What's new

the oddest tool I have ever encountered (40 yrs.)

pie4himm

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2010
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I found this odd looking tool in a box the other day w/ other "known" tools but for the life of me can't figure out what this tool was used for?, if I had to guess I would think it is some sort of brick pointing tool? ..if you know the tool's name, give me a shout..
394335036.jpg

394335030.jpg

394335032.jpg

thanks in advance for all the help! .. I am going with bullhorn jointer as the correct name for this tool
 
How about a glass blowers tool? What other unknown tools were in there? I have old tool boxes with tools handed down from great grandparents and beyond that are associated with railroading, a florist, steelworking, high ironwork and some that were collected from flea marketing over the years. There is no telling what was dropped in an old tool box. Lets see some more you are unsure of. Old tools are fun to try to figure out. ;D
 
Upvote 0
White Feather said:
How about a glass blowers tool? What other unknown tools were in there? I have old tool boxes with tools handed down from great grandparents and beyond that are associated with railroading, a florist, steelworking, high ironwork and some that were collected from flea marketing over the years. There is no telling what was dropped in an old tool box. Lets see some more you are unsure of. Old tools are fun to try to figure out. ;D

Maybe glass.That would not effect the tip.
It does not look like any wear on the tip..Any kind of chisel or even soldering dragging it on the pipe would wear the tip.
Thats why im thinking some sort of stabbing tool.
John
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a glass block in your first pic behind the tool. When I install glass block the joints if dry set could be as little as 3/16 to a full half an inch. Looks like the perfect tool for pointing smaller joints. Arty
 
Upvote 0
johnnyblaze said:
Maybe glass.That would not effect the tip.
It does not look like any wear on the tip..Any kind of chisel or even soldering dragging it on the pipe would wear the tip.
Thats why im thinking some sort of stabbing tool.
John

Stabbing tool :icon_scratch: It would make one heck of an ice pick :tongue3:
The offset handle leads me to think differently than ice pick though.

GG~
 
Upvote 0
I've seen a tire tool shaped like that. The pointy end goes inside the rim under the bead of the tire and breaks the bead loose. Then an arm on a tire changing machine fits over the handle or rounded end, and hydraulic pressure caused the whole thing to spin around and break the bead all the way around the tire. Once the bead is broken, another tool with a flat end is used to pry the tire bead up and over the lip of the rim. Or at least that's how I remember it from my old service station days. Perhaps? Monty
 
Upvote 0
Reminds me of a fid, used to spread the strands of rope or wire rope for splicing. Nuggy
 
Upvote 0
Yep
its a pipe joint packing tool
They still make them today
BradyBoy
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • plumbingLeadJointCaulkingIronSet.webp
    plumbingLeadJointCaulkingIronSet.webp
    17.5 KB · Views: 596
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
mojjax said:
Maybe it's rounded from many years of use :dontknow:

And maybe it's a featherstrip puller just the way it is. :dontknow:
I spent over 30 years in the billiard business and have seen many styles of featherstrip pullers....... Just not that one. :tongue3:

Was hoping that other tools in the box would shed some light.


GG~
 
Upvote 0
This is a "digger-outer"caulking tool.Many years ago,water mains were made of concrete asbestos pipe.They were joined together by lead filled joints and a lead type rope called yokum that were tamped in with a caulking tool and hammer.When these joints leaked,thay had to either be re-tamped or dug out by this digger outer caulking tool.I have done this more than once!
 
Upvote 0
gimpybutsure said:
This is a "digger-outer"caulking tool.Many years ago,water mains were made of concrete asbestos pipe.They were joined together by lead filled joints and a lead type rope called yokum that were tamped in with a caulking tool and hammer.When these joints leaked,thay had to either be re-tamped or dug out by this digger outer caulking tool.I have done this more than once!

Sounds good to me. Got a photo of one?
 
Upvote 0
How about a oakum, chalking tool that has been used to point mortar sometime in the past >?

Got to make a dollar any way you can, same as now.
 
Upvote 0
Definitely a masons mortar tool, Dad left me about 4 of them in his bag from when he laid blocks. It is used for making the rounded edge between blocks and bricks while the mortar is wet. The mortar is abrasive and wears the tool like that...
 
Upvote 0
BaDONK said:
Dad left me about 4 of them in his bag from when he laid blocks.
picture please.
 
Upvote 0
yarning iron

offsetYarningIron.webp

I suppose it does make sense that the one in question, if it was used on masonry has worn down from use. :dontknow:

394335032.webp


GG~
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom