Thinking about trading up...advice

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a couple of 70d half dollars a few weeks back, and I added one of them to my book. I am kind of wanting to trade one for a WLH or a barber. The coin shop by my house has some decently priced walkers and barbers, redbook prices the 70d at $18 and I know some walkers/barbers are around the same price for low grades. I have yet to find a barber, or even a walker for that matter, from coin roll hunting (still pretty new, only 6 months into the hobby). I own a few walkers from when I used to buy from pawn shops and coins stores so I am thinkin if I can score a barber on a straight trade for the 70d ken it be a good deal. Any thought on this subject? I am most likely going to swing by the shop tomorrow with my half and see what the guy will offer for a trade.

Upvote 0
My guess is that you aren't going to find anyone willing to give you more than spot for the '70, especially one that's circulated. More likely you'll be offered 80-90% of spot locally. If you can find someone willing to do the trade, heck even for a '64 or Franklin, I'd do it all day long.

Dealers have to make a profit, and a 70D for a very old coin is actually a loss. Other people that buy from them, especially amatuers, are willing to pay more for an older coin than a 70D because they don't yet understand the concept of rarity. Plus, Red Book prices don't nessessarily reflect market prices, and sometimes are very over-estimated.

I would love to hear how you make out with the clad. I don't think it would ever happen. But good luck.

The Redbook overestimates prices. It is useful for what it is: a retail price guide, meaning what you can expect to pay a dealer. In general, most dealers will pay more for coins in demand and will not pay much of anything for modern coins. There are few people who will pay $18 for a 1970-D half. I mean, why pay $18 for one coin when you can buy the entire set for $18.50 (see 1970 United States Mint Set - 10 Coins Including 70D Kennedy Half - Uncirculated | eBay )

There are some coins in high demand right now, silver dollars, silver eagles, etc. and a lot of coins not in much demand at all such as Susan B. Anthony dollars, numismatic JFK half dollars (the silver ones are in demand but will only sell for silver) and most other small dollar coins (with the exception of major varieties such as the ones with no edge lettering)

I found a couple of 70d half dollars a few weeks back, and I added one of them to my book. I am kind of wanting to trade one for a WLH or a barber. The coin shop by my house has some decently priced walkers and barbers, redbook prices the 70d at $18 and I know some walkers/barbers are around the same price for low grades. I have yet to find a barber, or even a walker for that matter, from coin roll hunting (still pretty new, only 6 months into the hobby). I own a few walkers from when I used to buy from pawn shops and coins stores so I am thinkin if I can score a barber on a straight trade for the 70d ken it be a good deal. Any thought on this subject? I am most likely going to swing by the shop tomorrow with my half and see what the guy will offer for a trade.

More power to you if you can make the deal, but I'm afraid your coin dealer may laugh at your offer. Entire 1970 mint sets can be bought in the $10-$14 range all day if you'll just do a litle shopping around. My guess is that your coin dealer will offer you somewhere between $2.50 and $3.50 for your coin.

Technically it's silver-clad, but in the essence of clarity we all refer to clad as POS coins not worth anything. I'm going with silver on this one

Well I took my 70d, plus a few v nicks that I have doubles of (for a little extra "buying power"), and headed over to my favorite coin store. Pulled up and they were closed...so, looks like I will have to wait for another day to trade. I probably wont have time to go back till next week sometime I'm going to be kind busy the next few days, and I'm going on a long overdue fishing trip on sunday. Got some home made catfish bait stewin in the fridge at this very moment!

Saw a 1970 set in the coin shop today and the price on it was $66.50. I am thinking he has it priced a wee bit high. Just the standard mint set in a plastic sleeve thing, not even boxed.

Rascal

Its funny that the older guys that I know refer to 1965-1970 Kens as clad, and some of them act as if the 40% are worthless.

A friend of mine, who is 64, once asked if I found any clad, and the only thing that came to my mind was "Yeah, the last 17 boxes I opened were solid clad!!!"

On this website, it is referred to, most generally, as 40% and 90%, and everything else is clad.

I think the terminology has changed...

Its funny that the older guys that I know refer to 1965-1970 Kens as clad, and some of them act as if the 40% are worthless.

A friend of mine, who is 64, once asked if I found any clad, and the only thing that came to my mind was "Yeah, the last 17 boxes I opened were solid clad!!!"

On this website, it is referred to, most generally, as 40% and 90%, and everything else is clad.

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but that is the main reason to "Buy Them All" even if you suspect a dump. Many of times the older CRH'ers still don't cull the 40%'ers. Their hard-fast rule is 64 and earlier. Where I live, there are so many retirees that have all day to drive around from bank to bank asking for halves. Many of times the 40%'ers are left behind.

i trade my 1964 kens for barber halves at my local shop. common date, good to very good condition coins. i love it! also got a xf 1937d walker for the price of a 64 ken. you never know what kind of trade they will do! i hope u have good of luck with your trade!

When I was working at the bank in the mid 80's, clads were the 40%'s. I had never heard the term used for non-silver till I got on this board.

With respect to worthless, yeah, back then they were in theory worth about 60 cents, maybe 75; finding a buyer was another story. Generally not worth the effort to keep them. I recycled literally hundreds of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back