pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Between Xmas and New Years a racoon started foraging on the frozen bay.
Seemed to go round and around looking eating something.
I thought it was a goner a few times but it came alive like an old battery.
It met it's end on the last cold snap.
The Ravens came, picked, left, then yesterday the 2 Bald Headed Eagles arrived for their turn.
Today a statement on the menu choice was delivered by another couple.
DSCN1249.JPG
DSCN1346.JPG
DSCN1332.JPG
DSCN1361.JPG
DSCN1362.JPG
DSCN1409.JPG
DSCN1425.JPG

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
Between Xmas and New Years a racoon started foraging on the frozen bay.
Seemed to go round and around looking eating something.
I thought it was a goner a few times but it came alive like an old battery.
It met it's end on the last cold snap.
The Ravens came, picked, left, then yesterday the 2 Bald Headed Eagles arrived for their turn.
Today a statement on the menu choice was delivered by another couple.
View attachment 2002646 View attachment 2002647 View attachment 2002648 View attachment 2002649 View attachment 2002650 View attachment 2002651 View attachment 2002652
It's only yours if you can keep and defend it!

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
A neighbor with a pair of raccoons gave me one as a pet, one night in the house was enough the next morning I was begging him to take the coon back.

A Ferret we had used to run loose in our apartment, we were having a neighbor over for drinks when a long lost buddy stopped in looking for a place to rest and sleep.

The couch was already taken so we gave Pat a sleeping bag and floor space, about 2:00 am the ferret had climbed into the sleeping bag.

Pat woke with a start waking the whole house, no one had told him we had a ferret running loose.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A neighbor with a pair of raccoons gave me one as a pet, one night in the house was enough the next morning I was begging him to take the coon back.

A Ferret we had used to run loose in our apartment, we were having a neighbor over for drinks when a long lost buddy stopped in looking for a place to rest and sleep.

The couch was already taken so we gave Pat a sleeping bag and floor space, about 2:00 am the ferret had climbed into the sleeping bag.

Pat woke with a start waking the whole house, no one had told him we had a ferret running loose.
You had me remembering some inlaws had a coon, night creature as their pet skunk was.
Had me laughing about the ferret.
Funny little creatures they are.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tell me about it, if you keep ferrets fill a baby formula bottle with milk, preferably not left in the baby's crib.

By morning the nipple will have been chewed off with all the milk gone.

And this is before baby has teeth, wife finally figured it out.
If I had a baby, the Ferret would be in a crate.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A grown boar coon can be pretty tough,they have a very loose hide and if a predator grabs it wrong they,ll have a face full of very irritated coon. I once was calling across a open area and called in a very big coon,followed by a pair of coyotes who decided to make a meal of the coon instead of the rabbit I pretended to be.A fight ensued and the coon put up such a game fight I shot the coyotes and the coon left muttering curses under his breath. Amazing the things you can see if you want to.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that was some outstanding outdoor adventure
I recall year’s ago my friend’s father had a coon dog and they took me out for a night hunt when the fur prices were high..it was a hunt that I always will remember

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recall year’s ago my friend’s father had a coon dog and they took me out for a night hunt when the fur prices were high..it was a hunt that I always will remember
Nothing can compare to the sound of a bell mouth hound on a very cold,clear,still night.Not many dog hunters left,but I can and will always remember that sound ringing across the delta.

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my younger years I spent a lot of time in the woods hunting and fishing,I was calling predators before it became a thing.I,ve seen some amazing things just by sitting still and observing. One of my good friends named me Bwana Jim.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes indeed it’s true
I still recall how that dog would find those coons and tree them
I only had the privilege to go on one hunt and it was fantastic