Thinking About A New Unit

Jonsered

Oct 12, 2009
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Hi all. Long time forum member and detector with a question. Had a White's Spectrum XLT for about 15 years. Been a great unit, made some great finds and still works fine. My question is, is there enough difference between the new White's units and my XLT to warrant stepping into a new one? I do a lot of coin shooting, but I also use it for mine camp relics and tracking black sand on my claim.

Opinions? I live in the middle of nowhere, and I can't just pop into a detector shop for a demo of the new models. Thanks!

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are happy with your XLT don't waste your money!
I started with a Coinmaster GT paid new price and bought a couple of coils. Then a year later I thought I needed something better, so got A DFX. Then a couple of XLTs came along on Craigs list and they were not much different than the DFX, in fact, I think I liked them better now I think back.
Been on hunts with others who had higher end machines.. they did no better than me with my OLD DFX.
Back to the NEW Coinmaster GT I bought and was discontinued a year after I got it.. I have over $700 invested in that with the 2 coils.. saw one used on another forum today for $200. :-(

There has been NOTHING new in detector tech in years. Shortly after the GT was no longer sold they came out with another unit (forget the name) but it was just the GT repackaged made to look fancier. I think that model has been discontinued as well. Faster processing, more data on the screen, some are water proof.. but they still detect in the exact same way as you XLT, with the same limitation as the technology has always had.. ground conditions!

If you want to spend money and learn a new machine then there are lots of choices! Will you find more stuff, I would bet not!
One thing I will say, no DD coils for the XLT is the only reason I stayed with the DFX. They are much better working in trash, that is one of the advantages of a new machine.

Good luck with whatever you do!

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT would be a great fit that's a great deep coin detector, it also has prospecting mode which you read ground change for the black sand and you can get a lot of coils for it. With the right coil the MXT has as much depth as any top end detector, you might keep your detect and find a good deal on a used MXT. I especially wouldn't mind if I could find on local you could check out first. HH

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
The new MX7 should be a significant improvement over the XLT www.whiteselectronics.com $549 MAP price. It can be used in the rain but isn't submersible.

The XLT is a quarter of a century old design. Detector engineers keep learning & new software is designed. A video by Whites showed air tests on a quarter MXT 10,5" MX5 11.5" MX Sport 12.5". The MX Sport was also more quiet. The MX7 seems like a water resistant version of the waterproof MX Sport, except the coil is 9.5" concentric. The smaller Detect coil for the MX7 is another $149.95 but it is reported as getting coins in a hole with several nails. Weight is down to 3.5 lbs but still requires 8 AA batteries. Long features list. Best wishes.

Last edited:

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MX7 unless you decide to hunt where there is water, then the MX Sport.

yardgoat

May 15, 2015
Salmon, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too have the Whites XLT ( in fact I have 2 of them) they both work fine but decided to buy the MX Sport and to tell the truth I really like the Sport, I haven't used it in the water yet but it does out shine the XLT with just a small learning curve. Good luck on whatever you decide on..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread