Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I added silicon rubber boots to the toggle switches.
IMG_1184.JPG
toggle boot seal.jpg
Find them here:
N5032B APM HEXSEAL | Mouser

You may want to tape over the speaker to splash proof it.
Sovereign-GT-metal-detector-controls.jpg
Check this link for more info! Gary Drayton is the man on the use of the Sovereign GT.
Stting the Sovereign GT controls - Part 1 | Treasure Talk

I also use the Minelab cover for the Sovereign.
Sandman says to bag it!

There are other ways to protect the control box like a waterproof box but that was too much for my use.
Best of Luck!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Till you get the Booties, a plastic baggie over the box so long as its open on the bottom so condensation doesn't
build up. The Sov GT is one of the best you can use.

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Till you get the Booties, a plastic baggie over the box so long as its open on the bottom so condensation doesn't
build up. The Sov GT is one of the best you can use.

The below question has bothered me for a long time:
So anyone who knows the answer, please feel free to chime in.

If you enclosed the Sovereign in a waterproof box, such as a plano, wouldn't condensation be a problem likewise?

I think it would, however, I have never seen posts on this occuring?
It puzzles me as the plastic baggie can be sealed with tape, plus you can double bag it and double seal it as an extra precaution.

The only difference is that the plastic baggie is flexible while the plastic in the plano
box is rigid.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a sov gt mounted in a waterproof camera box and condensation was never an issue, there was enough air room in the box, a plastic bag has little room and heat builds up quickly. I have seen it happen..

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IIRC, your modified Sovereign GT, had a 12" Sunray DD Search Coil.
An early deciscion which I still regret, as I was more interested in an eight inch coil and tried to get too good of a deal when it later was available from the person you sold it to. My loss, her gain!

Now I am stuck with having to shelter the Sovereign I purchased each time it rains, which is almost most morning followed by a heavy downpour in the evening.

Thank you for the explanation, it makes sense. I never considered the effect of heat build up!

Last edited:

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Someone, I think Drayton, suggests wearing the hip mount for the Sov GT with a raincoat one size larger than you would normally wear to cover it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread