What's new

The Vaquero ....

You seem to be doing really well with the Vaquero. Is your soil very mineralized there? Also, are you hunting mostly fields or some old home sights?
Really great finds!!
 
Hello Rooster.......... I hunt almost 100% fields ........... Now the old homesites from long ago are in the fields now ... Our soil is fairly mild I suppose .... unless potash has been added and then it gets kind of jittery on ground balance.... On a minelab xterra 505 , we usually ground balance in the 6 to 10 range ,,, that is out of a possible 20..... on good flat ground that has not been rowed up yet and is void of crop stubble , I can run the Vaquero past 10 on sensitivity and it is pretty quiet .... otherwise , I have to cut Sen back to about 9.5..........
 
Back in the corn field this morning early .... Vaquero in full discrimination , negative gb , sensitivity set at 10.... Found these dimes no more than 15 ft apart ... Was an old homesite , now corn field ... Rain ran me to the truck .... 1839 seated ,,,,1898 barber
 

Attachments

  • thumbnail_IMG_0224.webp
    thumbnail_IMG_0224.webp
    188 KB · Views: 138
Those are some awesome finds there Longcut. Really old silver! Good job!!
They being in a cornfield, which has been turned over and planted for so many years, about how deep were they?
 
thanks Rooster....... the 1839 was in the 6 to 8 inch range... the other was 5 to 6 inches ........ the farmer has rowed up for next crop , but in this particular field he pulled a roller over the rows and has it packed down really good ....... a good flat surface about 18 or 20 inches wide ..........
 
Found this Yale lock in the same area as the two dimes yesterday morning ... My hunting buddy found a silver war nickel in the same area ....thumbnail_IMG_0225.webp
 
I don't find many 69 caliber minies , but I found one this morning ....thumbnail_IMG_0266.webp
 
Great find - Congrats! :occasion14:
 
short hunt this morning ..... about 30 minutes .....thumbnail_IMG_0267.webp




Confederate Enfield bullet..
 
I don't have a picture to post today , but I do have a little inspirational post to add ......... My hunting partner bought a Deleon about the same time I bought my Vaquero ...... today , hunting side by side , he hit 7 minies and poor ole me only got one ...........:icon_scratch:
 
I don't have a picture to post today , but I do have a little inspirational post to add ......... My hunting partner bought a Deleon about the same time I bought my Vaquero ...... today , hunting side by side , he hit 7 minies and poor ole me only got one ...........:icon_scratch:


Quit walking behind him!
 
L M A O !!!!!
 
Pretty good morning today .... some Enfield drops , and some fired three and two ringers .... We managed to get a good line on where the Confederate trenches were at this battle .... We found over 30 bullets today, plus the J hook off a rifle sling ...... It was fun !!!!thumbnail_IMG_0269.webp
 
I just finished cleaning/measuring/weighing the bullets above ..... out of the 12 rounds I found, there are 6 different kinds of bullets.... The Confederates were shooting whatever they could get their hands on ......
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom