What's new

The Swamp Pit-Part Two

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2015
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
3,209
Golden Thread
1
Location
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After finding all that black glass and pottery last week at the newly-discovered colonial trash pit I had to give it another go last Saturday. It had rained hard in the area a couple of days prior and the pit, which is in a low boggy spot (hence the name) was a mud bowl, but this little piggy just dove right into the slop as Dirtstalker would say. Here is a picture I took during a break; those were blue jeans believe it or not.

20160820_120051.webp

As soon as I got into the mire the black glass shards came out in droves, mixed in with an occasional ceramic pottery shard. This time I broke out the AT Pro periodically to check the excavated material for signals; good thing the ATP is waterproof! :tongue3: The first good target was a brass wax seal, less the stone insert that would have contained the reverse image; this was a first for me.

20160823_213626.webp 20160823_213930.webp

Another very cool find was a perfectly preserved wooden table knife handle from the first half of the 18th century-a "pistol" style handle. The detector picked it up because of the iron shaft that attached the knife to the handle. The wood was preserved because it was buried in the muck for 250 to 300 years. After soaking the handle first in rubbing alcohol followed by acetone to remove all moisture I applied a coat of polyurethane to seal the wood.

20160823_212232.webp 20160823_212349.webp

I found enough matching stoneware shards to start reconstructions of two bowls and a large salt glazed jar. I know there are more pieces there and plan to add to the vessels.

20160823_200600.webp 20160823_211726.webp

20160823_200252.webp

20160823_200654.webp

Another detecting find from the pit was actually in the mud inside the neck of a black glass bottle. It is an early small strap-end buckle frame; not sure what it was used for and if anyone has an idea please chime in.

20160823_212817.webp

The last detecting find in the pit was a large padlock that was just under the surface. I also found part of a large ceramic tile with a hand-painted tree scene on it. Interestingly the tile is glazed on both sides.

20160823_200357.webp

20160823_200459.webp

One other partial reconstruction from Saturday was a black glass bottle from the mid-1700s. I was only able to match the base and neck so there is a big gap on one side; I call it "cross section of a wine bottle." :laughing7:

20160823_200129.webp 20160823_200211.webp

After five + hours of mud wrestling glass and pottery I decided to hit the adjacent creek, wash off the mud and metal detect for a little while. Turned out to be a good idea because I found three flat buttons.

20160823_211907.webp

Another very productive and interesting day in the pit. There is plenty of area left to cover-and Allen needs to help me sort through it. 8-)

20160823_200050.webp


(Ignore the next picture-it is from a previous post)
 

Attachments

  • 20160819_185222.webp
    20160819_185222.webp
    883.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Upvote 24
Looks like you're on a good site. Keep checking and who knows what you might find.
 
It's not siftable-just feeling my way through the mud with my gloved hands.
 
image.webpI'm in awe! Great pit youre in there, love seeing this stuff! Incredible knife handle, amazing that it was preserved by the mud! Love the reconstruction stuff too! Concerning that buckle, I found a similar one in SC at an 18th century site, and I figure it was a strap buckle also. Congrats!
 
Great mud saves Glenn. I'm glad to hear you didn't completely cut your finger off on that glass. Yeah I REALLY do need to help you but you know that Mud Pit puts me to sleep.
Cartoon-Pig-Bathing-in-Mud~2.webp
 
I sure love that wine bottle, what a fun time digging stuff that old! Good luck finding more!
 
Great set of finds and most land you right in the early-middle 18th C.
 
Great mud saves Glenn. I'm glad to hear you didn't completely cut your finger off on that glass. Yeah I REALLY do need to help you but you know that Mud Pit puts me to sleep.
View attachment 1351183

Yeah I sliced my finger pretty good but a makeshift bandage got me back in the stie. A little super glue after I got home and I'm ready to go back.
 

Attachments

  • 1472045049810.webp
    1472045049810.webp
    17.6 KB · Views: 69
Not sure how I missed this man. I was just thinking that I never saw the post with your wooden handle, so I searched and saw this buried half way down the second page. Sick hunt once again Glenn. Did those Blue Jeans turn into brown khakis? Ha. It's too bad you can sift that slop... I bet there's all kinds of small bits of cool stuff in there. When I sift in the winter and it's wet, I find way less than when its dry and the dust falls right off the artifacts. Keep at it man... These posts are just awesome.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom