story goes.
A friend of mine made a find this fall before freeze up that may be evidence
that the legend is true. No gold but it is dated 1834 and was 2 feet underground
when found. I can't elaborate anymore on what was found until I see it.
Just wondering if anyone has any info or direction they could point me
where I could learn more.
I started a thread in the South Dakota section if anyone can help me out.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,206633.0.html
Thanks and good luck! Tom

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
HOLA amigos,

Pronghorn thank you for the kind words, I just posted a reply on your new thread. The story of Ezra Kind and his partners has been verified as fact to a fair degree, but no one has yet found their gold. (I have to wonder about where they were mining it, especially considering where Ezra left that stone is a bit north of the gold diggings.) If they had mined it from one of the creeks to the south where there is gold, why did they travel north to leave? I would have chosen to follow the easier/safer routes SE or SW, but perhaps they wanted to find the Missouri river to follow back? What do you think?

Don Jose de la Mancha wrote:
Sheesh ORO: Food and Broads are always popular and accepted subjects, politics no ! Try meat substitutes like soy , works nicely, so does prepared Tortilla flour. However, nothing substitutes for Tea, coffee, or Broads, of course you being a baaa baaa keeper -------.

I did give the soy-meat substitute a try some years ago, either I did it wrong or it was just plain nasty. Probably they have made improvements since then too. Your mention of the tortilla flour reminds me I have blue corn to get shelled and ground up for next summer, as I plan to have more time to go hunt for some of the 18 lost mines here in the Black Hills, maybe the "Old Record" or "Lost Raspberry" or that creek that isn't on any modern maps. Might even take another stab at locating the Lost Cabin mine of the Bighorns, (in Wyoming) went a-hunting that years ago and found no trace of it, but have a new clue to help locate it. (A friend told me he may have found it, and explained how to get to his site, but that it is a real "heck" of a place to get to.)

I was surprised that Hopi blue corn managed to put on ears in time with the shorter growing season here, but it did!

I want to ask you for a recipe too Jose' - do you have an easy recipe for skillet blue corn bread (made by the fire)? I have tried several over the years, all work fairly well of course but looking for a nice simple recipe - maybe one that could be made up dry in zip-lock bags, just add eggs/water/shortening? I will trade you a 3200 year old recipe for roast lamb (or pork) from the Greek poet Homer. That is, unless you don't care for lamb chops? :o Thank you in advance,

Merry Christmas to you all, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread