the oddest tool I have ever encountered (40 yrs.)

pie4himm

Oct 24, 2010
I found this odd looking tool in a box the other day w/ other "known" tools but for the life of me can't figure out what this tool was used for?, if I had to guess I would think it is some sort of brick pointing tool? ..if you know the tool's name, give me a shout..
394335036.jpg

394335030.jpg

394335032.jpg

thanks in advance for all the help! .. I am going with bullhorn jointer as the correct name for this tool

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a glass blowers tool? What other unknown tools were in there? I have old tool boxes with tools handed down from great grandparents and beyond that are associated with railroading, a florist, steelworking, high ironwork and some that were collected from flea marketing over the years. There is no telling what was dropped in an old tool box. Lets see some more you are unsure of. Old tools are fun to try to figure out. ;D

Upvote 0

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
White Feather said:
How about a glass blowers tool? What other unknown tools were in there? I have old tool boxes with tools handed down from great grandparents and beyond that are associated with railroading, a florist, steelworking, high ironwork and some that were collected from flea marketing over the years. There is no telling what was dropped in an old tool box. Lets see some more you are unsure of. Old tools are fun to try to figure out. ;D

Maybe glass.That would not effect the tip.
It does not look like any wear on the tip..Any kind of chisel or even soldering dragging it on the pipe would wear the tip.
Thats why im thinking some sort of stabbing tool.
John

Upvote 0

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a glass block in your first pic behind the tool. When I install glass block the joints if dry set could be as little as 3/16 to a full half an inch. Looks like the perfect tool for pointing smaller joints. Arty

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyblaze said:
Maybe glass.That would not effect the tip.
It does not look like any wear on the tip..Any kind of chisel or even soldering dragging it on the pipe would wear the tip.
Thats why im thinking some sort of stabbing tool.
John

Stabbing tool :icon_scratch: It would make one heck of an ice pick :tongue3:
The offset handle leads me to think differently than ice pick though.

GG~

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a tire tool shaped like that. The pointy end goes inside the rim under the bead of the tire and breaks the bead loose. Then an arm on a tire changing machine fits over the handle or rounded end, and hydraulic pressure caused the whole thing to spin around and break the bead all the way around the tire. Once the bead is broken, another tool with a flat end is used to pry the tire bead up and over the lip of the rim. Or at least that's how I remember it from my old service station days. Perhaps? Monty

Upvote 0

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of a fid, used to spread the strands of rope or wire rope for splicing. Nuggy

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Attachments

• plumbingLeadJointCaulkingIronSet.jpg
    plumbingLeadJointCaulkingIronSet.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 578
Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mojjax said:
Maybe it's rounded from many years of use :dontknow:

And maybe it's a featherstrip puller just the way it is. :dontknow:
I spent over 30 years in the billiard business and have seen many styles of featherstrip pullers....... Just not that one. :tongue3:

Was hoping that other tools in the box would shed some light.

GG~

Upvote 0

gimpybutsure

Sep 2, 2007
East Central Mo.
Detector(s) used
(not mine)Bounty Hunter-Land Star and radio shack?
This is a "digger-outer"caulking tool.Many years ago,water mains were made of concrete asbestos pipe.They were joined together by lead filled joints and a lead type rope called yokum that were tamped in with a caulking tool and hammer.When these joints leaked,thay had to either be re-tamped or dug out by this digger outer caulking tool.I have done this more than once!

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gimpybutsure said:
This is a "digger-outer"caulking tool.Many years ago,water mains were made of concrete asbestos pipe.They were joined together by lead filled joints and a lead type rope called yokum that were tamped in with a caulking tool and hammer.When these joints leaked,thay had to either be re-tamped or dug out by this digger outer caulking tool.I have done this more than once!

Sounds good to me. Got a photo of one?

Upvote 0

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
How about a oakum, chalking tool that has been used to point mortar sometime in the past >?

Got to make a dollar any way you can, same as now.

Upvote 0

BaDONK

Jan 4, 2011
Albany, NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Safari
Definitely a masons mortar tool, Dad left me about 4 of them in his bag from when he laid blocks. It is used for making the rounded edge between blocks and bricks while the mortar is wet. The mortar is abrasive and wears the tool like that...

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yarning iron

offsetYarningIron.jpg

I suppose it does make sense that the one in question, if it was used on masonry has worn down from use. :dontknow:

394335032.jpg

GG~

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread