These people were hooked!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Went out and searched around a bit for a privy to dig today and was lucky enough to probe a couple. Got to do one before the cold and darkness set in.:BangHead: Sure wish it were summer year around!:tongue3: But it was decent enough to get this pit done. And it turned out pretty good. It had a lot of goodies in it but it appeared to have been dipped. Reason being is that all of the bottles were on one side of the pit and the other side was full of sand. And the fact that there were a couple "late throws" in there and pieces of older bottles that predated this particular privy.

Started out with one Dr. Miles restorative Nervine, then two, then three, then four and so on. They were hooked on this stuff. No beers really. Just a couple liquor bottles. Then a nice Dr. Miles Restorative Blood Purifier saw the light. Don was pulling them out left and right and they were only 3 feet deep if that. Then I got my turn and pulled out an unbelievable Absolute Parasite Exterminator bottle from Akron Ohio. A huge medicine and it was intact. I guess this was used to kill parasites in your blood. Crazy quack doctors!:laughing7: Got a really nice Dr. Fenners Kidney and Headache Cure as well as a nice pickle jar and several druggist bottles. One from Hot Springs Arkansas, one from Mishawaka Indiana and another from Plymouth Indiana. Quite the nice assortment of bottles for a a shallow pit. It came to a close real quick, but we were kinda glad because we had a short time to get it done. The other pit I probed appears to be a bit deeper and close to 6 feet deep. About 10 feet behind the this one. So hoping for more goodies there. Now if this darn snow would quit and Indiana Summer would return we will be back in business. Until then be safe out there and happy hunting! jgas

Attachments

• L1.jpg
    L1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 96
  • L2.jpg
    L2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 92
  • L3.jpg
    L3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 93
  • L4.jpg
    L4.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 104
  • L5.jpg
    L5.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 114
  • L10.jpg
    L10.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 101
  • L9.jpg
    L9.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 96
  • L8.jpg
    L8.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 87
  • L7.jpg
    L7.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 104
  • L6.jpg
    L6.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 8

S IL THer

Nov 29, 2009
S. Illinois
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, DFX, Coinmaster Pro,White's Eagle II SL, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with the household taking all that stuff, you better look for another privy or two...great haul ....love the aqua....

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jgas,
Nice haul you Hoosier's. :thumbsup: My brother told me it was snowing up there in LaPorte.
I may have a few privy leads for you in LP if you ever have a chance. One was used as a CW hospital I am told. I detected the house next door about three months ago.
Congrats on the great old bottles.
-Doug-
The other Hoosier :laughing7:

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey jgas,

Congratulations on another bountiful excursion to the land of ashy goodness. I do like that Absolute Parasite Exterminator. This is the first I've seen.

"The Absolute Chemical Co., No. 1080 East Market street, manufacturers of the absolute parasite exterminator, organized December 19 1890; capital, $50,000; Richard J Cunnington, president; Stephen H Barron, vice president; William E Roth, secretary; Albert B Cunnington, treasurer; James H Case, chemist. Buildings, 20x60 two stories, 30x65 one story; hands employed 4." Fifty Years and Over of Akron and Summit County [O.] - Samuel Alanson Lane

There was apparently an Absolute Parasite Exterminator No. 2 "For Pains, Aches, and Bruises (see the ad on page 33) Akron City Directory 1891-1892. APE No.1 was "For Dyspepsia, Liver and Kidney Trouble (see the ad at page 37.) See also page 41, 45, 49, 53, etc. "The Best System Tonic Known."

Here's hoping the other pit is the older of the two.

firstcopcar_700.jpg

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lovely bunch of bottles! As for the snow-flame thrower.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score !

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of Meds there! The Absolute Parasite Exterminator reminds me of one of my favorite parasite killers - Bumsteads Worm Syrup. Big differences in bottle size and shape, but the same intent.

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gotta hate those "honey dippers" I always wondered where they dumped all that nasty goodness when they did that? Up the road? Closest ravine? Creek.... the possibilities are endless. Congrats on bringing those sweet bottles back into the light of day!

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hey guys thanks for the replies. It was a fun pit and I sure wish we knew where they dumped the stuff from the dumps! Hey Doug I'm ready for the coordinates for laporte digging anytime. Good to hear from a former Hoosier! Take care down south. Jgas.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys thanks for the replies. It was a fun pit and I sure wish we knew where they dumped the stuff from the dumps! Hey Doug I'm ready for the coordinates for laporte digging anytime. Good to hear from a former Hoosier! Take care down south. Jgas.

Check your PM. I sent you a few leads. :thumbsup:
-Hoosier Daddy-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions