Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That program can be entertaining, and some of the stuff they "find" is interesting. I still haven't figured out how they make a living doing what is shown on their program.

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would be hard without the TV money, paying for lodging, meals, gas, would eat up the profits. On a local basis maybe.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The show is fake. Most of their "finds" are rented from local collectors and staged in a location to be "found". They put out flyers and social media calls for months before going to a town. They know exactly where they are going to be going and what they will "find" before ever setting foot.

And yes, without the TV show money they would go broke if they were actually just randomly driving all over the country trying to buy other peoples junk. Hotels average $100 a night and you can spend that much again pretty quick for fuel in a giant moving van like theirs. play with a calculator a little bit, hotel every night, gas every day, eating out every day for 3 meals a day. doing this "for real" at 300 days a year gets REAL expensive.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have been buying/selling antiques since before that show aired and never heard of a "picker". Now I meet "pickers" all of the time. I mostly hit garage/estate sales on the weekends and sell at antique mall. I do believe that if I quit my real job and hit sales on Thursday and Friday when most of the good stuff is still there I could eek out a less than extravagant living. OTOH I know lots of retired people who have been doing it longer than me who don't make squat. Was out past Belton last weekend looking for arrowheads and have a decent feel for the back roads out that way, will be interesting to see what they find. Kind of burned out on the show but will watch if anyone knows the date and time?

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
(The show is fake. Most of their "finds" are rented from local collectors and staged in a location to be "found". They put out flyers and social media calls for months before going to a town. They know exactly where they are going to be going and what they will "find" before ever setting foot.)

And yes, without the TV show money they would go broke if they were actually just randomly driving all over the country trying to buy other peoples junk. Hotels average $100 a night and you can spend that much again pretty quick for fuel in a giant moving van like theirs. play with a calculator a little bit, hotel every night, gas every day, eating out every day for 3 meals a day. doing this "for real" at 300 days a year gets REAL expensive.

Oh, say it aint's so, Jason!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread