GKman

Mar 15, 2011
Dutchess County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The wow that almost wasn't... Eagle Belt plate

And to think I almost passed this signal up. It was showing up at 12/30 at 6 inches but it was considerably deeper so I covered the hole thinking it was trash. I walked away but the next time I passed it in my grid I listened to it again and thought it was worth a second try and out popped this nice belt plate. Other than that I found a 1929 Standing Liberty quarter. Does anyone have an idea on the vintage of this belt plate?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130811_213223.png
    ForumRunner_20130811_213223.png
    307.6 KB · Views: 164
  • ForumRunner_20130811_213235.png
    ForumRunner_20130811_213235.png
    303.4 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 5
hi GKman, :o smart move to re check that signal , CW vets plate mixed in with early American finds , great area your hunting 8-)

imo.. A un-damaged one i could see going for about $600 or even more on E-Bay! I don't know what a damaged one would bring in. If you do want to sell it I'm sure E-Bay would be it. Did you happen to dig this in a Civil War area? It is possible this plate was used in the CW !! if it was found in a Civil War camp site then the value could be higher.

I personally think that price is too high. Maybe for a pristine plate, with two bidders fighting over it. The prewar panel plates seldom go for more than $50-$100 in dug condition. There just isn't a demand for the pre-war ones.

Regards,

Buck

beautiful plate! wierd that it gave you a weak signal

It didn't give a weak signal. At first I thought it could be an Indian head, but when I took a big scoop of soil out and still couldn't pinpoint it I figured it was some sort of trash quite a bit deeper ( CTX was saying 12/30 at 6 inches). The grass here is about a foot high so it wasn't an easy task to swing the coil through it, that coupled with my hunch it wasn't a desirable target turned me away. But, when I passed by it again on my way back along the grid I was working I thought to myself "I'll regret not knowing what it is".
Thank goodness I did...

I personally think that price is too high. Maybe for a pristine plate, with two bidders fighting over it. The prewar panel plates seldom go for more than $50-$100 in dug condition. There just isn't a demand for the pre-war ones.

Regards,

Buck

I agree that most "common" early militia plates sell for the price of $50-$150. I know of a few common pre-war militia plates @ a relic shop in Stafford selling for $100-$200.. This one however is outlined as "Thought to be one of the first panel plates because of its copper construction" and the rarity of this plate is higher compared to most common militia plates. $600 for a pristine plate of this kind, you are right! may be a-little to high and i'm not trying to down-play anyones finds... but I think a pristine one of this kind would go for more than $50-$100, but probably not $600, unless it was at a online or offline auction. I recently just saw a fairly common 1850s militia plate last month that was dug in Mathews,Virginia sell for $450 @ auction by Regimental Headquarters in Stafford,Virginia (Nick thought it would go for $200 but giving it was dug in Mathews,Va the price went higher)... Again i'm not trying to down-play anyones find. Too bad for the damage but I think it is still a great rare militia plate.

Last edited:
I went into Regimental Headquarters today in Stafford,Virginia and saw this exact plate in pristine condition(amazing plate)... The guy who runs the shop who is been there 30+ years and is mentioned in many Civil War artifact books and buckle books including O'Donnells buckle book,etc said this is a rare plate considering the fact from the book outlining: "Thought to be one of the first panel plates because of its copper construction, fine die work and plating. Two Unusual panel plate features are the wreath of acrons and oak leaves around the boarder and "glory" (stars,rays,motto ribbon) overhead" he said this plate in pristine condition for a price is about $300-$400. The plate he has in pristine condition, he is not selling but keeping for his collection.. Just figured I would share that info for you from a guy who is in the artifact business.. If you ever make it to Virginia you can swing by his shop and take a glance @ it. I am voting banner find for you on this..

Last edited:
Thank you much sir I do appreciate that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back