What's new

The Swamp Pit

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2015
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
3,209
Golden Thread
1
Location
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After finding the stirrup and other goodies at my favorite colonial site last weekend I decided to take a day off work Tuesday and visit the site again. This time I took my probe with the hopes of finding more trash pits to dig. My first stop was a low area that is basically a mud bog, where a few weeks ago DirtStalker found some black glass bottle shards partially exposed. A quick probe revealed that there is a LOT of glass there, over a larger area than we thought. So much so that I believe this was the plantation's main trash pit, which I have named the Swamp Pit.

So I dug down about six inches with the shovel and heard the familiar crunch of stacked glass shards-but this time it was black glass. I was excavating black glass bottle necks, bases and broken side pieces steadily and the glass was thick down to about 18 inches. Here are just a few examples; this is only a fraction of what I dug:

20160819_181745.webp

I quickly figured out that the best way to work through the pile was to use a screwdriver and work it through the mud. I came across the base of an early onion bottle at the bottom of the pit that was in really good shape so I saved all of the glass that surrounded it with the hope that I might be able to reconstruct it. After I got home Tuesday evening and cleaned everything up I was able to match the neck and a piece from the side of the bottle. I glued them together and the result was an onion bottle that is about 75 percent complete. It's a smaller one and based on the shape it was made sometime between 1680 and the 1720s.

20160817_210035.webp

20160819_182903.webp 20160819_182813.webp

Back to the dig...
About halfway through the day I found a bottle seal that bears the initials "WH" and has a small sunburst at the bottom. I have wanted to find one of these for a long time and was pretty stoked when I did. From what I understand, "WH" would have been the bottle owners' initials; and owning sealed bottles was a sign of wealth.

20160819_183331.webp

I also found several types of pottery shards as well as pieces of other types of bottles. I have managed to start reconstructing some of them and hope to find other pieces that match in the future.

20160819_182053.webp

20160819_182642.webp

20160819_182730.webp

The pit has a lot of colonoware (slave pottery) shards in it and I saved all of the ones that I found.

20160819_183728.webp

No colonial trash pit would be complete without animal bone fragments and teeth and this one is no exception.

20160819_181851.webp

At the end of the day I did a little bit of detecting at the main site and scored this small decorative pewter bridle boss:

20160819_183209.webp20160819_183100.webp

Here is a group shot of all of my finds for the day:

20160819_185222.webp

With all that I found, I only put a dent in the pit. I can see many more trips to the Swamp Pit in my future-starting tomorrow. 8-)

To be continued...

20160816_114954.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 44
Wow that's a perfect match. Pretty neat that you found yours in England and mine was found at a colonial American site. Now there's no doubt mine is British made.

The plantation was active from the 1680s to the 1780s so that will at least narrow yours to a one hundred year window.

I just can't imagine finding something 1600's in North America, that's impressive to me. Again great finds, pretty sure there's a lot more at that spot.
 
Greetings from the Swamp Pit!! LOL
 

Attachments

  • 1471709297265.webp
    1471709297265.webp
    109.8 KB · Views: 98
Nice bunch of finds, well done!

''decorative pewter bridle boss''

Those 17th C leather mounts are not pewter but a copper-alloy coated type. They vary a lot, but I believe its some kind of Zinc coating that would have a silver effect, making it looks more flashy than it was.
 
Very cool site. Ok as a bottle digger of 30 years I have found several great sites similar to yours . The issue is keeping them dry and preventing the walls from collapsing. I had two sites I dug (both killer) years ago;one in river ( the village houses were on both sides and they just threw the trash out the back doors) and the other was on the edge of a swamp. In the river I used 8' 2'x10' planks to make a sluice to divert the water and allow me to dig into the river bed (did that in August when the water was very low) and used the same planks in the swamp. The swamp is like your place. I dug a pit 8'x8' with the sides flared outward and lined them with the planks and 50 gallon trash bags which I slit open to make sheets to help keep the pit dry. I was able to get down 8' and fully dig the dump site. Crazy you say ; my wife would agree but the colored pontiled sodas and medicines I dug were well worth the effort( the amber pontiled Moffet's Bitters was worth $1400). you seem dedicated so I thought I 'd throw that out there. The huge word of caution anytime your digging a big hole 'especially with unstable walls never undermine the walls or tunnel and always dig with a partner.
 
I'm not really at all familiar with old Glass but that bottle you called an onion bottle is incredible looking and something I would be proud to have in my display cabinet
 
Nice bunch of finds, well done!

''decorative pewter bridle boss''

Those 17th C leather mounts are not pewter but a copper-alloy coated type. They vary a lot, but I believe its some kind of Zinc coating that would have a silver effect, making it looks more flashy than it was.

Thanks for the info-that explains why it rang up more like silver than pewter.
 
There isn't a doubt in my mind that that pit is loaded down below detector range. The 2 times I played in it the place had recent rain and was sloppy muddy. I did manage pulling few odd iron pieces out but I must have pulled 20+ bottle bottoms and some bottle tops out of that Pig Swamp. I told Glenn all we needed is a backhoe and we could get to the motherload. He agreed to provide the backhoe if I would provide the helicopter to deliver it to Pig Swamp. I believe working it today he will get down to small sections of goodies but not without a massive amount of hand work. Hope he kills it today.

Looks like I'll need to trade my C-17 for a helo to aid in the excavations
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom