What's new

The Tooth? You Cant Handle The Tooth!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2007
Messages
4,371
Reaction score
1,074
Golden Thread
0
Location
Largo, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tooth? You Can't Handle The Tooth!

Once again having no choice but to flee Denver and its lack of detecting sites, I again chose to visit a nearby ghost town. I’ve been to this site twice before, once earlier this spring where I dug a nice 17th and Curtis, Denver token, and just recently when I dug a sweet 1869 Seated Dime. Also shown is a front of a GAR coat button, the back unfortunately missing. The dime has plenty of surface scratches, but being used to the fire etched round blobs of silver I’m used to digging, I’m more than happy with this find. This time I went up to the site with another human, and we proceeded to scan the area carefully. The site is literally covered with shards of broken glass, old turn of the century cans, and sheets of tin, so hunting must be done very meticulously. After several frustrating hours, I managed to pull a hotel baggage key check, with no visible signs of lettering on it. Patented by Arthur Stafford of Brooklyn, New York, it has a patent date of Dec. 31, 1867. Designed to prevent hotel guests from running off with the hotel keys, it is encircled with saw toothed edges, creating a bizarre sun burst pattern. Until I got home and cleaned it, my favorite find was a large human tooth, with a gaping cavity in the center. It will be cleaned, drilled, and proudly worn around my neck in the near future. While bending down to retrieve another find, I suddenly saw out of the corner of my eye a fast moving blur of color. Quickly jumping out of the way, I spotted a large black item speedily approaching. After careful contemplation, I decided to not dispatch it with my Lesche, but photograph for later identification. Any help would be appreciated on its identity. When I arrived home and started cleaning the hotel check, I could faintly make out the words, “Teller House, No. 28” This could be a very good find. The Teller was built in 1872, and has a famous history in Central City. President Grant once stayed there and the citizens of Central City decided to place large silver bars in front of the entrance to impress him with the immense mining going on in their town. No tokens, no silver, but a unique piece of Colorado history.
 

Attachments

  • Dscf00081.webp
    Dscf00081.webp
    135.3 KB · Views: 804
  • 1869 Seated Dime.webp
    1869 Seated Dime.webp
    58.7 KB · Views: 817
  • GAR Button.webp
    GAR Button.webp
    47.9 KB · Views: 839
  • Teller House.webp
    Teller House.webp
    195 KB · Views: 834
  • Tooth.webp
    Tooth.webp
    8.8 KB · Views: 837
  • Silence of the lambs.webp
    Silence of the lambs.webp
    2.7 KB · Views: 842
  • Buggy#20.webp
    Buggy#20.webp
    189.8 KB · Views: 798
Upvote 0
Re: The Tooth? You Can't Handle The Tooth!

Why would you wear someones tooth around your neck?
 
Re: The Tooth? You Can't Handle The Tooth!

mickk said:
Why would you wear someones tooth around your neck?
Part of a Gris Gris bag, mainly to protect me from squirrels.
 
Re: The Tooth? You Can't Handle The Tooth!

I really like that Teller House key tag!

The seated dime ain't too shabby either!
 
Re: The Tooth? You Can't Handle The Tooth!

Your critter looks like it could be the sort of catterpillar that will evolve into a Swallowtail butterfly.
 
Re: The Tooth? You Can't Handle The Tooth!

Likely Guy said:
I like the G.A.R. button. Did they ever have an encampment at Central City or was it a local's item?

Nice tooth by the way.

This I don't know, will research. Lot of Union boys seeking silver, that's for sure. Can't decide if I'm gonna fill the cavity. 8)
 
Re: The Tooth? You Can't Handle The Tooth!

Love everything you found CDC. Especially the button. Cool caterpillar also.
Chris
 
Re: The Tooth? You Can't Handle The Tooth!

curbdiggercarl57 said:
Once again having no choice but to flee Denver and its lack of detecting sites, I again chose to visit a nearby ghost town. I’ve been to this site twice before, once earlier this spring where I dug a nice 17th and Curtis, Denver token, and just recently when I dug a sweet 1869 Seated Dime. Also shown is a front of a GAR coat button, the back unfortunately missing. The dime has plenty of surface scratches, but being used to the fire etched round blobs of silver I’m used to digging, I’m more than happy with this find. This time I went up to the site with another human, and we proceeded to scan the area carefully. The site is literally covered with shards of broken glass, old turn of the century cans, and sheets of tin, so hunting must be done very meticulously. After several frustrating hours, I managed to pull a hotel baggage key check, with no visible signs of lettering on it. Patented by Arthur Stafford of Brooklyn, New York, it has a patent date of Dec. 31, 1867. Designed to prevent hotel guests from running off with the hotel keys, it is encircled with saw toothed edges, creating a bizarre sun burst pattern. Until I got home and cleaned it, my favorite find was a large human tooth, with a gaping cavity in the center. It will be cleaned, drilled, and proudly worn around my neck in the near future. While bending down to retrieve another find, I suddenly saw out of the corner of my eye a fast moving blur of color. Quickly jumping out of the way, I spotted a large black item speedily approaching. After careful contemplation, I decided to not dispatch it with my Lesche, but photograph for later identification. Any help would be appreciated on its identity. When I arrived home and started cleaning the hotel check, I could faintly make out the words, “Teller House, No. 28” This could be a very good find. The Teller was built in 1872, and has a famous history in Central City. President Grant once stayed there and the citizens of Central City decided to place large silver bars in front of the entrance to impress him with the immense mining going on in their town. No tokens, no silver, but a unique piece of Colorado history.

Cool! I dug a big old molar last month! :) The other finds are great too!
 
Re: The Tooth? You Can't Handle The Tooth!

Cool finds, I like the dime.
 
Re: The Tooth? You Can't Handle The Tooth!

Great hunt! love the button. congrats.
 
Re: The Tooth? You Can't Handle The Tooth!

Nice and weird find? I'll be living in Colorado by June so I'll be wanting to hit and learn the area! :thumbsup:
 
Re: The Tooth? You Can't Handle The Tooth!

nice finds. the tooth is creepy. :-X :o dont think i woulda kept it...
that looks like a pretty area to be detecting in
 
Re: The Tooth? You Can't Handle The Tooth!

Nice looking area. Love the seated dime....Matt
 
Re: The Tooth? You Can't Handle The Tooth!

Awesome tooth! You should go back and look around...maybe the rest of the skull is there...you could make a cool holder to put your keys in! ;D

Of course....there's no discounting the need to keep the squirrels at bay....
 
Re: The Tooth? You Can't Handle The Tooth!

Love the dime! Too bad the tooth wasn't gold! :icon_scratch: I envy your hunting territory out there! Beautiful country! :thumbsup: Nice ghost town finds! :icon_sunny:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom