The rain finally quit!

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Finally! This week is supposed to be dry, hopefully I will get some good hunting in.

Per some earlier discussions on here, I decided today to start asking at old houses again for permission to hunt those yards.

The first place I went, the guy looked at me like I was crazy and said "NO" as if I had asked to castrate his dog.

That almost shook me out of asking again, but it didn't quite. I asked at the second place, and he could of cared less!

The second yard ended up taking me the rest of the afternoon to hunt, since it was carpeted in clad. Besides that, I only managed two 40s wheats, an old pin thingy, and a corvette. Still, I had a lot of fun and found enough clad to pay for a meal or gas or something.

What I had forgotten about the most was how CLEAN it was to hunt a yard!! Oh my heavens it was nice, easy hunting!. I think I only dug 2 pieces of junk, the rest was all coinage and keepers. No rocks, no weeds, no broken glass, no foil, no bottlecaps, no bums, none of the hazards I've become accustomed to in my hunts. Heavenly. I'm definitely going to be asking to hunt more yards in the future. ;)

Attachments

• 0528.jpg
    0528.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 249
Upvote 0

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DANG! Look at all those memorial cents!!!!!! :D

At least you got sumthin' for your time spent. ;)

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Wheres all the pulltabs??? Congrats! Im in the same boat you are, parks are over hunted, infested with trash.............need to start askin people to hunt their yards. Nice lady across the street said it was ok, havent made it over yet cause of all the rain. Next week.................!!!

Attachments

• no mo\' tabs damn it!.jpg
    no mo\' tabs damn it!.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 209
  • no mo\' tabs damn it!.jpg
    no mo\' tabs damn it!.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 210

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Wtg on getting permission to hunt some yards.I think some people imagine their yard would look like a battle field if they allowed someone to detect it so they don't even give it a second thought.
Was it raining pennies there? :D

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Thanks for all the kind words peeps.

Apparently the kids that used to live there fell down a lot.  ::)  There were several holes that had multiple coins in them.

And yeah, I don't really care too much about finding the clad as much as the older coins.  Most times when I'm out hunting I skip most of the surface signals and look only for those deep coin signals.  BUT I know from experience that when hunting yards, some yards will be like this one, and some yards will yeild only a whole bunch of old coins--I've seen it many times.  (and some yards have both, and some yards have nothing) But--one yard at a time.  ;)

The whole time I was digging these I kept thinking, "what if these kids had lived here during the 40s and 50s (or earlier)? I swoon at the thought of all those being wheats and silver. heheh I have hunted yards that were like that.

I emptied my trash pocket after I wrote this post--I found 7 trash items.  Ratio-wise that's not too bad, eh?  MUCH better than what I'm used to.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah...hunting yards is much easier! Congrats on getting the "yes"! That's a bunch a money you found!!!

Congrats on your finds!!!

Nana ;)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey you a gal???can sort of tell by oyur typing language style??

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my heavens< that was a tip off my GF and all her sisters and mom use that term sorry LMAO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread