What's new

the oddest tool I have ever encountered (40 yrs.)

pie4himm

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2010
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I found this odd looking tool in a box the other day w/ other "known" tools but for the life of me can't figure out what this tool was used for?, if I had to guess I would think it is some sort of brick pointing tool? ..if you know the tool's name, give me a shout..
394335036.jpg

394335030.jpg

394335032.jpg

thanks in advance for all the help! .. I am going with bullhorn jointer as the correct name for this tool
 
looks like the pointing tools but haven't seen one sharpend to a point like that. Maybe someone made a shank or some specialized tool out of one :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
OK when I was a young kid there was an old building that was being torn down. The building was an old shop, and there were a number of wood working tools in it. There were also many chisels that looked exactly like the one you show. Some of the chisels were spiral in shape too. I never did figure out what they were used for.... but I think maybe some kind of wood working .... maybe barrel making, or something.... I don't think they were for masonry though... HH M
 
Upvote 0
Yep, offset cold chisel. I have chisels just like that with different tips.
I cant tell you the exact use for that style tip.
 
Upvote 0
Could be some kind of homemade bayonet?
John
 
Upvote 0
Vintage featherstrip puller. :icon_thumleft:
They don't make them like that anymore, nowadays mechanics use a screwdriver or make one themselves.

Used to insert under the featherstrip on the rails of billiard tables to remove the featherstrip prior to recovering the rails. :icon_sunny:
Did you find any other billiard related tools or items in the box?

Such as:
Pounding block
Tack puller
Adjustable fork bit
Rubber mallet
Tack Hammer
Putty knife


GG~
 
Upvote 0
The way it is curved just like a bayonet so it wont be in your line of sight...
Ill look up bayonets to see if they have a match..
It would be an old one seeing it has no plating..
John
 
Upvote 0
mojjax said:
I think it might be a tool for caulking cast iron pipes with melted lead & oakum .

http://www.mephistotool.com/caulkingIrons.html
Those offsets are the same ones I have ,always thought they were just cold chisels.
Ive even done plumbing with cast pipe and oakem and didnt even know i had the proper tools.
Learned something here again, I would say "solved".
 
Upvote 0
so we have it boiled down to a:
1.woodworking tool possibly used as a specialty tool constructing oak barrels,
2. lead pipe caulking iron
3. bayonet
4. featherstrip puller tool
5. brick pointing tool..
and I am adding a photo showing wear on bottom of the tool as if sliding action is present with use.
can anybody explain how this tool is used as an iron for caulking lead pipes? was it heated up? or simply used like a "trowel" to form the liquid caulking compound?
394351620.jpg
 
Upvote 0
pie4himm said:
so we have it boiled down to a:
1.woodworking tool possibly used as a specialty tool constructing oak barrels,
2. lead pipe caulking iron
3. bayonet
4. featherstrip puller tool
5. brick pointing tool..
and I am adding a photo showing wear on bottom of the tool as if sliding action is present with use.
can anybody explain how this tool is used as an iron for caulking lead pipes? was it heated up? or simply used like a "trowel" to form the liquid caulking compound?
Oakem is a tarred rope sometimes made from hemp packed into the joints between cast iron pipe sections (or old wooden ship planks)then melted lead is poured over it. Those tools are for packing the oakem in or for removing old oakem for repairs.
Its the old way of making water tight seals.
 
Upvote 0
Not sure myself but I'd eliminate cold chisel...there's no sign of wear on the head like mushrooming from striking it with a hammer.
I'd also eliminate striking tool for mortar work. I've seen some tiny mortar joints and none have a pointy look to them. Most are either flat or slightly beveled.

I can't see this thing being heated either. No wooden handle to keep whomever from getting burned from handeling hot metal. But for some caulking applications like oakem seems most likely.

Looks too rounded to be either a bayonette or for prying fancy woodwork on a pool table. A bayonette would also be used for hand to hand so that off-set would be kind of awkward.

Just my opinions anyhow.

Al
 
Upvote 0
youtube has everything under the sun :icon_sunny:

 
Upvote 0
I want to thank everybody that has responded...everybody's input was appreciated.. I bet the gap between ship's planks is pretty small and can see that pointed end on this tool being very useful cramming that oakum into the joints..now, I have got to go see if you tube has a video about wooden shipbuilding, all this time I thought wood planks on antique wooden ships were joined together with tongue and groove type joinery..learn something new here all the time...you people are the best..
 
Upvote 0
I believe it is for removing the mortar between bricks so they can then be repointed.
 
Upvote 0
Are you sure there are no identifiable markings anywhere on the tool, numbers, letters, anything?
 
Upvote 0
GoodyGuy said:
Are you sure there are no identifiable markings anywhere on the tool, numbers, letters, anything?
GoodyGuy, I have scoured this thing looking for marks or numbers and have not found anything..has some light surface pitting? maybe caused by a caustic agent?..I have looked for residues of molten lead, none found, the spot or two of white flecks and silver spots appears to be paint and presume this tool to have simply been out in the open w/ no dripcloth protection, when somebody in the past was painting their walls or whatever and what is neat is the rubbing is only on the bottom and not on the top of the "bayonet" like part..and the bottom is rounded where as the top is flat too..lots of clues , but I am still clueless..
 
Upvote 0
I'm sure this mystery will be solved....just a matter of time. :icon_thumleft:
Any masonry tools in the box?
Was a snake eye tool (adjustable fork wrench) in the box?

adj.webp
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom