What's new

The Search(#4) (12/12-12/18)

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
1,930
Reaction score
811
Golden Thread
0
Location
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past week produced very few keepers. Every little bit adds to the collection though.

12/12(Returned 3 bags of coins)
(Box of cents-Brinks) 8 common wheats, a few canadian(oldest 1964)
(Box of nickels-Brinks)no war or buffalos, a few foreign coins

12/13(Withdrew $500 from ATM in morning, this has bearing on what follows)
Bank 1 had(15 rolls of dimes-mostly Garda)skunk
(2.50 in halves-skunk)
(15 rolls of cents,4 Garda, 11 customer)1 wheat from customer,1 from Garda, 1 AU 1964 Canadian cent
At bank 2, i bought some coin using money from the withdrawl that morning. I bought 3 1/2 rolls of halves(skunks),15 rolls of dimes(skunk),15 rolls of cents(1 dime and 6 wheats(oldest 1928). As she was counting the money after the transaction, she saw one $20 that didn't look right. It failed the marker test. Normally, they have to confiscate the bill but since the transaction was already made, she handed me back the counterfeit and i gave her another $20.
Bank 3(20 rolls of cents,Garda)10 wheats(oldest 1936),3 canadian(oldest 1957),1 2006 Bahamas coin

12/14-Used the penny arcade. (Handed in the phony $20 to the bank i got it from. They had to fill out some paperwork, got my drivers license info, and gave me a copy. I'm supposed to be able to get a refund for that confiscated bill when I file next year.
Bought a box of cents, nickels, and dimes at that branch(all brinks). The cents had 15 wheats(oldest 1930)4 canadian,1 barbados coin. The dimes had a 1962-D Rosie,the nickels had a 1943-S and 2 newer Canadian nickels.

12/15-($10 in cents,Garda)7 wheats(oldest a 1917),3 newer canadian, a Euro coin
(box of halves,Garda)11-40%, 1-1964

12/16-(2 boxes of halves from 2 different banks)Both skunks
(1 box of cents,Brinks)10 wheats(oldest 1944),5 canadian(including a 1941+1935)
(Box of nickels.Brinks)1 1912 V-Nickel(looks dug) and a foreign coin

12/17-(4 boxes of halves from 2 banks,Garda)only 1-40% total. Many of the halves were marked with a black slash.

12/18- Bank 1(15 rolls of cents)2 wheats, bought $40 in Ikes, and $2.50 in halves. One silver in the halves(1961 Ben)
Bank 2(1O roll each of cents, nickels and dimes(almost all customer rolls)no keepers

I won't be posting this coming weekend but will cover 2 weeks the following weekend. Hope everyone has a safe and happy Christmas holiday. MM2
 

Attachments

  • DSCN3749.webp
    DSCN3749.webp
    32.6 KB · Views: 279
Upvote 0
Interesting finds. Could you tell after you got it back that the 20 was counterfeit? When I dump I always ask for large bills and wonder if I'm going to get a phoney. A couple of years ago a lady got two 100 dollar bills that were counterfeit from a local bank. She didn't find out until she went to buy tires that day and the bills failed the marker test.
Merry Christmas !
Rich
 
Rich Hartford said:
Interesting finds. Could you tell after you got it back that the 20 was counterfeit? When I dump I always ask for large bills and wonder if I'm going to get a phoney. A couple of years ago a lady got two 100 dollar bills that were counterfeit from a local bank. She didn't find out until she went to buy tires that day and the bills failed the marker test.
Merry Christmas !
Rich
The paper wasn't the right texture and it was too dark. Jacksons' shirt should have a rough texture too it, scratch your fingernail against it. This one just didn't look right. Some of the other things on the bill should have a glossy shine to them, this one didn't have it. I guess,with the tellers going thru thousands of dollars each day, spotting a phony is easy for them. I could spot a silver dime in a teller's tray from 10 feet away but couldn't spot a phony $20 if it was taped to my glasses. Even after she showed me the differences, i still would have a hard time spotting one.
 
Where did you get the $20 from? Some store gave it to you as change? Usually, they put money on the money counting machine and it will tell if it's fake. I don't don't know how the money counting machine works but I'm going to guess it knows if the bill was real by weight.
 
u should start asking for 50's because the most counterfeited bill is 20's, then 100's, then 10's, then 50's, then 1's, then 5's, then 2's. so 50's it would be easier to count etc., and chances are u wouldnt get a counterfeit...keep it up and hh!
 
The $20 came directly from a bank ATM. The machine only distributes cash in $20 bills.
 
Does your 1912 V nickel have a mintmark? The S can be quite valuable.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
Kantuckkeean said:
Does your 1912 V nickel have a mintmark? The S can be quite valuable.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
No mintmark that I can see. Still, it's only my 4th V nickel. :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom