What's new

The Sovereign Advantage

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2012
Messages
1,334
Reaction score
511
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking for tips and techniques which exploit the advanced capabilities of the Sovereign model Minelab detectors.

I am also looking for informantion on how to optimally protect it while detecting on salt water beaches.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I added silicon rubber boots to the toggle switches.
IMG_1184.webp
toggle boot seal.webp
Find them here:
N5032B APM HEXSEAL | Mouser

You may want to tape over the speaker to splash proof it.
Sovereign-GT-metal-detector-controls.webp
Check this link for more info! Gary Drayton is the man on the use of the Sovereign GT.
Stting the Sovereign GT controls - Part 1 | Treasure Talk

I also use the Minelab cover for the Sovereign.
Sandman says to bag it!

There are other ways to protect the control box like a waterproof box but that was too much for my use.
Best of Luck!
 
Till you get the Booties, a plastic baggie over the box so long as its open on the bottom so condensation doesn't
build up. The Sov GT is one of the best you can use.
 
Till you get the Booties, a plastic baggie over the box so long as its open on the bottom so condensation doesn't
build up. The Sov GT is one of the best you can use.

The below question has bothered me for a long time:
So anyone who knows the answer, please feel free to chime in.

If you enclosed the Sovereign in a waterproof box, such as a plano, wouldn't condensation be a problem likewise?

I think it would, however, I have never seen posts on this occuring?
It puzzles me as the plastic baggie can be sealed with tape, plus you can double bag it and double seal it as an extra precaution.

The only difference is that the plastic baggie is flexible while the plastic in the plano
box is rigid.
 
Last edited:
I had a sov gt mounted in a waterproof camera box and condensation was never an issue, there was enough air room in the box, a plastic bag has little room and heat builds up quickly. I have seen it happen..
 
IIRC, your modified Sovereign GT, had a 12" Sunray DD Search Coil.
An early deciscion which I still regret, as I was more interested in an eight inch coil and tried to get too good of a deal when it later was available from the person you sold it to. My loss, her gain!

Now I am stuck with having to shelter the Sovereign I purchased each time it rains, which is almost most morning followed by a heavy downpour in the evening.

Thank you for the explanation, it makes sense. I never considered the effect of heat build up!
 
Last edited:
Someone, I think Drayton, suggests wearing the hip mount for the Sov GT with a raincoat one size larger than you would normally wear to cover it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom