the oddest tool I have ever encountered (40 yrs.)

pie4himm

Oct 24, 2010
I found this odd looking tool in a box the other day w/ other "known" tools but for the life of me can't figure out what this tool was used for?, if I had to guess I would think it is some sort of brick pointing tool? ..if you know the tool's name, give me a shout..
394335036.jpg

394335030.jpg

394335032.jpg

thanks in advance for all the help! .. I am going with bullhorn jointer as the correct name for this tool

trixie charger

Aug 31, 2010
N.C.
looks like the pointing tools but haven't seen one sharpend to a point like that. Maybe someone made a shank or some specialized tool out of one :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
OK when I was a young kid there was an old building that was being torn down. The building was an old shop, and there were a number of wood working tools in it. There were also many chisels that looked exactly like the one you show. Some of the chisels were spiral in shape too. I never did figure out what they were used for.... but I think maybe some kind of wood working .... maybe barrel making, or something.... I don't think they were for masonry though... HH M

Upvote 0

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
Yep, offset cold chisel. I have chisels just like that with different tips.
I cant tell you the exact use for that style tip.

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vintage featherstrip puller. :icon_thumleft:
They don't make them like that anymore, nowadays mechanics use a screwdriver or make one themselves.

Used to insert under the featherstrip on the rails of billiard tables to remove the featherstrip prior to recovering the rails. :icon_sunny:
Did you find any other billiard related tools or items in the box?

Such as:
Pounding block
Tack puller
Adjustable fork bit
Rubber mallet
Tack Hammer
Putty knife

GG~

Upvote 0

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
The way it is curved just like a bayonet so it wont be in your line of sight...
Ill look up bayonets to see if they have a match..
It would be an old one seeing it has no plating..
John

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pie4himm

Oct 24, 2010
so we have it boiled down to a:
1.woodworking tool possibly used as a specialty tool constructing oak barrels,
2. lead pipe caulking iron
3. bayonet
4. featherstrip puller tool
5. brick pointing tool..
and I am adding a photo showing wear on bottom of the tool as if sliding action is present with use.
can anybody explain how this tool is used as an iron for caulking lead pipes? was it heated up? or simply used like a "trowel" to form the liquid caulking compound?
394351620.jpg

Upvote 0

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
pie4himm said:
so we have it boiled down to a:
1.woodworking tool possibly used as a specialty tool constructing oak barrels,
2. lead pipe caulking iron
3. bayonet
4. featherstrip puller tool
5. brick pointing tool..
and I am adding a photo showing wear on bottom of the tool as if sliding action is present with use.
can anybody explain how this tool is used as an iron for caulking lead pipes? was it heated up? or simply used like a "trowel" to form the liquid caulking compound?
Oakem is a tarred rope sometimes made from hemp packed into the joints between cast iron pipe sections (or old wooden ship planks)then melted lead is poured over it. Those tools are for packing the oakem in or for removing old oakem for repairs.
Its the old way of making water tight seals.

Upvote 0

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure myself but I'd eliminate cold chisel...there's no sign of wear on the head like mushrooming from striking it with a hammer.
I'd also eliminate striking tool for mortar work. I've seen some tiny mortar joints and none have a pointy look to them. Most are either flat or slightly beveled.

I can't see this thing being heated either. No wooden handle to keep whomever from getting burned from handeling hot metal. But for some caulking applications like oakem seems most likely.

Looks too rounded to be either a bayonette or for prying fancy woodwork on a pool table. A bayonette would also be used for hand to hand so that off-set would be kind of awkward.

Just my opinions anyhow.

Al

Upvote 0

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
youtube has everything under the sun :icon_sunny:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pie4himm

Oct 24, 2010
I want to thank everybody that has responded...everybody's input was appreciated.. I bet the gap between ship's planks is pretty small and can see that pointed end on this tool being very useful cramming that oakum into the joints..now, I have got to go see if you tube has a video about wooden shipbuilding, all this time I thought wood planks on antique wooden ships were joined together with tongue and groove type joinery..learn something new here all the time...you people are the best..

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it is for removing the mortar between bricks so they can then be repointed.

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure there are no identifiable markings anywhere on the tool, numbers, letters, anything?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pie4himm

Oct 24, 2010
GoodyGuy said:
Are you sure there are no identifiable markings anywhere on the tool, numbers, letters, anything?
GoodyGuy, I have scoured this thing looking for marks or numbers and have not found anything..has some light surface pitting? maybe caused by a caustic agent?..I have looked for residues of molten lead, none found, the spot or two of white flecks and silver spots appears to be paint and presume this tool to have simply been out in the open w/ no dripcloth protection, when somebody in the past was painting their walls or whatever and what is neat is the rubbing is only on the bottom and not on the top of the "bayonet" like part..and the bottom is rounded where as the top is flat too..lots of clues , but I am still clueless..

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure this mystery will be solved....just a matter of time. :icon_thumleft:
Any masonry tools in the box?
Was a snake eye tool (adjustable fork wrench) in the box?

adj.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions